Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bathfitters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bathfitters
    Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 1:51am
I Censored hate these stupid commercials.  The one with the hispanic lady talking about how her husband says a new bathroom is too expensive drives me nuts.  They way she talks makes me want to rip off her bottom lip.  I don't know if she is trying to pout when she talks or not but it reminds me of a sad three year old.  Not to mention, it seems like they are trying to pass off the whole "obedient housewife" bit, it irritates me.
Sponsored Links

doggiethedog View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doggiethedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:50am
Another one features a young twentysomething black woman who bought her first house but wanted to do something about the bathroom because it looked like it was from the 70s(ya know, avocado-colored tubUnhappy). So she found out about Bath Fitter(and spent megabux to put what's probably a plastic overlay over her tub along with the walls surrounding it), and her bathroom ...
"Went from 1970 to 2007 in JUST ONE DAY!!!"ClapClap
(Give this young babe a cookie....)

Note to this young chick...
If you think your blasted bathtub is outdated cause it's avocado, save your money and find paint, decorations, and imagination to find ways to complement that ugly tub so it won't be such an "eyesore". After all, YOU USE THE THING DAILY TO SHOWER/BATHE AND WHATNOT!!! Who cares what color it is!!! Like people come visit you to see your freaking bathroom!!!
And with the money you save, you can probably make a mortgage payment or two...
Sometimes you feel like an Idol
Sometimes you feel like an Idiot
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 12:02pm
I hate both of those, for the exact same reasons you've both described.

There's another with an older single mom, with an eight-year-old-daughter.  She emphasizes the "T" in eight when she says it, which is highly annoying.

She has wet hair (I think) in part of it, also annoying; and the way she speaks throughout makes you know she's one of those nerved-out women who are constantly at their wit's end, cautiously anticipating disaster at every single moment.  
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 2:18pm

HollyRock, I always referred to that witch as the "Had my kid late in life" woman.

If I'm not mistaken, she also says "They were done in ABOOT 4 hours"

The artist formerly known as Madawee

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 3:39pm
She does say that!

I think of her as the "Married-An-Ass-Who-Dumped-Her-And-She-Never-Got-Over-It-Lady."

(And the ass could very well be the guy on the DirectBuy commercial, who's clearly married to someone at least 15 years younger and light years more attractive than he is, if we were to measure attractiveness in "light years.")

I'll search for threads on DirectBuy.  'Got some hatin to do, on them.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Bena View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:21pm
I hate the one with the old lady who also over-enunciates the T's in "BathfiTTer," and talks about the installer being "a real charmer" right in front of her husband (who at this point probably wishes she had run off with the Charmer from BathfiTTer.)
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

I'll search for threads on DirectBuy.  'Got some hatin to do, on them.

There were a Thread or 2 on Direct Buy long ago, it might've been on the old board. Some of the members here had even went to and then commented on.

Quite an expensive membership fee.
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 8:28pm
I've seen a commercial(it might be for this, or for windows-I can't remember) but it features a guy and his wife who wants something fixed.     And this guy is obviously pussy-whipped.   He talks about how his wife calls him "loverboy" every time she wants something.     And they're both kinda old, that increases the creepiness/nasty-ness. LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 11:14pm
Based on these sorts of commercials (and the home improvement shows, as well) you'd think that everyone has a huge and potentially beautiful bathroom.  I have 2.5 baths, the largest one featuring about 3'x5' of standing room.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 11:22pm
Yeah, how much room do you need for a bathroom?   As long as it's functional, it's the right size.
B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 1:56pm
I think Bathfitter or any similar service can have a nice result. I've known a couple of people who've had it done, and their "fake" features look like pure marble.  Gorgeous.

I live in an itsy bitsy apartment with a tiny bathroom.  The place is okay overall, but the bathroom is ridiculously rundown and grungy looking, no matter how much I scrub it.  Cracking tiles, disintegrating grout, worn down dirty looking floor/corners, the whole nine yards.  It's not like I have to "show" my bathroom, but honestly, it's embarrassing when I do have visitors because it LOOKS so dirty (when it's really so clean it SHOULD be sparkling.)  I've taken it upon myself to touch up the paint and grout on occasion, but there'd be no way it'd be worth it to get some expensive new bathroom complete with contractors, etc., for such an old so-so place; so I always think how nice it would be to just get one of those cheap Bathfitter overlays.  My type of situation seems like the best "market" for such a service.

One of these days I'll drop a hint at my landlord...we'll see how far THAT takes me! Ermm
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 10:32pm
Something about this whole bathfitter concept at re-doing a bathroom makes me wonder, what happens if the new fixture is covering up old mold?

The idea seems convenient, but I just think there's going to be some pretty sick people in the future from this process.
One man gathers what another man spills
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 10:58pm
^^^^ Someone like Bathfitters wouldn't do that Jimmy. I wouldn't think, anyway. Mold is a big issue in homes nowadays. The legal issues with mold far outweighs how cheap it is to kill mold with bleach.
I do it all the time when turning an apartment unit.
Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by msdeli msdeli wrote:

They way she talks makes me want to rip off her bottom lip.  I don't know if she is trying to pout when she talks or not but it reminds me of a sad three year old. 
   LOL is that Nadia Suleman....lol...that's what I feel like when that nutcase speaketh!Wacko
plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
doggiethedog View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doggiethedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 6:10am
Was able to catch an episode of A&E's "Flip This House" this afternoon where the gal who's trying to fix up the dump to make it saleable actually PAINTED an butt-ugly canary yellow bathtub and the surround with special paint made for that purpose (surprise- did not know it existed), which consisted of a can of paint and a can of something else that you combine before putting it on the fixture.Shocked

Wonder how long that will last?? A week???Confused
Sometimes you feel like an Idol
Sometimes you feel like an Idiot
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by doggiethedog doggiethedog wrote:

Maybe the product kit consists of one can of spray paint, three gallons of "touch-up", and a special trap to catch all the chips that find their way into the drain.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

^^^^ Someone like Bathfitters wouldn't do that Jimmy. I wouldn't think, anyway. Mold is a big issue in homes nowadays. The legal issues with mold far outweighs how cheap it is to kill mold with bleach.

Yeah.  I'm sure that's part of it.  I can't imagine the installer would either not deal with the mold or keep such info from a homeowner.  As licensed contractors, they're probably bound by law to disclose the mold.  As businessmen, they'd want to provide the homeowner the solution, so they could continue on with the project.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by doggiethedog doggiethedog wrote:

Was able to catch an episode of A&E's "Flip This House" this afternoon where the gal who's trying to fix up the dump to make it saleable actually PAINTED an butt-ugly canary yellow bathtub and the surround with special paint made for that purpose (surprise- did not know it existed), which consisted of a can of paint and a can of something else that you combine before putting it on the fixture.Shocked

Hadn't seen that show, so I'm guessing she's mixing some kind of epoxy. It can be done but the prep looks time consuming.
.......................................................................................
Question:
What can I use to paint a bathtub surround that will not peel?

Answer:
You don't mention what your tub surround is made from, so I'm guessing it's fiberglass and yes you can paint fiberglass with proper preparation and taking your time. First sand the entire area you want to paint with very fine grit sandpaper (330 or so). You aren't trying to sand off the surface (gel coat) just make it slightly hazy. Next clean the tub surround with diluted Muriatic acid and then rinse all the dust and acid off with clean water and let the surround dry completely. Prime with a good quality primer and then apply good epoxy paint in the color of your choice. Use a spray gun (or spray can) to apply the paint. Brushing or rolling will not give you a smooth finished appearance. Once the epoxy paint has dried you're ready to enjoy your new tub surround.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Yeah.  I'm sure that's part of it.  I can't imagine the installer would either not deal with the mold or keep such info from a homeowner.  As licensed contractors, they're probably bound by law to disclose the mold.  As businessmen, they'd want to provide the homeowner the solution, so they could continue on with the project.

When I left the framing business, mold was becoming a big issue. Any stick of lumber that had mold on it was put to the side. Simply using it regardless meant the building inspecter would find it and then all work(other Trades) stopped until the mold was gone.
They have mold inspecters nowadays. If someone were to get sick after a recent remodel,
they'd be would be called in to check.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic