Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bring back Variety Shows Yes or No?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: How many of you would like to see the return of "Variety Shows"
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [41.18%]
9 [52.94%]
1 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bring back Variety Shows Yes or No?
    Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 9:50pm
How many of you would like to see the return of the good old fashioned Variety Shows?  I mean with all the hype of American Idol and Dancing with the Stars, it looks like people are still drawn to watching singing and dancing..heck throw in some comedy and you have yourself a variety show.  Rosey made a very awful attempt shame on her, but someone with some smarts I am sure could produce a fantastic one for this day and age.  

plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
Sponsored Links

shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 10:05pm
I'd give it a fair watch.
I was a fan of variety as a kid.
Carol Burnette and Laugh in were some great shows.
Tony Orlando and The Osmonds were ok but again I was a kid and easy to please.

I think Tracy Ullman tried to revive that and was good for a short while.
was feeling nostalgic
Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 10:07pm

The Tracey Ullman show was good, I forgot about that!

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 10:28pm
I voted no. Now if a channel were to show the above mentioned Variety shows( Carol Burnett) , I'd vote yes.
Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 11:50pm
I'd create a talk-show\ variety show hybrid.

Open with rocking featured band
Interviews
variety act
Close with featured band.

I watch and like Craig Fergeson but he really needs some quality segments. Either that or bring back the 30 minute mono log which is why I started watching him in the first place.   

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 2:42am
I'm guessing that if they did attempt to bring them back, they'd lack the charm & innocence of the originals. I'm sure they'd find some way to make them suck.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 2:51am
No.  I agree with Jimbo.  I don't think it would work.  We're too "niche" these days, and there's way too many options (cable, internet, video games, etc.) to satisfy that nichiness.  Besides, sometimes, it's best to leave the past be.

Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 3:09am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I'm guessing that if they did attempt to bring them back, they'd lack the charm & innocence of the originals. I'm sure they'd find some way to make them suck.

Yeah, I think you're right.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 8:47pm
...but, they almost have that type of show now with Dancing with the Stars, American Idol.....just roll them into one big fat ..........show.Thumbs%20Up
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 10:24pm
If you're talking about along the lines of Americas Got (so-called) Talent then I say

NO!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 10:39pm
I enjoy "American Idol" despite the judges and the other commercial hype.  The kids are simply amazing and talented.

I said in another topic that as I am old, I remember the heyday of tv variety shows and miss them.  Jimbo and Thor are probably right..they just wouldn't work today. 

Off topic...the Hootette and I went to the Ringling circus last Saturday night.  She had never been to a circus, so I surprised her.  We may have been the only 50+ adults there without kids, but it was a blast! 
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 11:41pm

I thought the kids on "So you think you can Dance" were amazing as well...what happened to that show?

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 4:47pm
I voted "no" because there's pretty much no more genuinely talented people to put on these shows. LOL

I mean... I heard John Mayer is getting his own variety show... John Mayer??? Are you f-ing kidding me??
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 11:35pm
Maybe a show LOVE AMERICAN STYLE would do better?

I can definitely see the mindless asshats who control tv totally f**king the concept up.
All they do is try to improve a good thing, and bam, instant death.
The innocence is gone from our entertainment these days.  Wishful thinking and memories are all we have.  Gratefully there are DVDs and internet for the oldies.
was feeling nostalgic
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

I voted "no" because there's pretty much no more genuinely talented people to put on these shows. LOL

I mean... I heard John Mayer is getting his own variety show... John Mayer??? Are you f-ing kidding me??

Who is John Mayer?Sleepy
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 12:15am
meh, he needs to stick to singing.
was feeling nostalgic
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 1:09am
I don't care for John Mayer's singing, but he can sure play the guitar.  I saw him on one of the Crossroad's specials....
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 2:25am
Variety shows will only be as good as the talent that can be drawn from.

Besides today there are so many media outlets, it's almost not practical.

When I was a kid, variety shows were a place I might get a rare glimpse of a favorite band.

Now, there's YouTube.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 3:22am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Variety shows will only be as good as the talent that can be drawn from.

Besides today there are so many media outlets, it's almost not practical.

When I was a kid, variety shows were a place I might get a rare glimpse of a favorite band.

Now, there's YouTube.

I'm a fan of Youtube, but the immediate availability of videos sort of cheapens the experience.  That is, there's just no excitement in "getting a rare glimpse".  It's there whenever you want it.

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 9:53pm
I liked "Wayne Brady Show" when it was a Summer Replacement Show on ABC.

Too bad they didn't give Wayne Brady another year.Unhappy
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 11:42pm
Hey Cleaveland, love the avatar man.

Not inventing the anal-bum-cover is one of my greatest regrets.
was feeling nostalgic
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 10:37am
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

and Laugh in were some great shows.

I got annoyed by this genre of TV because of Laugh In. Ouch The suits at NBC, and Laugh In, combined to kill the third season of the original Star Trek, and I've yet to forgive Dan Rowan, Dick Martin, Goldi Hawn, Ruth Buzzi, Arte Johnson, or the others for that transgression. They were all funny people with some great routines, and the scheduling was not their fault, but that is how I feel, and I have no patience for variety shows to this day.

For those that like this type of show, I hope you get what you want. I'll be playing a DVD during that time slot. Or reading a book. Or sleeping. Or making a head call. Or catching up with the CIH forums. Anything other than yet another variety show. Dead

Just my humble opinion, since you asked. Smile

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 3:35pm
I don't think I'd call Laugh-In, a variety show.  I don't recall musical acts (or magic acts or serious readings from The King and I) being part of the show.  Laugh-In seems much more like a pure comedy show.  In that regard, SNL is more like a variety show, as it features musical performances as well as comedy.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 4:05pm
Nah.... SNL is a comedy show that features a weekly musical guest.

A variety show would be something like Ed Sullivan, or the Hollywood Palace.

They had a VARIETY of different acts that changed with every show.

Jugglers, circus acts, comedians, musicians, singers, animal acts, etc.

No donkey acts, though.

Unfortunately.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 4:15pm
Right.  SNL is a comedy show.  But what I was saying was that it has more "variety" than Laugh-In.  Laugh-In had a lot of musical performers on, but I don't recall that they performed music.  On SNL, of course, the musicians actually perform.

Of course, if we really want to watch a variety show, there's always...

There might be a few of those donkey acts on this show live, but they probably get censored out for TV.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic