Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gus From "Psych" For Directv: Bank Robbery(video)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gus From "Psych" For Directv: Bank Robbery(video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gus From "Psych" For Directv: Bank Robbery(video)
    Posted: 01 Feb 2009 at 8:07am
Shame on you, Dulé Hill, for advertising for this crap company!!!     These past few weeks, the Direc TV commercial with Hellboy has been on frequent rotation.   Then, I see another ad with a bank robbery, and the guy on the floor scheduling recordings by cellphone is Dulé Hill, AKA Gus from the show Psych.    Immediately I thought shame, for advertising for them.   I know times are bad and jobs are jobs, but Directv?  C'mon!!!DeadDeadDeadDead

Directv sucks.   Big time!!  AngryAngryAngry    Not only is their customer service the worst in the industry, but their reception is shit.    Whenever it rains, thunderstorms, snow, heavy clouds, etc the goddamn TV goes out.    We had the displeasure of having this company for about a year(because the bastards force you into a year with a contract) and it was the longest, worst year of my life.    It's really amazing how you take something like a working TV for granted. Wink  

Long story short, Psych is one of my favorite shows.    It's also in HD on USA HD.   Even though I could have USA HD (and a buttload of other channels in HD) TODAY with Directv, I'd rather stick with cable and very few channels.   And no USA HDCryCryCryCryUnhappyUnhappyUnhappy

Here's a better commercial I found on Utube!!

Sponsored Links

erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2009 at 6:48pm

DirecTV's customer service is the worst in the industry?  That's news to me, since they are consistently among the top-rated services by JD Power every year.  This past year only AT&T U-Verse and Verizon Fios were rated higher.  And they "force" you into a contract?  Did a DirecTV rep hold a gun to your head while you signed up?  Pretty sure you would have been doing that of your own will.

I will admit that DirecTV's ad campaigns are annoying, but it sounds like you just had a bad experience so now you make generalizations about a company  that are completely unfounded.  If you want some of the worst service you can get in the television industry, go sign up with Comcast or TimeWarner.  Then you will see what bad customer service is really like.  And you don't even have to sign a contract to get their terrible service!
Glitch View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2009 at 9:12pm
Most satellite companies claim that their TV service is "space age" and "a gift from heaven" and all that, but they're not.  During bad storms, the reception goes bad - that's why I go with Cox digital cable.  Costs less, and better reception as well.  Cool
Mankind is divided into two classes: those who earn their living by the sweat of their brow, and those who sell them handkerchiefs, cold drinks, and electric fans.
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2009 at 10:13pm
We have Time Warner now.   Not many problems.    The only problem was getting HD installed, we had to wait for an installer and a service call.    Other than that, the only problem is the lines can be long at their billing/service center.   But their phone service is better.   Last time we called to change premium services, they answered right away and everything was taken care of quickly.    More problems with Directv in one year than with cable in many years.

And it's hardly a generalization.   Other people I've talked to have had similar problems.   Then, OTOH, one of my relatives had Directv for several years and actually liked itShocked.   I guess it depends on the person.    I'm a cable person.   I'd always recommend cable. Wink

And that JD Power rating is mind boggling.    The year we had them, they bragged about their "excellent customer service", as it took almost an hour waiting on the phone to ge the damn local channels to work.    And even that required another call, more waiting for an overseas phone service represenative.    Angry
alex9152 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex9152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 6:30pm
FiOS subscriber here, because Comcast kept stripping me of channels, and cable internet slows down when more people in the neighborhood uses it. Really happy with the TV service except that the new channels require I upgrade to "Extreme HD" level.

I remember back when I had Dish Network. Better than Crumbcast.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 7:28pm
This commercial doesn't bother me, at least it doesn't have strange visuals,unlike H&R Block's cyclopes.Dead
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:09pm
I've had DirecTV since November and I like it.  I had Dish Network before and their SD picture quality isn't as good as Direct's.  Before I had Charter, which I've heard is the worst-run of the big cable companies.
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:27pm
As much griping as I hear about Comacast, I wish we had them here.   I'd take the troubles just to have more HD channels.    I wish we had Cablevision here, they're better than TWC.    Hell, even Adelphia was better than TWC!!!   LOL   And they royally sucked balls!!

TWC here doesn't give a ratsass about HD.   They keep saying"we're working on it" and "we're always adding new HD channels".   But nothing has been added since September 2008.    Big Ten network HD.   A few Ohio State games and one odd Zips game.   Whoopee!!!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 5:13am
I've had DirecTV for 9 years.  (My landlord would never allow the cable company to put holes in the building.  For years and years, we had only crappy reception of local channels.)

Anyway, sometimes during bad weather there are freezing and pixellation problems, and sometimes it happens for no obvious reason whatsoever.  But aside from that, most of it the time I'm happy with it.  I've always had success with their service by phone; I think once I was on hold for longer than 5 minutes.  Then again, I've hardly ever had to call them.

As for this commercial, it look like it's another one where they took a scene from a movie and inserted the DirecTV stuff.

N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 7:13am
I'm confused.   Wouldn't Directv also put holes in the building?   Lines run from the dish to the TV sets.   And if I remember correctly, they have to run separate lines to each TV set that has service.   I remember a line running around the outside of the house, real eyesore.  

But with cable one or two lines in, then distribution throughout the building.   Interesting. Confused
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 7:15am
Or how about snow.   Of course you don't get the treat of snow in San Fransisco like we do in Ohio.    That was guaranteed to foul up reception.   First it was the falling snow, then it was accumulation on the dish itself.  

One of the neighbors has a dish on his porch roof.   He was out there today shoveling the roof and sweeping the dish off.    I laughed as I watched my flawless cable TV picture.   Same thing during the heavy snow. LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 2:58pm

I live in Wisconsin, so no stranger to snow, & have had DirecTV for about 7 years.  I love it.  I'd say on average about twice a year our satellite goes out.  I can't think of  a time it went out in the winter, due to the snow.  It's usually in the spring when we have bad thunderstorms.  I've had a few issues that required me to call customer service, & have had very GOOD service from them. 

Also, that clip is a modified scene from the show Psych.  For those who haven't seen it, the show is awesome!  One of my favs..

Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 4:13pm
Same here. 

Although, I understand a lot of it has to do with having an unobstructed view from your dish to the satellite.  We have a lot of tall pine trees, and live in a somewhat hilly area, so it was a real challenge getting our set up such that it could receive a strong enough signal, regardless of the weather.  If it moves even a quarter of an inch, no signal.

That said, we rarely lose a signal for weather.  Years ago, we'd lose it more often, than we seem to now.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
mbaker View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 10:47am
Just one more reason not to subscribe to Direct TV. These people try waaaaay to hard!
If it's got wings, i can crash it!
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 6:23pm
To correct the title of your post,
I believe Dule Hill is most commonly known as "The Black Guy from West Wing".
TheNilvarg View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNilvarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 9:49pm
I think this is a pretty good commercial. However, I'm not sure what they're parodying by having Alan Tudyk and Gus in the same scene. Were they in some show or movie together?
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:28am
Topic Title Changed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic