Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alex Trebek just won't shut up!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alex Trebek just won't shut up!
    Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 7:13am
    Is anybody else annoyed to the point of wanting to assassinate Alex Trebek during Jeopardy? His incessant repetition of every answer given, his input on everything right or wrong, his useless tidbits that nobody gives a crap about....he runs out the time so that the players can't finish the board. And then to have to listen to the idiotic "funny" stories told by the players; what was once a favorite show has become unbearable.Angry
Sponsored Links

N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 7:37am
I know.   I hate the smug, smart people guests.   Sometimes they have the boringest story, but they act like they're the shit. LOLLOLLOL

Just once I want to hear a contestant tell as story like the following:

One time, I was getting head from this younger girl.   She had a mouth full of braces, and long story short: her braces got caught on my genital piercing.    So I had to call the rescue squad and we were wheeled into the ER on one stretcher, in the same position we got stuck.   
>Trebeck: That had to be the most embarrassing moment of your life.
Nope,  not even in my top ten.  Wanna hear another?
>Terbeck: NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!  Excuse me as I consume this box of rat poison.

Before coming to this show, I met a crackhead at the gas station.    I boned her and now I feel itchy down there.
>Trebeck: Huh?   
This isn't a story, it's a statement.    I'm about to scratch my junk off, now excuse me I have to see a doctor NOW!!!

Oh, and by the way, the contestant in the first example is a 6 foot, sturdy, rugged built woman in a flannel shirt, sensible shoes and with a butch buzz cut. LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 7:50am
 Hehe!! I feel sorry for the contestants because they are forced to tell stories and they have none, meanwhile, we're forced to listen to them. Trebek just makes my blood boil with his constant interruptions. What the hell is the purpose of the show if the contestants don't even get to answer the questions? Also, The MF has looked EXACTLY the same for over 15 years now. What's wrong with that picture? He induces the same feeling as road rage.
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 6:02pm
Has it beem that long since he shaved off the mustache?

I watched Jeopardy! religiously for the first 12 years it was on('84-'96), quit 'cold turkey'(except for seeing a couple by accident), and then, at the start of this year, finally started watching it again. My take:
1. Alex has really loosened up. He'd definitely mellowed a bit between year 1 and year 12, but he's definitely being a lot 'wittier' than he used to be. I did think he overdid it on last night's (2/19) show, when a contestant named 'Jeannie' won, and he said, 'Well, Jeannie,  won't see you in my dreams, but I WILL see you on tomorrow's show!'
2. The contestant Q & A thing is pretty much what it always has been; most contestants are taking it like their '15 seconds of fame' to make sure they have an interesting hobby or funny story, with mixed results. I've never really had a problem with this segment; it's standard for every game show since 'Name That Rock' in prehistoric days.;-D
3. What I do have a problem with is that contestants aren't as sharp as they used to be, even with somewhat 'dumbed down' clues and categories(and some of the 'kewl and clever' titles are neither 'kewl' nor clever...just gimmicky).
Between missing questions that contestants would have easily gotten right in the past, and overly-cautious wagering to win by a dollar, instead of gambling big and winning big, Final Jeopardy! has become something of an anticlimax, and games in which all 3 contestants pile up cash going into the final question are not as common as they used to be.
4. I remember being annoyed with the 'Clue Crew' when they started doing that, along with the other 'video' questions by celebs, but I seem to be getting used to it. At least the celeb questions aren't in every episode.
5. Announcer Johnny Gilbert might as well just stay home and pre-record the intros. He has a lot less to do since most of his plugs and announcements were replaced by reminders about the show's web site(no more 'snail mail' address for audience tickets and contestant tryouts), and the plugs replaced by snippets of actual ads.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 6:28pm
I think maybe Trebek has been watching too much Jeff Foxworthy.
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 9:38pm
Ha, lowercase g, I'm just cracking up imagining you getting more and more pissed off every time he says something.
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

Ha, lowercase g, I'm just cracking up imagining you getting more and more pissed off every time he says something.

It sounds insipid, doesn't it? Have you ever heard him giving his sage explanations for the correct answers already given while the contestant tries to talk over him? It inevitably ends with the sound of the bell and Alex saying, "well. it looks like we won't be able to get to that last question"? Also, I've noticed that he doesn't bend his knees when he walks....he's probably a robotic effigy of himself.
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 1:06am
    He did it again; ruined the show by talking so much s--t that he ran the clock so that 6 questions were left unanswered. Why the hell does he not only repeat the previous answers, but the questions as well? I'm done with Jeopardy. There, I said it! Who cares?Embarrassed
bmasters9 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 10:47am
Originally posted by gail gail wrote:

He did it again; ruined the show by talking so much s--t that he ran the clock so that 6 questions were left unanswered. Why the hell does he not only repeat the previous answers, but the questions as well? I'm done with Jeopardy. There, I said it! Who cares?Embarrassed

I've been done with "Jeopardy!" ever since Ken Jennings was on it. He was also responsible for ruining the show, IMHO. This is probably semi-OT, but I wish that GSN had never gotten rid of "Tic Tac Dough." From what I've seen, Thom McKee (at least to me) was a lot more interesting champion there than Ken ever was on "Jeopardy!".
bluenowait View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluenowait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 7:59pm
Really, No one else has said it? I don't think anyone else will say it, so I think now's my chance.

[Breathes in]

SUCK IT, TREBEK!!
t(ò_ót) Double Deuce!
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 8:09pm
  He's either been botoxed into catatonia or he's become an avatar. His face doesn't move and his legs drag robotically.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 8:12pm
Gail...my friend.
Be nice to Alex.
Dead

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Gail...my friend.
Be nice to Alex.
Dead

Alas PaW, I've tried. But times, they are a changing when he is moving so slowly that even I can run out the categories!Ouch
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 9:04pm
It's gotta be good times when you find Alex Trebek as a major source of frustration in your life.  LOL
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

It's gotta be good times when you find Alex Trebek as a major source of frustration in your life.  LOL

Jeopardy used to be a guilty pleasure....the kind where if you were able to answer the questions you could give yourself an 'attaboy". When a show like that becomes so dumbed down, it makes a huge societal statement.
    For your info, I like Alex Trebek but he's fun to pick on. As are you, MM.Clap
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 9:33pm

Jeopardy used to be a guilty pleasure....the kind where if you were able to answer the questions you could give yourself an 'attaboy". When a show like that becomes so dumbed down, it makes a huge societal statement.

I am honored.  Embarrassed

Alex Trebek just borders on having a personality.  Wink

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 10:31pm
Actually, in recent weeks, they've  had several shows where they've done every clue on the board, in one or both rounds, in spite of Trebek's verbosity(a French-Canadian word meaning 'talking too damn much'.)  However, I thought that on Friday's show they'd be sure to finish the category of Trebek's 'memories of the CBC', but he actually talked too much on the prior clue and they ran out of time.
Also, they could save more time by not doing so many clues that consist of audio or video clips, unless they're Daily Doubles.
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 11:07pm

I hope you know I was kidding; you're fun to post with, not pick on. as for Alex Trebek...I think what we're seeing is his replacement with a bioengineered clone. They showed him 'supposedly" playing hockey (by himself, no less). It looked as though someone had given him a shove and that someone else was on the other side to catch him (hopefully).
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 11:40pm
'Jeopardy' is the intelligent drunk's favorite 5:30 P.M. show!!! During the 'Raleigh Days'; for ten years, a group of us kept "Pro Row" (our very own side of the bar/stools with names on each stool and each in an exact location); a bar that has gone by the wayside in Rocky Mount, N.C,) 100% occupied, all blurting out the answers, or arguing about the 'Final Jeopardy' answer before revealed...granted, there has been a long stint in Texas, and now the 'R&R Life on Wolf Island' since I've watched Alex on a regular basis, but heck - he's still my buddy.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Irishman Irishman wrote:

Actually, in recent weeks, they've  had several shows where they've done every clue on the board, in one or both rounds, in spite of Trebek's verbosity(a French-Canadian word meaning 'talking too damn much'.)  However, I thought that on Friday's show they'd be sure to finish the category of Trebek's 'memories of the CBC', but he actually talked too much on the prior clue and they ran out of time.
Also, they could save more time by not doing so many clues that consist of audio or video clips, unless they're Daily Doubles.

The audio and video clues are annoying to the point of no return. It should ber titled "Jeopardy for Idiots".
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 12:10am
Trebek rules.  If he were such an annoyance, then he would not have lasted all these years.  Now, don't get me started on Sajak.....
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 12:25am

I hope you know I was kidding; you're fun to post with, not pick on. as for Alex Trebek...I think what we're seeing is his replacement with a bio-engineered clone. They showed him 'supposedly" playing hockey (by himself, no less). It looked as though someone had given him a shove and that someone else was on the other side to catch him (hopefully).

I totally believe you were kidding.  That's why I put the bashful smile after saying I'm honored and not an angry one.  Of course you have to realize that I was also joking with you when I replied to your comment.

Like I was saying, I thought your comment was extremely peculiar, "someone should assassinate him", about a guy who barely has a personality.  LOL

Polarizing people usually bring that response, Bill Maher, Bill O'Reilly, Keith Obermann, Ann Coulter.....etc.  Alex Trebek?  LOL

gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 2:11am
   He's been dead for a long time. I should have just said "dismantle" him .
Banquo View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banquo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 10:35pm
Be thankful he's still the host, look what happened to The Price is Right. When Alex Trebek retires they'll probably replace him with Ray Romano or George Lopez. Confused
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Banquo Banquo wrote:

Be thankful he's still the host, look what happened to The Price is Right. When Alex Trebek retires they'll probably replace him with Ray Romano or George Lopez. Confused

or Howie Mandel...Dead

He doesn't bother me as much and since I saw old episodes of him (Alex Trebek) hosting Double Dare on Game Show Network, I've gotten more appreciative of him still sticking around as a game show host.

but man I'm LOLing at the hair he use to have way back then!LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic