Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things to do, Places to go: VACATION!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by specialkt specialkt wrote:

< going to Hawaii in September for a lil over a week. can i say excited!!
GREAT! That sounds REALLY nice - hope you have a wonderful time.
Hawaii! - Now THERE is one place We've never been, however some of our members have. 
Maybe you want to start a 'HELP! Vacation Advice Please?' thread: things to know before you go...you might get some really valuable information! 
Keep us informed, Skt!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

specialkt View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialkt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 2:08am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by specialkt specialkt wrote:

< going to Hawaii in September for a lil over a week. can i say excited!!
GREAT! That sounds REALLY nice - hope you have a wonderful time.
Hawaii! - Now THERE is one place We've never been, however some of our members have. 
Maybe you want to start a 'HELP! Vacation Advice Please?' thread: things to know before you go...you might get some really valuable information! 
Keep us informed, Skt!

aw well thanks! Star
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 2:53am
Two places I would like to take a little vacation to are Asheville, N.C. (in the summer to escape the Fla. heat) & Savannah, Ga. around the end of October & spend Halloween night there. Supposedly a lot of spooky goings on & the weather would be fairly comfortable.

Asheville is supposed to have a very quirky, offbeat atmosphere that I would likely enjoy.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 6:42am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

Went to a wrestling show in Cleveland over the weekend. Would have liked to see more of the stuff but didn't have the money. All the places I've been to though I still think Chicago is the best.
Tell ya what, D...
YOU live in one of the United S of A's nicest areas, from MY perspective! (then again, that wouldn't be wrestling, although I also enjoy the sport). The 'Three Rivers' area has LONG been a favorite! And given MisyDWolf made me put the plates back on the Blackillac, last week...I'm looking a one of three places for a quick, cheap vacation:
1.) Pittsburgh
2.) Fallingwater
3.) Algonquin Park (Canada)
...and THAT is in order of 'populated' areas - and desire. I REALLY like the Pittsburgh area! MissyDWolf really doesn't know it except for the FANTASTIC airport (one of her very favorite art shops is THEREBig%20smile)
Pittsburgh's got a lot of fun stuff. Station Square is one of the best places. Lots of nice stores and my cousin's band once played at The Hard Rock Cafe in there. 
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 1:24am
All this yap about ghosties, over in another thread, got me wanting to go see the oldest ones.
HERE is a NEAT little place to consider...look at it closely - see how old it is?  75,000 years old?!
A part of the earliest known man-made stone architectures.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 10:21am
We're big believers in 'Daycations', too...having recently been in ChiTown, I cannot comprehend having missed an opportunity to visit this place - but I did, dangit!

The Leaning Tower of Niles
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 10:59am
Will be in Japan in December, Washington DC in February and then Disney World in July!

Good times, good times...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by RichardCranium RichardCranium wrote:

Will be in Japan in December...Good times, good times...
If'n you planned to attend the 'Kanamara Matsuri', your timing is a tad off, RC...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 4:31pm
The%20Carnival%20Elation%20has%20a%20waiting%20list%20for%20the%20first%20International%20Cougar%20Cruise.
Wondering what to give 'Mom' for XMAS? For her birthday? Just for fun?
Confused(Souvenirs? Bring something back? No - I bet she'd rather be able to get shots for it) 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 4:55am
ConfusedDunno what it is...
Maybe it is the storm we're going through...
Maybe it is thinkin' BigMomma&BigPoppa ought to go (they certainly need some 'rest & recuperation')...
Maybe it is 'Cabin Fever'...
Maybe Jimmy came back and reminded me in his own way...
Wow...got a great undying urge to take a month off...HERE

it has been MUCH too long...

Tubbs%20Mills%20House%20B&B%20-%20Caerhays,%20Cornwall

Hotels%20in%20Cornwall

DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 6:49am
I wish to someday take a trip to Cape Cod. 
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 7:00pm
I'll be flying to Rhode Island this July for a week of Amusement Park Hopping!Big%20smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 7:13pm
I am not sure what there is to do in Rhode Island.  I never hear of anyone vacationing there.  Are there lots of amusement parks?
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 8:20pm
I'll be visiting parks in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York. Providence, RI was the Cheapest Airport to fly into and rent a car. (If you have a Choice of Airports CHECK BOTH AIRFARE AND CAR RENTAL! Cheap Wings doesn't always mean Cheap Wheels!

(In 2006 I attended a Gathering of Coaster Enthusiasts at Holiday World in Southern Indiana. The Park is located about halfway between Louisville, KY and Evansville, IN. Most of the Attendees flew into Louisville, I flew into Evansville even though the Airfare was $30.00 More. Why? Because the Rental Car was $60.00 Cheaper! You should have seen the looks on the other members faces when I showed this to them!)LOL

PS. Not only did I save $30.00 but I got a Big%20smileFREE FLIGHTBig%20smile to boot because one of the Flights got Overbooked!Cool

Poiuyt Power!!!
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 8:39pm
Well, as much as I want to head east of the Rockies, expenses and a baby tend to keep us close as of late.
Still I feel l live in one of the nicest areas of the country though I know that can be challenged by many. Pictures can't do justice on some of these places but here is a few places that I or my family frequent or have been to and always mean to go back.

First.. where I live. Talk about "daycation" a lot of people seem to like my fair city, Portland doesn't have the prettiest skyline but it is nice here.

Of course when you are here you must see the  Velveteria Portland's velvet painting museum

And a mere 30 minutes east is Multnomah Falls. You can stand on the little bridge there or climb up to the very top.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 8:47pm
Go west about an hour and find the oregon coast. This is Haystack Rock on Cannon Beach. Look familiar to anyone? Gotta save the Goondocks!

Head across the river to Washington and in about an hour and a half you are here. Not much going on in eruptions latley, but pretty no less and the idea that at any moment she can start up again is pretty cool
My family actually lives closer up in Kelso.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 8:49pm
You also got The Oaks Amusement Park and not too far away is Enchanted Forest, which has one of my favorate Steel Coasters, the Ice Mountain Bobsleds!Thumbs%20Up
Poiuyt Power!!!
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 8:54pm
This is where I grew up camping. Pictures of me at 6 months on this beach. Waikiki beach at Cape Disappointment. We camped here and still do. There are old WWII batteries and gun placements dotting those hills. They like to remind everyone that this is the only place where Japanese subs fired on American soil. Story is, a miscommunication made it so the disappearing guns didn't deploy fast enough to fire back and in turn not revealing our base to the Japanese.
Oh and a Newman Family legend says my great uncle Ozzie named this beach. I doubt it but it is a fun story. This is also part of the Lewis and Clark trail they have a small museum with a lot of their artifacts and stuff. And a restored camp site which is more speculation I am sure, Pretty interesting still.

Head more north and you hit Seattle of course, about 2 and half hours from Portland.
I never get tired of that place. I miss living there a lot of the time.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

You also got The Oaks Amusement Park and not too far away is Enchanted Forest, which has one of my favorate Steel Coasters, the Ice Mountain Bobsleds!Thumbs%20Up

Ah Oaks.. yeah a rare gem nowadays. Especially up here in the NW. Enchanted Forest is still going but sadly, neighboring Thrillsville amusement shut down a couple years back.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 9:03pm
A bit NW of Seattle on the peninsula is the Temperate Olympic Rainforest. As cliched as it sounds, there is really no way to capture it unless you are there.

Queets

A very old red cedar

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 9:11pm
And if you go up north a little more from the forest you hit the San Juan Islands.
Site of two near naval and land battles against Britain/Canada and the US. The dispute of the 49th parallel and the slogan of "54 40 or fight!" (where we almost would have had a the lower half of Vancouver Island in Canada) and the Pig Wars.
Nowadays it is a quiet paradise and many of the islands have a mere handful of people that run amazing b&bs.

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

I'll be visiting parks in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York. Providence, RI was the Cheapest Airport to fly into and rent a car. (If you have a Choice of Airports CHECK BOTH AIRFARE AND CAR RENTAL! Cheap Wings doesn't always mean Cheap Wheels!

(In 2006 I attended a Gathering of Coaster Enthusiasts at Holiday World in Southern Indiana. The Park is located about halfway between Louisville, KY and Evansville, IN. Most of the Attendees flew into Louisville, I flew into Evansville even though the Airfare was $30.00 More. Why? Because the Rental Car was $60.00 Cheaper! You should have seen the looks on the other members faces when I showed this to them!)LOL

PS. Not only did I save $30.00 but I got a Big%20smileFREE FLIGHTBig%20smile to boot because one of the Flights got Overbooked!Cool

Did you spend any time in Evansville? That's where I went to college, but I haven't been there since 1998 so I am sure things have changed a bit.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 10:14pm
Damn Jeremy, I'm pretty jealous of the view from your neighborhood.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by RichardCranium RichardCranium wrote:

Damn Jeremy, I'm pretty jealous of the view from your neighborhood.

Yeah it is nice.
I mean like I noted, they are some little drives here and there. But as a whole, all that is a potential day trip (the san juans are maybe an exception, sure you can get there in a mere 5 hours but why not stay by the time you do?)

Also notice the photos show clear skies. While not the rainiest state as many think, we get enough to keep the stereotype alive.
It is part of life here and actually can be very enjoyable.
I have hosted many a rainy bbq in my day food and drinks taste just as good, if not  alittle better after toiling in a downpour.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 11:05pm
I toured the LST Troop Transport they have docked on the Ohio River. (My Father was a Radioman on one of these ships during the Korean War) I also visited the Angel Mounds Archaelogical Site, which had the remains on an Ancient Native American Civilization. During the same trip I descended upon Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky, and "Worked Over" the Attractions in that area.

This Year, In addition to the Various Amusement Parks (Canobie Lake, Six Flags New England, Lake Compounce, Lake Quassy and Rye Playland), I also intend to visit the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts and Mystic Seaport in Mystic, Connecticut. If time permits I may visit The Breakers and other Mansions in Newport, Rhode Island.
Poiuyt Power!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic