Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Woman wants 'Rudolph' banned as 'religious' song..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woman wants 'Rudolph' banned as 'religious' song..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woman wants 'Rudolph' banned as 'religious' song..
    Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 8:16pm
From Wilmington, NC Star News:

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was almost grounded at Murrayville Elementary School this week after a parent complained about the classic Christmas song’s inclusion in her daughter’s upcoming kindergarten concert.
The objecting parent was upset about the words “Christmas” and “Santa” in the song, feeling that they carried religious overtones.

Rest of article here:

Bah, humbug, lady!Angry

Sponsored Links

DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 8:29pm
They had a South Park episode based upon that very issue. They had to find Christmas songs for the school play that did not have Santa, Jesus, or Christmas in it.  I could only think of a few:
Jingle Bells
The Sleigh Ride
Winter Wonderland
Frosty the Snowman
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 8:49pm
Ahhh!  The tyranny of the minority. 
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 9:31pm
That lady is a religionist.  She is prejudiced against other religions.  She must be more accepting of diversity.  Perhaps she needs diversity training.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 10:10pm
It is indeed odd how the certain few offended in the world like to try to boss around the majority many who so far outnumber them.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by DARK FATHER DARK FATHER wrote:

It is indeed odd how the certain few offended in the world like to try to boss around the majority many who so far outnumber them.

...and succeed at it!

N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 11:14pm
Huh?

I would've thought a religious b*tch would want this song banned because it is "not" religious.  

C'mon.  We need the obligatory post whining about "how secular the holiday season is"!!

LOL
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

That lady is a religionist.  She is prejudiced against other religions.  She must be more accepting of diversity.  Perhaps she needs diversity training.
What she needs is a herd of reindeer to crap down her throat.... Big%20smile
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 12:05am
I just assumed she was another one of those stereotypical atheists('I'm not religious, and nobody else should be, either!'), til a TV report I saw (and the latter part of this article) mentioned she was Jewish. Personally, I was sorry to hear that, because she's so clueless.
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 1:32am
Yeah, it's rare that somebody other than an atheist makes a stink about religion. Wonder if she would have still made the stink if they had a Hanukkah reference? I would have no problem if I went to a show and it had one.

I wish there was a way to get "Winter Wonderland" banned!
TWCFan View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWCFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 4:00am
f**k YOU RELIGIOUS EXTREMIST SOCCER MOMS! YOU DESERVE A TON OF COAL IN YOUR STOCKING!
Closing logos! Now that's something I can watch on TV.
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 5:52am
Speaking as a religious extremist, I object to that comment.  I loathe soccer.LOL
Love endures all.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 6:07am
To me she just sounds like another asshole who isn't happy unless she's making a stink about something & getting attention.

What she needs is a 2" wide leather strap across her bare ass a few times.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 6:57am
Hmm....intriguing concept!
To which she'd probably say, Oy gevalt! Is that kosher? Nu...but I should complain? My son, the doctor will look after me! So much nicer than a goyim reindeer, giving me tsuris!LOL
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 12:13pm
Seriously I'm an atheist and even I don't go this far. I don't care if towns want to have nativity scenes in front of courthouses and I also don't view kids singing Christmas Carols as cramming religion down our throats. I view it as kids having fun.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 12:26pm
The religion that this woman happens to be a part of has little to do with her intolerance.

This is simply a personal decision on her part as an individual to be a trouble maker.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 3:01pm
Stop, world! Stop, everyone! Someone has been offfended! We must all give up what we the majority love to appease this poor woman who has been victimized by being offended! All Rudolph songs must cease and desist immediately. Do not even sing them in the privacy of your home because some passerby might hear and be offended. All Rudoplph books,  DVDs, movies, and CDs must be summarily turned over to the Fuhrer to be burned or shredded (preferably burned per the Gestapo way) and anyone who knows the song must forget it or be brainwashed, hypnotized, lobotomized, or tortured to death to ensure that it never rears its offending head again. Perhaps when this is done this woman will raise her right hand in grateful salute and utter a thankful, "Sig Heil!" .
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

Seriously I'm an atheist and even I don't go this far. I don't care if towns want to have nativity scenes in front of courthouses and I also don't view kids singing Christmas Carols as cramming religion down our throats. I view it as kids having fun.

I don't care personally about any of that either, but given the times we live in, it's better for courthouses & other government buildings to steer clear of displaying religious icons, period. I think they should just stick to putting up wreaths & bells & trees & images of Santa Claus, etc. Putting up nativity scenes is just asking for a fight.  

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 4:00pm
That brings to mind the "situation" in Washington state, in which an atheist group placed a plaque next to a Nativity scene, at one of the state buildings.  It's not a pro-atheism sign as much as it's an anti-religion one, so it seems to me that it was deliberately meant to antagonize. 

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 5:30pm
I agree. People have every right to ignore religion if they want, but  I have to wonder about those who seemingly bend over backwards to pontificate (ironic choice of words!) about the 'folly and futility' of religion, or point out the 'simple/narrow-mindedness' of anyone not 'enlightened' enough to enjoy their 'Freedom From Religion'.
Nice example of 'tolerance', 'open-mindness' and all those other goddamned (excuse me...'damned by that which does not exist')Ermm touchy-feely buzzwords.
To all 'non-un-disbelievers': If you're an atheist, great, no problem...but would you mind doing what you demand of 'religious' folks, and stop rubbing everybody else's noses in it, just because your nose is out of joint?
The whole mentality that 'being an arrogant prick about atheism is acceptable, because people have been arrogant pricks about religion for centuries' excuse is old, too.
Just as religious people are becoming marginalized because others are defining them by the actions of a minority of 'believers', now the atheists are starting to be defined only by the full-time 'bitchers and moaners' who feel they need to waste money on campaigns and signs that say little more than 'religious people are doo-doo heads'.Thumbs%20Down
Considering that some atheists like to invoke Darwin's name as some sort of 'leader of the cause', I have to say that this self-centeredness seems rather...primitive!
I'd love to hear more about the 'secular-minded'  who spend their money on charitable donations to causes worthier than themselves, rather than the 'single-minded' who feel they must fill the void in their lives with self-promotional campaigns like this.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 5:47pm
I think those atheists are just making a point. If it's OK to spend taxpayer money to display religious symbols on taxpayer bought & maintained property, then it's only fair to display the tenets & beliefs of all of them.

Publicly owned property should'nt be used to promote one religion over others, or any religion period.

If they stop putting up the icons of one religion to the exclusion of all others, the atheists will stop as well.

Why is it so wrong for atheists to express their beliefs on public property, but it's OK for Christians to do so? 

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 6:06pm
I don't think many Christians would have had a problem with atheists expressing their beliefs on public property.  But why did it have to be in the form of an attack on Christians?  It's not as if the Christians had put up a display depicting non-believers as destined to burn in hell.

I've never seen any Nativity scene (or any Christmas display for that matter) that showed atheists engulfed in flames.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 6:15pm
Here are two symbols of the winter solstice that could have been used.  Much more respectful AND respectable:

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 6:19pm
What do you suggest they put up? A manger scene with a baby in it & sign over it saying "This baby is not the son of God."?  Or "Regular non-savior baby."?

And really, I don't see how that sign you posted constitutes "an attack on Christians". Where does it even mention Christianity? Also.... the basic tenets of Christianity state that all non-believers will burn in Hell, so the message is implicit in ANY Christian display whether it says so or not.

I think many Christians are of the opinion that they should be immune from criticism or questions. I think many of them feel people who disagree with them should just shut up & keep their ideas & beliefs to themselves so as not to upset Christians who should be free to express their views anywhere & everywhere they please.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Here are two symbols of the winter solstice that could have been used.  Much more respectful AND respectable:

And 99.9% of people looking at them have no idea what they mean. Just what Christians want. Other peoples' views vague & obscure while theirs are loud & clear.

Right.

Besides, what does the winter solstice have to do with atheism? Sounds more Wiccan or something.

Anyway, I think the whole reason for putting that sign up was not to promote atheism but to discourage the placing of religious themed displays on public property to begin with.

To put up such a blatant statement of their religious views gets to the heart of the issue of how offensive it is to some people to have other people's religious views shoved in their faces, especially on publicly funded property.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic