Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exaggerated "CRUNCH" Sounds In Ads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exaggerated "CRUNCH" Sounds In Ads
    Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:52am
I think it's incredibly funny to see people biting into foods on commercials and the sound that eminates from their mouths is akin to an entire forest-full of redwoods coming down.  I have never made a crunching noise that loud in my life.  Here's an example from good ol' Ellio's frozen pizza.  Beware of the deafening CRUNCHING sound.   I don't want anyone here ending up with permanent tinnitus!  LOL  

"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Sponsored Links

Heygusgus View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heygusgus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:54am
Like in the 'pencil shaving' cereal, god, its not even that crunchy.
What should we do?- Michael cera
Ryan Ferneau View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:55am
On Death Note there was this guy biting the loudest chocolate bar ever!
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:08pm
Does anyone remember the classic Wesson Oil ad, with Florence Henderson and the fried chicken?

Best crunch ever.

I can't find it on youtube - sorry.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:17pm
WHY,OH WHY did you bring up fried chicken???? I looooooooooooove fried chicken!!!!! now I'll be craving it all day and I'm not supposed to be eating it! Do they make fried chicken flavored rice cakes???
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:18pm
There are two on youtube, but they don't have the Wessonality song, Holly.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:37pm
I think it may be a union thing. Gotta keep those sound effects technichians employed.

It's like those old TV shows where a car is skidding around & spinning it's tires in the dirt, but you hear all this screaching & sqealing.

They're just trying to enhance our viewing experience, God bless em.

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 3:57pm
I always thought those commercials for Nestle's Crunch were strange. How can a candy bar make the EXACT SAME crunching sound every time you bite into it? Confused
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 4:02pm
There are tiny little computer chips embedded in the chocolate along with the crunchy things that create that sound via a pre-recorded mp3 file.

They also keep track of everything you eat & how often you go to the bathroom.

It's all for marketing purposes.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 4:57pm
Enhanced sound effects in any ad bother me. There was one a while back where some dude is fixing a "thoughtful, gourmet" dinner, and everything is cut sloooow and with care and every slice and drip is LOUD and CRISP.

There is a new Pace picante sauce ad that is doing this.
It grates on my last nerve.
It doesn't make me think of the freshness, and it doesn't whet my appetite with anticipation and urgency.

Stupid.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 5:40pm
Not exactly the same thing but I also hate ads that feature milk or juice or some liquid being slowly poured into a glass and it splashes up into a Hawaii 5-0 type of wave, complete with droplets. I suppose it's meant to be artistic but it makes me think of a big mess.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Ryan Ferneau Ryan Ferneau wrote:

On Death Note there was this guy biting the loudest chocolate bar ever!
I saw that! it was weird
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:26pm
Another OreIda french fry ad...this time the b.s. involves the CRUNCH of the fry.  They snap a competitor's fry...no sound.  When they bend the OreIda fry, however, it makes an earth-shattering noise!  I'd actually be scared if my french fry made such a sound! ConfusedShocked
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 10:36am
Then there's the Snap Into a Slim Jim commercials where the snap sounds like someone using a bullwhip. Damn it I want to look badass snappin' my slim jim.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

There are tiny little computer chips embedded in the chocolate along with the crunchy things that create that sound via a pre-recorded mp3 file.

So, you have a chocolate bar making a crunching sound while being ingested, and then another "chocolate bar" making the same crunching sound being "released".

Honey, what's that crunchy sound in there?
That's my Nestles Crunch bar.
You're eating a Nestles Crunch bar in the bathroom???!!
No.

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

There is a new Pace picante sauce ad that is doing this.
It grates on my last nerve.
It doesn't make me think of the freshness, and it doesn't whet my appetite with anticipation and urgency.

Stupid.

YES!!! That Pace ad gets on my nerves, too. The overdone closeups of the seeds and dirt; the loud breaking sound of the jalapeƱo pepper with the seeds flying; the way they show the guy slicing  the pepper with his knife and the WHOOSH sound it makes and the SHWOOP of the can being opened. That ad bothered so much but I couldn't put into words why. You just did it for me. Thank you.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Not exactly the same thing but I also hate ads that feature milk or juice or some liquid being slowly poured into a glass and it splashes up into a Hawaii 5-0 type of wave, complete with droplets. I suppose it's meant to be artistic but it makes me think of a big mess.

Not only that but it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo over frickin done!!!!!

It's almost like an unwritten rule that when you do a beverage commercial you HAVE TO show the stuff being poured into a glass in slow-mo so we can see it cascading all over creation.

WOW.

I'm so impressed I'm gonna rush out & buy a jug or a bottle or a carton of whatever piss you're selling AND a high speed camera so I can re-create that awesome, mind-blowing experience right in my very own home!!!!!!!

Oh, and another thing they do that I frickin hate is the old "slices of fruit flying thru the cascading water" bit. I wonder how much perfectly good water & fruit they waste by having a couple of people right off camera pouring & slinging take after take after take after take all day long. Because you know damn well they don't just do it a couple of times & call it a wrap. I imagine a good fifty or a hundred gallons of water goes down the drain & a couple of bushels of fruit go in the trash just so some fussy commercial director can get the "perfect shot".

Jerks.

Just show me a glass of whatever it is & knock off all artsy-shmartsy crapola.

8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 3:20am
Whether it's the crunch emulating from the bite of a Cheeto or from a Taco Bell ad just before the sound of the bell, this sound effect is entirely overplayed in all advertising. 
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 1:20pm
The cereal eating office worker that couldn't hear his boss was the worst.
ozric1847 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozric1847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:12pm

Recent Hardees ads come to mind.

Sexy trucker chick(yeah right)
Announcer: "Jalapeno Thickburger" crunch crunch "friiiiiiiiiies" crunch "and a coke" slurp slurp.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 10:37pm
Nestle's Crunch also comes to mind, they always have that exaggerated CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH sound on their ads, but when I actually bite into their bars I only get a puny little "krick" followed by smaller crunches.

Nothing even remotely like the dramatic CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHH  sound in their ads. LOL 
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:15am
Originally posted by 8 Track Single 8 Track Single wrote:

Whether it's the crunch emulating

Emanating?
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Heygusgus View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heygusgus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:21am
What about the ugly little girl crunching that god forsaking vlasic pickle?
Heygusgus View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heygusgus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 12:23am
god i hate that commercial
blast-off-girl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blast-off-girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 3:55am
This thread reminds me of those commercials featuring computer keyboards.  No modern keyboard makes loud clicking sounds anymore; most of them are the silent key.  Every time I see that stupid Disney vacation commercial where the mom types, I get annoyed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic