Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The new way to say

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The new way to say
    Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 5:53pm
Don't you hate it when you're watching a show, and they use a new or different way of pronouncing a word than what is normally used? And I wouldn't mind it so much if they didn't make a point and say it EVERY OTHER SENTENCE!

Offenders include the OJ trial(bindles), Christian shows (2nd Cah-hron-ikels), and the worst, documentaries on the Discovery Channels (words like Poor-taghahzez, allinieum, and ME-thane). Granted other countries pronounce words differently. However it's clear that these shows are trying to be smug because they make such a point of it.
Sponsored Links

ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 6:40pm
How about mid-way through 2002 when every major news outlet switched to a new pronunciation of "Iraq"?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 6:42pm
le-gis-la-TORE

jur-ORE

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 8:22pm
"Osayma Bin Layden"
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 8:44pm

"Bindle"...as used in the OJ trial (and almost nowhere outside of legal/courtroom contexts), it's a piece of chemically-treated paper which is used to display trace evidence of substances. Not to be confused with 'bundle'...or with 'bindlestiff', which is the official name for the thing hobos and runaway kids would tie their belongings to while they were on the move.

"Cuh-ronicles"...all those TV 'puh-REEECH-urrrs' talk like that...JEEEEEEEEE-UH-ZUZZZZ-AHHH!
The other examples you cited are correct British pronunciations. It can be argued that it's pretentious of Americans to affect British accents (Hi, Madonna!), but if a British-made documentary has Brityish people speaking that way, just bear in mind that they'd probably make the same comments about Americans' stupid accents, and silly pronunciations.

As for 'Iraq'...my brother years ago, after hearing countless updates on the war between 'Ee-RON and Ee-ROCK' said, 'I liked it better when we just called them 'EYE RAN and EYE RACK'!
I'd like to know when and how it became 'correct' in the English language to represent that Arabic 'hard k' sound with a 'Q' at the end of a word?
The English language never allows 'Q' to be used without a 'u' following it(so never at the end of a word)...and other languages either don't have the letter 'Q', or  use it under different rules(for instance, in French, it's spelled 'Irak'.)
I think the exception for the rule is absurd.  Fuq it!LOL

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

How about mid-way through 2002 when every major news outlet switched to a new pronunciation of "Iraq"?

Do you mean "EE-rack" vs. "EYE-rack?"

Sorry, but I think the names of countries should be pronounced the way their own citizens pronounce them.  To mey, "EYE-rack" sounds hillbilly-ish.  Maybe it goes back to the derogatory way that Italians were called "EYE-talians" when they were being so discriminated against in the immigration years.

I think that once we know how to correctly pronounce someone's--person or country--name, that should become the norm.  At least for easily pronounceable names. 

I know it's probably just me, but that's how I feel. 

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Vindicated Vindicated wrote:

Don't you hate it when you're watching a show, and they use a new or different way of pronouncing a word than what is normally used? And I wouldn't mind it so much if they didn't make a point and say it EVERY OTHER SENTENCE!

Offenders include the OJ trial(bindles), Christian shows (2nd Cah-hron-ikels), and the worst, documentaries on the Discovery Channels (words like Poor-taghahzez, allinieum, and ME-thane). Granted other countries pronounce words differently. However it's clear that these shows are trying to be smug because they make such a point of it.

Bindles?  The only definition I know of the word "bindle" is the paper envelope that holds powdery substances (a flashback to the '80s for me).
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 9:05pm
Apparently, on Urban Dictionary, if you need to write 'WTF' to express a moment of utter confusion or annoyance, but it wouldn't be apporopriate to use 'WTF' in context, the acceptable alternative is...'bindle'!
Um, BINDLE??? LOL!
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 10:35pm
How about the way FOX "News" (LOLnews, ya right!) constantly misspells Osama Bin Laden's name.   The simpletons over at FOX insist on calling him Usama Bin Laden.    And they're the only one.    CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, any other news station call him Osama Bin Laden.

So, for "the new way to say", I guess he's be called U-sam-a Bin Laden. LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 12:15am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

Do you mean "EE-rack" vs. "EYE-rack?"

Sorry, but I think the names of countries should be pronounced the way their own citizens pronounce them.  To mey, "EYE-rack" sounds hillbilly-ish.  Maybe it goes back to the derogatory way that Italians were called "EYE-talians" when they were being so discriminated against in the immigration years.

I think that once we know how to correctly pronounce someone's--person or country--name, that should become the norm.  At least for easily pronounceable names. 

I know it's probably just me, but that's how I feel. 

I dunno, Faith...that would have me saying Meh-hee-co (Mexico) and Fwontz (France) and Nee-ca-rra-wa (Nicaragua) .  No way, Joe-zay.

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 12:48am
As for 'Usama' or 'Osama', Slate magazine explained it back in 2001...and even mentioned 'Moslem' vs. 'Muslim':

It's similar to the many, many different spellings of the name of the leader of Libya: 'Kaddafi'...'Qaddafi'...'Ghadafi'...'Khadafy'...'Motherf***er'...and since he renounced terrorism, and is off the 'Axis of Evil' list, 'Old pal'!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 2:37am
Oh, I'm sorry, Irishman.  I didn't see your longer post before I posted mine. 

And I guess you're right, Thor.

I haven't thought of responses yet.  I am still waking up!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Irishman Irishman wrote:

As for 'Usama' or 'Osama', Slate magazine explained it back in 2001...and even mentioned 'Moslem' vs. 'Muslim':

It's similar to the many, many different spellings of the name of the leader of Libya: 'Kaddafi'...'Qaddafi'...'Ghadafi'...'Khadafy'...'Motherf***er'...and since he renounced terrorism, and is off the 'Axis of Evil' list, 'Old pal'!

Kadaffi???  Kadaffi Duck?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 3:18am
Originally posted by N-Dizzle N-Dizzle wrote:

How about the way FOX "News" (LOLnews, ya right!) constantly misspells Osama Bin Laden's name.   The simpletons over at FOX insist on calling him Usama Bin Laden.    And they're the only one.    CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, any other news station call him Osama Bin Laden.

So, for "the new way to say", I guess he's be called U-sam-a Bin Laden. LOL

So, N-Dizzle...who exactly are the simpletons?  LOL

Nevertheless, I say, if Bin Laden wants it spelled "Usama", let's spell it "Osama".

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 6:14pm
Fox Nooz Iz Stoopid!Ermm
smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 6:35pm

Apparently, on Urban Dictionary, if you need to write 'WTF' to express a moment of utter confusion or annoyance, but it wouldn't be apporopriate to use 'WTF' in context, the acceptable alternative is...'bindle'!
Um, BINDLE??? LOL!

I just use "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot," myself. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic