Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"I wanna go to Friendly's!!!" NOT!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "I wanna go to Friendly's!!!" NOT!!!
    Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 1:41am

Anyone seen these ads for Friendly's Restaurant?

They have this item called (I'm not kidding) the "Happy Ending". Shocked

It's some kind of icecream sundae, I believe.

I wonder if the people at Friendly's home office have the slightest clue as to what that alludes to.

From one blog article about it: "I was at Friendly's yesterday, was taken aback when the teenage waitress asked if I wanted a happy ending. My wife said I would have to wait until I got home." 

I suppose the guy who prepares them enjoys his job, and you certainly can't say that they're not at least trying to live up to their name.

All I know is that I ain't gonna be eatin there.

Makes me wonder what other items have a "Happy Ending" in them.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 4:24pm
I'm not sure about how new Friendly's are in the Florida area, but I grew up in an area of strong Friendly's presence (they were and are EVERYWHERE) and the Happy Ending has been around for years; as long as I remember.  Basically, it just means a small ice cream and, as the signs state, is often free with specific entrees.

I've gotten my "Happy Ending" for many, many years! Wink
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 4:57pm
This has been known FOR YEARS, even back in the early 90's everybody knew about it.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 10:51pm
Yeah, I hate the thought of an otherwise innocent phrase being claimed by the world of smut. So I say Friendly's gets to keep it, and let teenage boys snicker all they want.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 10:55pm
Ice cream is DEFINITELY a happy ending, no matter what the season is. Thumbs%20Up
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 11:21pm
We don't have any friendlys restaurants here.

But how stupid to keep using something that has an obvious innuendo.    I probably couldn't keep a straight face if they asked me about a "happy ending".

LOL
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 11:29pm
I didn't know "happy ending" stood for something else other than Friendly's ice cream until a few years ago. When I heard someone mention getting a massage with a happy ending, I thought "since when do massage parlors serve ice cream?"
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

I didn't know "happy ending" stood for something else other than Friendly's ice cream until

I  learned of that from this thread.  Although, it's not difficult to figure out - but really - smutty innuendo can be created from almost any otherwise-positive phrase, by teenage boys.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2009 at 10:32pm
Well, it's not just teenage boys as some have implied, but following along the same lines, maybe they could have some kind of lemonade fountain drink & call it a "Golden Shower". Or maybe they could give away small birthday cakes on your birthday with lit candles on it that you have to blow out & they could call it a "Birthday Blowjob".

Why not? Means nothing, afterall.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 1:55pm
<official non-violent/no-hate post>

Yea, I did a 'topic search', but NO, I did not modify it all all...couldn't wait any longer - kind of like rushing to 'drop that dump'...

"Ice cream makes a meal! Woooo!"

I despise that soccer-mom with a bunch of brats in the Suburban commercial so very much...Dead
Wonder if that horn would still honk AFTER stuffing a sock in her mouth?

It is simply beyond me why 'Friendly's' is STILL running this one. Haven't been near one since they started it (hey 'Friendly's' - take a hint! ).

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 2:09pm
Yeah, I hate the way she shakes her head bck & forth like she's some kind of 60's Go-Go dancer doing the watusi.

Idiotic looking.

C'mon, man!
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 5:12pm
You guys try spending the majority of your quality time carting kids around, and see how normal you feel at the end of the day.  LOL
Commercial Failure View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commercial Failure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 3:31pm
I think they've had the "Happy Ending" since the 80's. I'm 28 and have remembered them offering it since I was a little kid.

Those who are offended should lighten up. It's not like they just came up with the name, and even if they did, for me you have to really have your mind in the gutter to snicker at "Happy Ending".

I guess they should stop making movies or writing books that have happy endings too I suppose?
What am I supposed to bitch about when my show comes back on?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 3:39pm
WHAT THE HELL???!!!
How'd you pick your UserName? Are you SURE you are on the right board? The "BarneyBoard" is that way ===>>>
That commercial is annoying - and, well, we are actually ALLOWED to be and say exactly THAT without 'lightening up', on 'Commercials I HATE'.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commercial Failure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 8:17pm
I know where I am, thank you. Don't get me wrong, the commercial is terrible, I was simply talking to the people who have made comments about the meaning behind happy ending and how clueless could friendly's be that they name the dessert such.

No need to bite my head off. Maybe someone could use a happy ending? Ice cream or other, your choice :P
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Commercial Failure Commercial Failure wrote:

I think they've had the "Happy Ending" since the 80's. I'm 28 and have remembered them offering it since I was a little kid.

Those who are offended should lighten up. It's not like they just came up with the name, and even if they did, for me you have to really have your mind in the gutter to snicker at "Happy Ending".

I guess they should stop making movies or writing books that have happy endings too I suppose?

You may not get the humor behind a national restaurant chain naming a high profile menu item that they even run ads specifically about, after a euphemism for ejaculating after a hand-job "massage", but many of us do.

It's quite funny when you think about it. The execs at the company have to have heard the term in that connotation before, & it is beyond me why they don't change the name of the dessert. Something like maybe "Tasty Topper" or something.

Those of us who see the humor in it get to enjoy a good chuckle, while the overly serious sourpusses don't.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

...Those of us who see the humor in it get to enjoy a good chuckle, while the overly serious sourpusses don't....

ConfusedNow...I ain't no 'sourpuss'! (I've 'softened', I tell ya - and not only in the brain).
I wasn't going to be mean...this could be the first comments from a youngster... 
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commercial Failure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 11:55pm
I love "Shut Up Newb" mentalities on forums.

The lightening up was not in reaction to people bitching about the commercial in general, it was about those who made some comments which TO ME seemed stuffy about their use of a now sexual euphemism as the name of a menu item.

That's all.
DolFan 316 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DolFan 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Commercial Failure Commercial Failure wrote:

I love "Shut Up Newb" mentalities on forums.

That's the internet for you, although I don't recall getting that reaction when I started posting earlier this month.

I'm also part of the crows that isn't up on every single sexual euphemism and considers most of them stupid anyway. So now you can;t even say "happy ending" in any context anymore without everyone assuming you're talking about sex and mocking you for not understanding why, that's just great Unhappy

It might also explain why you don't ever hear of women getting pearl necklaces from jewelry stores anymore.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 3:12am

Oh, for Pete's sake.

All you folks who are all weepy & sad over the awfulness of them yucky old sexual euphemisms & how poor helpwess widdle Friendly's Inc. can' t even advertise their  precious little ice cream dessert without it's dignity being violated & find no humor whatsover in the dual meaning of the term "Happy Ending", all I can say is maybe wet_blanket.com or stick_in_the_mud.com would be more your speed.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 3:17am
Originally posted by DolFan 316 DolFan 316 wrote:

It might also explain why you don't ever hear of women getting pearl necklaces from jewelry stores anymore.

There is no shortage of women getting pearl necklaces.

They are as popular as ever.

C'mon, man!
DolFan 316 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DolFan 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 7:56am

Oh, for Pete's sake.

All you folks who are all weepy & sad over the awfulness of them yucky old sexual euphemisms & how poor helpwess widdle Friendly's Inc. can' t even advertise their  precious little ice cream dessert without it's dignity being violated & find no humor whatsover in the dual meaning of the term "Happy Ending", all I can say is maybe wet_blanket.com or stick_in_the_mud.com would be more your speed.

Right back at ya. It's like you can't even see the irony of your post when the main reason for the commercial hate around here by far is the increasingly juvenile sexual tone of modern ads.

But do these women get them from jewelry stores? Wink
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 9:14pm

Right back at ya. It's like you can't even see the irony of your post when the main reason for the commercial hate around here by far is the increasingly juvenile sexual tone of modern ads.

We come here to have fun laughing at & making fun of crap, commercials included, not to  get all serious & pouty over the way some members express their derision or for pointing out something that just happens to be true, even if a few prudes don't like it. 

People on this forum engage in sexual inuendo all the time, but it's different because of the spirit in which it's being done. Our "juvenile sexual tone" is sarcastic in nature & not meant to try to weasel or dupe the public into buying some crappy product. There is no comparison between the two.

And quite honestly, several of us have had our fill of self righteous preachers & moralizers around here lately.

But do these women get them from jewelry stores? Wink

Yes they do. I'm just wondering where you got the idea that they don't.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 9:57pm

...And quite honestly, several of us have had our fill of self righteous preachers & moralizers around here lately....
THAT needs to be posted on the HOMEPAGE!
Amen, Brutha!
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2009 at 10:23pm
Sounds like someone's a sore loser, hmm?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic