Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things to do, Places to go: VACATION!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonTKD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 1:11pm
Here's another one:
Fantastic Caverns 2 by JasonTKD1981

Another blurry photo by JasonTKD1981, on Flickr

More of the Fantastic Caverns by JasonTKD1981, on Flickr

I have a few more photos, but most of these are the best ones I managed to take.
Sponsored Links

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 2:34am
I returned from my Halloween-themed weekend in Texas last night. It was quite an Adventure. I was finishing getting packed around Noon on October 27 when the Phone rang. It was Delta Airlines, informing me that my Flight to Atlanta was OVERBOOKED, and if I made it to an earlier Flight I'd get a FREE TICKET! Needless to say I was OUT THE DOOR! Getting to the airport I collected my Voucher, then went through Torture and Interrogation (Security) and arrived at the gate. Hurry up and wait! The Flight was DELAYED by weather in Atlanta for nearly FOUR HOURS! At 6:30 we finally took off and arrived in Atlanta. The "Fun had only Begun. My flight to Killeen was delayed several times, then at 11:30 PM it got CANCELLED. I was rebooked on the earliest available flight wich wasn't until 7:30 PM the next day. I joined the throngs of Passengers exiting the Terminal, then in what has to be something of a small Miracle, FOUND A HOTEL ROOM. The next Morning I had breakfast then returned to the airport and stored my Luggage. I HAD planned to see the sights in Austin, texas today, but thanks to the Cancellation these were now on ice. Oh well, I might as well make the best of it. I took the MARTA Train from the Airport to downtown Atlanta and visited the World of Coca Cola Complex. They tell about the history of this beverage, and have a small-scale bottling plant there where you can see how the bottle the beverages. There is a Room where you can sample Coca-Cola Products from all over the World. The People in Africa must have Sweet Teeth, talk about a Sugar Buzz! After touring this complex I went to the Westin peachtree Hotel and had lunch at their Revolving Restaurant. I've been wanting to eat here since I was a Kid, and after 35 years I FINALLY got to scratch that itch! I then visited the Georgia Aquarium and looked at their Exhibits. After that It was time to return to the Airport and this time my flight took off on time. Ariving in Killeen, Texas I picked up my Rental Car and drove to San Antonio and put in for the night.

On Friday I drove to Downtown San Antonio and Visited the Alamo. Only a remnant of this complex still stands. The Main Complex was where the street in front of the Chapel runs. The Final Battle only lasted 90 minutes, and all the defenders were killed, but over three times as many of Santa Ana's Troops bought it as well. I then went to Hemisfair Plaza and went up their Tower and enjoyed the view of San Antonio from its top. Now it was time for some FUN.

I made my way to Sea World. Donning my "Jason" Mask I went to the entrance, only to be told they don't allow Masks. DARN! I put the Mask in my Car and entered the park, purchasing their two-year Season Pass. (It's good for ALL the Busch Gardens and Sea World Parks as well as their Waterparks, and costs $160.00 less than the Florida parks Passes! (Hey, git 'em while the gittin's good!) They had two "Shamu" Shows their regular show in the afternoon, and a Halloween-Themed show in the Evening. They also had some Halloween Walk-Throughs, as well as some Costumed Charactures who'd do their best to frighten you. I rode all three of their Coasters, Steel Eel was the best of the lot, making it to No. 5 in my Steel Non-Looping over 100' high list. Only the Ride of Steel at Darien Lake in New York, Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Ohio, Kingda Ka at Great Adventure in New Jersey and Bizarro at Six Flags New England in Massachusetts rank higher.

On Saturday it was Six Flags Fiesta Texas's turn. Since I had my season Pass from Six Flags New England it didn't cost me anything to enter this park. Once again I couldn't wear my Mask, the Staff at the entrance said it was "Too Scary". Oh well, Rules are Rules. I added Six Coasters to my list here, Road Runner Express made it to No. 10 in my Steel Non-Looping under 100' High List and their Superman Krypton Coaster also made it to no. 10 in my Steel Looping List. They also had some Halloween-Themed Shows and Walkthroughs, one of the shows featured impersonations of deceased celebrities such as Lucille Ball, Karen Carpenter, Janis Joplin and, of course Elvis Presley and Micheal Jackson. Finishing my day here I drove north to Temple, Texas and put in for the night.

Sunday Morning I got up and drove to the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and descended upon the Origional Six Flags Park. The first ride I hit was Titan, this ride was a bit of a disappointment. After a terrific first and second drop this ride hits a brake that brings the ride to a HALT, the reat of the ride was a snoozer. Sorry Six Flags, no Top Tenner here! The park is Excellant in spite of this, and they also had their share of Halloween-themed shows to see. An added bonus was seeing the Direct TV Blimp fly overhead for the World Series Game being played next door at the Arlington Ballpark. I added five more Coasters here for a grand total of 15 coasters first-timed on this trip.

On Monday I visited Dealey Plaza, sight of the Kennedy Assassination in 1963. Now this WAS a Spooky Sight. I can envision seeing the throngs of people lining the street on both sides, waiting for the presidential Motercade to pass by. It must have a Horrible Experience whe people realised he had been shot. What started off as a festival turned into a Funeral. From there I traveled south to Georgetown, texas and toured a Cave. Inner Springs Cavern was a spectacular Cave, and it has a room where you can see a layer of Flint Rock sandwiched between two nlayers of Limestone. The tour Guide informed us this kayer of Flint has a high level of Iridium in it, this is the K-T Layer, which was caused by the Asteroid that hit the Earth and wiped out the Dinosaurs. That evening a Thunderstorm hit the area I was in, keeping me awake until nearly 2:00 AM. Needless to say I slept until nearly 9:00 AM, and when I got up I had to make my way to the Airport for my return to Florida, so I didb't get to see the Branch Davidian Site. I had a lot of fun on this trip however, and will return to Texas next Summer (Using the Free Ticket I acquired on this trip) to see some more sights including another Amusement park and a Waterpark that's been referred to as "The Holiday World" of Water Parks. Prove your worth Schlitterbahn!) The fun resumes this July!

Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 4:07am
Big%20smileOur recent 'road trip' took us to the mountains of North Carolina, to see our youngest daughter, then off the the SilverWolve's (My Folks) Den, on the Virginia shorline...all was great and loads of fun. 
Some unusual things happened...I'll only mention a few(as always, we drive at night):
1.) We *thought* we made a wrong turn in Pittsburgh - MissyDWolf did something she NEVER does - she panicked (anyone knowing her background would understand) and THAT made me panic - with certain behaviors, it's just like 'reaction puking'; if she does it, I automagically do it. We pulled over and stopped, only to figure out, we didn't make a wrong turn after all, but I was totally screwed up for a few hours...she should know better than to do that!
2.) West Virginia was actually great to drive through; the best roads, go as fast as you can. Don't mind all the blood on the roads (everything gets killed there...and there was *so much blood* for so long, even I couldn't believe it - and I mean well over 100 miles, through the wilderness...MissyDWolf actually got sorta ill seeing it all).
3.) We couldn't find a hotel room and decided to sleep a few hours in the car, at the Virginia Welcome Center...a tad dangerous, doncha know - kinda like playin' "Michael Jordan's Daddy" (who, unfortunately, was murdered doing the same thing, years ago).
4.) We found an old Swiss Chalet near Boone, for 'night #2'; sleeping in the car made me a tad creaky, so they figured we needed to be on the first floor. Well...old motel? Old beds. Not 'soundproofed' walls. After a day with our daughter, we went back and passed out only to hear squeaky bedsprings above...I was complaining to MissyDWolf that Rachel Stevens must have had her latest 'love interest' with her (we were laughing so hard that MissyDWolf was in tears)...
We still were so tired that we had no problem passing back out (especially after TWolf, an 'Xtreme' athlete, took us on a 'ghosty hunt') through hilly area, in occupied buildings with lights (of course no ghosties came out), but that was the only way MissyDWolf was going...then she took us to her favorite 'coffee house', a tiny, old 3-story house, with narrow, small stairs and low ceilings, a few outdoor roof seating areas that is built into the side of a mountain - I'm pretty sure it was originally inhabited by hobbits. It had one major problem: the outdoor cement steps to the top porch did not have a hand rail, which we didn't notice until coming down. Narrow cement steps.
MissyDWolf has a touch of vertigo, now and then, so I counted the steps and very quickly reminded her this was a "12-step program! Don't worry, dear - the first step is the hardest, unless ya fall, then you're genuinely f*cked!" (I made myself laugh and immediately almost blew it myself). TWolf barked and growled at me and grabbed her Ma's arm...  
I could go on and on...but, well, for other 'Nature Lovers', remember, 3rd week of October is a magical time in the mountains of the Southeast - you can't miss the trees.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 2:18pm
CoolOf course, a neat thing would be to 'save those pennies and go see something surreal' - something leaving you confused and in wonder...say, oh, like Gaudi's "La Sagrada Familia" (still under construction), or Puma Punku, in Bolivia (who built that place?! how the heck did they do it?!)

Antoni Gaudi's 'La Sagrada Familia' (you can also go see Gaudi's 'Parc Guell', while in the area)
Sagrada-Familia

Puma Punku - nothing but ruins, now...but even the ruins leave one speechless.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 1:14pm
This Saturday I will make my first "Hit" on a Roller Coaster for the year. Big%20smile ACE is having a Gathering at Busch Gardens in Tampa (Gawzi, their Wooden Coaster is getting new Trains and we'll be the first Riders on them. Cool), and since I have a Pass I'm taking the liberty to attend. Grover's Flyer will be my 473rd Coaster Ridden, and I'll get my first look at their New Coaster, Cheetah Run, which opens this Spring. (That will be no. 474!) LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 9:40pm
Big%20smileWe're really getting ancy and looking for a short, affordable vacation...so, Old Quebec City came to mind. Very historic and beautiful town.
MissyDWolf asked, "Why Quebec? They speak French, there..."
"For a few days, I just wanna go somewhere I can not understand what is going on or what people are saying to me - it will be a genuine relief..."
"If THAT is all you are trying to accomplish, why don't you save us the money and just go to your office for a few days, instead?"
...biatch...

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:08pm
Big smile...NYC is always a 'prime target' for us, on the 'short & affordable'...we just love it there.
Well..just found yet another 'fun' little adventure for a day, while there:
"Give the Gift of Gangland - The Tour You Can't Refuse..."
Probably corny and targeted toward old folks, people from the midwest, and tourists from other countries (that don't speak enough English to tell the cops what happened)...and people that might want to know where some really great small eateries exist...

I'm thinkin' if one wanted and looked hard enough, a FaceBook page probably could be found for 'The Mob'; probably best to advise against sharing any 'profile information'...

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 7:44pm
Less than likely...I won't be vacationing this year.

I'm still carless and I hyave to work on Saturdays!Cry
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 12:11am
We're going to Jones Beach this memorial weekend to see the air show I HOPE IT DOESN'T RAIN!!!!Big smile

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:32am
Confused...stumbled onto this by sheer accident, moments ago...leaves me with a sinking feeling, but maybe this would be of interest to some.
Logo
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 2:15pm
I just got back from Texas.

WHAT A TRIP!

Flying in to Austin, Texas on July 7, I picked up my Rental car and drove to the University of Texas Tower. I intended to visit this one this past October, but a Flight Delay forced me to cancel the visit at that time. An incident here in 1966 resulted in the formation of the first Police SWAT team in the US. The Observation Deck was closed while I was there, so I didn't get to see that. I next made my way to Sea World San Antonio. I had a pass to this park, so it didn't cost me to get in. Big smile With temperatures approaching 105 degrees, there are many ways to cool off in the park, from their Waterslide Complex (Which is getting an OVERHAUL for next year), to their JOURNEY TO ATLANTIS and RIO LOCO Water rides, to the "Splash Zone" at Shamu's Show (I sat in the first row and got HAMMERED!!!). LOL On Saturdey (July 9) I drove to Houston. I visited the Johnson Space Center. There are two tours yo go on here, the first one takes you to Mission Control, the second one takes you to the Space Station Mock-Up, which is still being used to train Astronauts even though the Shuttle is Retired (We'll have to ride with the Russians for now). Cry From there I made my way to Kemah, Texas. They have a new park here called Kemah Boardwalk. This is a collection of Rides, Restaurants and Bars that opened only a couple of years ago. This is actually a bona-fide TRADITIONAL Amusement Park (And you thought they don't make these anymore)! Their pride and joy is Boardwalk Bullet, a Wooden Roller Coaster. How is it? I had ridden 473 Roller Coasters before I rode this one, and they could not put it in it's place! I HAVE A NEW NUMBER ONE! Thumbs Up So long Thunderhead (Dollywood)! BOARDWALK BULLET RULES! On Sunday I made my way to Lakewood Community Church, a rather insignificant little Chapel from where some dude named Joel Osteen Preaches. His preaching is good, but the Choir is a loud as a Rock Band! Shocked I then drove to Goliad, Texas. There was a Battle there after the Battle of the Alamo. The Troops surrendered to the Mexicans, but they were slaughtered under order from General Santa Anna. There is a Spanish Mission and a Fort here as well. I then rolled into the town of Carrizo Springs. I once had a Pen Pal who lived here (He may still live here, but I haven't heard from him since 1989, so Info on him is sketchy at best). I Googled his name and discovered he's married and has four Kids, but other than that he resides in Texas (Didn't say where) I know nothing of his whereabouts. It's a sleepy little town, I had Supper at a Local Restaurant and then "Relieved" their Wally's of a Couple of DVDs using a Gift Card given to me from a Daytona Deach Auto Dealer (I just HAD to do this)! LOL From there I made my way to New Buaunfels. This town has a Waterslide Park called Schlitterbahn. THIS PARK IS INCREDIBLE! They have water Rides that last for almost an hour, and a Combination Wave Pool and (Not So) Lazy River! I had heard nothing but good things about this place. Everything I've heard is true. It's my new "Number One" Waterpark. I also visited Six Flags Fiesta Texas, concentrating on their Waterpark, which is pretty good, but pales to the one  in New Braunfels. Yesterday, I toured a Cave (Longhorn Caverns) before boarding my plane for the flight back to Orlando. On the way back to Daytona, I got another unexpected treat. While driving east on US 50 across the St Johns River, THE SKY LIT UP! It was a Global Positioning Satellite being launched. I got out of my truck and watched it go up, although I was 15 miles away I could still hear the rumble caused by the Delta 4 Rocket. I arrived home, and got some shuteye.
Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 6:40pm

ConfusedMany years ago, I took up skydiving for a hobby - and then was convinced to quit for the children. Now...something just as, if not a bit more safe - but just looking at these pics makes me dizzy. Not gonna do it. 

Toronto's EdgeWalk ready to thrill

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 3:35am
STOP THE PRESSES! LOL

I just booked my 2012 Roller Coaster Trip. Big smile

I HAD other proposals, including a three-week long "Supervacation" in California that would have taken place during the last two weeks of October and the first week of November, unfortunately money got tight on me. Ouch But a unique oppertunity has presented itself to me, so I've decided to scrounge a small trip together to see a Special Event. On Friday, May 18, 2012 I will fly from Orlando Florida to Alburquerque, New Mexico. I will visit their local Amusement Park, Cliff's Amusement Park on Saturday and ride their two Roller Coasters, one of which is a Woodie. Thumbs Up The Next Day I'll have a Special Treat. Shortly before sunset, the Moon will align itself between the Sun and the earth creating an Annular Solar Eclipse! Hopefully the Sandia Peak Tramway will be open so I can see this from the Mountaintop, but if it isn't open there will be a myriad of other observing spots along the centerline of the eclipse, which will pass through the city of Alburquerque. (I'm prepared to drive as far east as Lubbock, Texas or as far west as Canyon De Chelly, Arizona if inclement weather in the Alburquerque area threatens to "Cloud Out" the Eclipse). Then on Monday I'll head er home. Short but Sweet! Thumbs Up
Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 3:05am
WinkBig smile...this is for those that might ask, "Hey PaW! If'n we wanted to go camping with y'all, where would you take us? What would we see? Would we ever forget the trip?!!!"
Can be 'life changing' up here doncha know...you would never forget.
Here's a fantastic little example of critters that creep me out (they can very suddenly appear 'en masse' as far as the eye can see, across the frozen ice and snow.
They can turn a pure white field to one of blue-black in a very short time.
"Will they crawl into my open wounds and breed inside me? Will they float in the liquid in my eyeballs? Are they aliens?"
Maybe....but, well, no....I don't think so. Maybe,if you're a jerk.
They aren't worth a damned for fishing, can't make burgers or drinks out of them, but entire communities find them a reason to have parades, get drunk, and, well...that's pretty much it.
"...didya say FESTIVALS, PaW?!"
uhh...yea.
Here's an Alaskan festival.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 9:18pm
Big smile...here's a nifty little event for June 15th, down in our back yard. We'll absolutely be there. This event already has my stomach in knots; he will have plenty of wind and water spray with which to deal.
Me? Would *I* walk across a stinkin' wire over The Falls? Naww...I wouldn't do it. I'd just take one o'those 'Maid of the Mist' boatrides to the base of The Falls. Now...if they fixed up a 'Zip Line' ride across The Falls, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

A 'Flying Wallenda' to cross Niagara Falls on a tightrope

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 11:43pm

Big smileWho will be watching? TONIGHT ONLY

Supermoon

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 2:15am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Big smileWho will be watching? TONIGHT ONLY

Supermoon

I saw the Moon rising while returning home from a Kentucky Derby Party (My Horse LOST! Ouch), but I still had fun. Big smile I'm following the moon this month while it makes it way to its rendezvous with the Sun two weeks from Tomorrow, which I will see in Albuquerque.
Poiuyt Power!!!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:17pm
I just got back from Albuquerque last night. I began my trip Friday flying out of Orlando, Florida via Knoxville, Tennessee and Denver, Colorado. While descending into Knoxville, the Plane I was flying in struck a Bird! They scraped the bird off the front of the plane and shipped it to the local Roadkill Cafe (You kill em, we grill em!) LOL Arriving in Albuquerque I drove to Sandia Peak and took the tramway to the top of the mountain to enjoy the view.

On Saturday I went to Petroglyph National Monument just west of the city. Here at the edge of a lava flow the Ancient Pueblo People drew all kinds of drawings on the boulders. There are over 180,000 of them according to the Folder that the Visitor Center gives you. I also hiked to the top of two Cinder Cones that mark the site of the fissure that the lava flows originated from over 2000,000 years ago. From there I made my way to Cliff's Amusement Park, home of two Roller Coasters, the Galaxi and the New Mexico Rattler. The park was packed! (I was expecting this, as people were converging on the city in preparation for the Solar Eclipse on Sunday. I had to wait over two hours in line to ride the Rattler, but it's a good ride, making it up to No. 8 in my top ten list. Thumbs Up That evening I went over to a Wallys to get some supplies, the store was JUMPING! You'd think it was the day before a Major Holiday the way they were stocking up on Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Adult Beverages and Chips and such. It was obvious that a MAJOR PARTY was going to break out during the Eclipse.

On Sunday I drove north to visit Bandolier National Monument. The ruins of several Ancient Pueblo Cliff Dwellings are located here, and you can climb up to see them. Many of these ruins are located hundreds of feet up the cliff, IMO these ancients must have had SERIOUS Thrill Issues! Big smile Then it was time for the Main Event, the Annular Solar Eclipse. I drove to a spot just south of the Albuquerque Airport that was owned by the University of New Mexico that was located on the Eclipse Centerline give or take a couple of miles. There had to be over 5,000 People here. The Albuquerque Astronomical Society and a couple of other Astronomy Clubs had exhibits set up, and I joined then and set up my Equipment to view the Eclipse. There was a Party Atmosphere, and at about 6:30 PM the Eclipse Begin. As the Moon encroached on the Sun, several people made references to legends about Eclipses. (OMG! A Dragon is EATING the Sun!) and a Reference to A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. (Release me, or I'll Black Out the Sun!). Then at 7:33 PM Annularity began. The crowd roared as the moon passed completely in front of the Sun. A Radio Station played Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire while the Eclipse was at its maximum. Four and a Half Minutes later the Moon reached the other side of the Sun, and the Main Event was over. 35 Minutes later the sun set, and the Eclipse was over. As I made my way back to my Hotel I noticed there were several "Fender Benders" on the Freeway, people who didn't know about the Eclipse obviously got distracted by it. (Look! Something's Happening to the Sun! CRUNCH! DOH!) Embarrassed 

Finally it was MONDAY. Unhappy Time to go Home. But not before ONE MORE Space Event. Arriving in Orlando, I made my way to Cape Canaveral to watch the launch of the SPACE X "Dragon" unmanned Cargo Drone to the International Space Station.  At 3:44 AM it launched, lighting up the sky in a "Reverse Eclipse"! Clap Finally, I arrived home and got some Shuteye.  What a Trip!
Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 9:10am

WinkPictures of the 'New Bridge', way down in West Virginia.

'Eternal IP Address':
Right before these pictures - literally feet before the bridge, I feel asleep at the wheel. The BratWolf caught me/us, just in time - no joke. He made me pull over and rest/hike a while - to get a good look at where we almost ended up.
West Virginia has a really neat State Park, Visitors/History center, and hiking trails right before the bridge.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 2:40am
Wink...during today's very long bikeride, I decided to drop by Luna Island/Luna Falls.
Always a great view.
I made sure I stunk like a pig by the time I got there so I could get a nifty picture without tourists bugging me.
While resting against the below sign, a number of people asked me if I had any idea of how to get to Canada. Got so tired of it that I had to just leave before I started giving intentionally bad advice.

eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 3:13am
That is really beautiful.
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally. That's important to note."
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 3:11pm
ShockedSick"...hey Hon! Let's head on over to the crapateria for a bite and a hurl..."
~~~
Confused"Tell me true, Mama...are cruise ships really tomain-laced killing fields for the wanna-be rich and others destined to spend their winter vacation in Mobile, Alabama? Do we HAVE go? Do we HAVE to die?..."
"Yes dear - it's time to get out of the gene pool..."
~~~ 
When we were young and stupid, MissyDWolf talked me into a short cruise ship trip.
I didn't want to do it then and will never do it again.

MissyDWolf learned *really quick* why God invented 'Dramamine' and why small staterooms suck.

When I was a *very young* pup, my family traveled from Europe to North America on a moderately-sized ship, late in October. I've never forgiven my beloved Mother for answering my first on-board observation/question with, "Why, THOSE are 'Trick-Or-Treat Bags' for all the good children - you'll see!" . The bags hung everywhere in the ship's hallways, and did I EVER see! I didn't believe it was possible for anything to barf for a week straight.

Well...for all you cruise-addicts, let's bring this all 'up to date':

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 12:11am
Evil SmileWinkHey Reg! Isn't it about time for your annual 'Trip to Rio (and surrounding areas)'?!

Spiders Fill the Brazilian Sky

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/34365/title/Spiders-Fill-the-Brazilian-Sky/

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 1:14am
Man, you couldn't pay me to take a cruise.  If you don't have some kind of hurling sickness, you have no power/facilities/hot food then someone on the damn wreck is going to push you off! Nope, nuh-huh, not me  Wacko
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 1:39am
ConfusedThe way I've been feeling since before XMAS, I''m considering getting a ticket to this place (one of my top 3 targets for many years) to just go lean against a rock and go to sleep, as long as  I know there is a ban on Erich *ever* showing up while I'm on the same continent. He drives me flat nuts!
However - this is one of a few very special places that defies and challenges the basis of everything which people base their foundations and beliefs.
I love it.
To touch...to 'feel'...possibly to 'connect'...
  <<<---Erich!!!! Shaddup and DON'T speak English,o.k.? ThankYouVeryMuch!
...or, well...I'm heading HERE (at almost all costs - been watching it since the day they found it - and I personally have liked Dr. Robert Schoch's studies for some time...). The site is MUCH larger (maybe 6 ro 8 times the size) than the simple video shows - and they've actually just found even earlier, just as complex, if not moreso, sites nearby)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic