Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jingles & Music you hate on commercials

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jingles & Music you hate on commercials
    Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 4:08pm
The worst to me is Direct TV's "upgrade" commercials. That music is horrible, it doesn't even have a steady beat to it. Bad dancing too. Why are they appealing to the teenage ghetto demographic? Do they buy a lot of satellite TV?

The Windows Mojave song is annoying too.
Sponsored Links

ToxicShock View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToxicShock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 7:00pm
Agreed with both of your annoyances.

A recent one for me has become the song played during the preview of TNT's new TV show Leverage. I found out it's by some artist called Duffy. I don't understand how some of these people even get record deals. Do people actually LIKE her music? Yuck!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 7:09pm
Oh, Duffy!  That song is all over the place.  It's bad enough to listen to, but to watch her sing is almost torture.  She's actually pretty, but I can't stand watching (or listening to) women who do something to their faces and voices to make themselves sound like little girls.

Besides, I think she ripped off her "style" from Amy Winehouse.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 7:32pm
GET an UPGRADE, UPGRADE!

I DON'T WANT TO GROW UP I want to beeeeeeeeeeeeee A Tooooooooooyyysrus KID! (sucks compared to the original)

OH MAJHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEE

MMM MMM PossIBILtieees!

EVERY KISS BEGINS WITH KAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!

WHOOO HOOO HOOO HOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO YEEEEEEEEEAAAAH WHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I AM GRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN TODAY,HOP LIKE A GRASSHOPPER with joy.....

I'LL STOP THE WORLD AND MELT WITH YOU...

FRRRRREEEEEEEEEE CREDIT REPOOOOOORT.COM!

DECK THE HALLS WITH SMART SECURITY!!!!!!!!!Angry
Angry

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 7:45pm
"This is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh cou-uhn-tryyyyyyyyyyyy"-John (The Artist Formerly known as Cougar) Mellancamp on the Chevy ads
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Irishman Irishman wrote:

"This is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh cou-uhn-tryyyyyyyyyyyy"-John (The Artist Formerly known as Cougar) Mellancamp on the Chevy ads

They're still showing those!!!!!!   ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

I first saw those ads back in the fall of 2006.  
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 10:31pm
Some more dishonorable mentions:

"F to the R to the E to the E to the CREDIT to the REPORT...."

ANY Apple commercial:

"I'm a new soul..."

"I tried to do handstands for you(???WTF)"

"I AM GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNN TODAY"

and of course,

"SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVVVVEED BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

SAVEEED BY ZERO

SAVED BY ZERO!!
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Oh, Duffy!  That song is all over the place.  It's bad enough to listen to, but to watch her sing is almost torture.  She's actually pretty, but I can't stand watching (or listening to) women who do something to their faces and voices to make themselves sound like little girls.

Besides, I think she ripped off her "style" from Amy Winehouse.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

BBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH!!!

BAAAAAAAARRRRRRRFFFFFFFFF!!!!

She was on SNL earlier this year.   Possibly the worst, boring-est musical guest(next to Kings of Leon).
Geezer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 11:39pm
There's another one I forgot to mention. Ross - a discount department store. Chick singing in a fake-emoting R&B style.... In it, she manages to add extra syllables to the word "day" over and over. Arrrgh! Unhappy

"It's a brand new daa-hey-eeeyah-hay! It'a a brand new day- aay-aaay-aay!"

Although the latest version is a slightly different mix, no male singer, just the female.
Rice is good if you're hungry and feel like eating 2,000 of something. - Mitch Hedberg
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 2:59am
That "ay-ay-ay" drives me crazy.  It's also one of the more recent trends in music.  It's not even the fact that she's adding syllables, but that they start with the "hard"-sounding part of "A," instead of a smooth-running sound.  Do you know what I mean?
Droshi View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 3:12am
Nuva Ring.
"SUNDAY MONDAY TUESDAY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY EVERY DAYYYY"
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 3:25am
Originally posted by Geezer Geezer wrote:

There's another one I forgot to mention. Ross - a discount department store. Chick singing in a fake-emoting R&B style.... In it, she manages to add extra syllables to the word "day" over and over. Arrrgh! Unhappy

"It's a brand new daa-hey-eeeyah-hay! It'a a brand new day- aay-aaay-aay!"

Although the latest version is a slightly different mix, no male singer, just the female.

Makes me think of the latest Target series.    "Brand New Day"  and they show things and clal it "new ...".    I actually missed "Hello Goodbye".
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 5:39am
The falsetto of the guy who sings for the Sears commercial, "Got a pocket full of wishes" [I think]. 

I am so sick of guys singing falsetto, like James Blunt and Robin Thicke, and this guy.  Argh.  Get some balls and stop singing soprano!
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 6:03am

It's called "World" by Five For Fighting.   I've heard of them they're another annoying falsetto band.   Remember the credit card commercial with that song "100 Years"?   Same band.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 6:20am
Yea, Five for Fighting.  Thanks for the links, but I'm not going to click on them--otherwise, I'd have to HEAR THEM!!!  It's pure torture.  But thank you for posting the links just in case other people don't know who we're talking about.  Smile

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 7:38am
Here's another one:  not sure whether it's one of the "truth" commercials, but it shows Death driving somewhere, and then changing into a cigarette girl's outfit and handing out free cigarettes. 

Anyway, the music is a lullabye being "sung" by a girl or woman, in another style I hate:  half-assed singing (as opposed to belting out a tune).  And this particular woman emphasizes the wrong syllable in each line:  "LullaBYE and good NIGHT la la LA la la LA la."  It irritates the piss out of me every time!

N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 7:45am
They still make those "truth"(there's an oxymoron, those commercials and the truth) commercials?   I haven't seen one in years.   I always hated those commercials for their low quality production.   Looks like something a bunch of w**ker straightedge kids made for their highschool film class.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 2:34pm

Here's another one:  not sure whether it's one of the "truth" commercials, but it shows Death driving somewhere, and then changing into a cigarette girl's outfit and handing out free cigarettes. 

Anyway, the music is a lullabye being "sung" by a girl or woman, in another style I hate:  half-assed singing (as opposed to belting out a tune).  And this particular woman emphasizes the wrong syllable in each line:  "LullaBYE and good NIGHT la la LA la la LA la."  It irritates the piss out of me every time!

Not sure if this is the same thing...but lately, I've been hearing way too many commercial songs being sung in this sort of little girl sort of way.  Kinda folky, kinda 1920's, all in the voice of women sounding like little girls.  They have a "Lullabye and Good Night" sort of sound to them.  I thought it was at least a little different when I first started hearing them, but they've become way too prevalent.  If I think of an example, I'll post it here.

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 5:53pm

Is that Billie Holliday singing in that ad? While many people consider her an all-time great, I've never really cared for her style of singing...Macy Gray does it too...it reminds me more of the cartoon character Yakky Doodle!Confused
As for putting the 'wrong' emphasis on 'Brahms' Lullabye'..every time I've ever heard that song, those same words are emphasized. I think we're just not used to hearing the rest of the words.(I remember some sitcom years ago where a character started to sing,
"Lullabye...and good night...and there's more words I'm not sure of...'LOL)
But as sung in that Truth ad, it sounds terrible. Then again, that's typical for those ads.Unhappy
ToxicShock View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToxicShock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 7:03pm
That Five For Fighting song is TERRIBLE! I thought it was by that one bald-headed dude at first, who's music is just as annoying.

N-Dizzle, I agree with you about any Apple commercial song. I don't know how they find these horrible artists, and why they think playing this god-awful music would be a good idea. I guess if a commercial is horrible enough, it will be remembered, and thus it worked? Last year with Feist in the Apple commercial was terrible, too.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Irishman Irishman wrote:

Is that Billie Holliday singing in that ad? While many people consider her an all-time great, I've never really cared for her style of singing...Macy Gray does it too...it reminds me more of the cartoon character Yakky Doodle!Confused

Oh my God, is that Billie Holilday?  I happen to agree with you about her singing style, although I wouldn't say she's the same as Yakky Doodle!  But I WOULD say that Macy Gracy is!!! LOL  I am not a fan of Billie Holliday.

Quote As for putting the 'wrong' emphasis on 'Brahms' Lullabye'..every time I've ever heard that song, those same words are emphasized. I think we're just not used to hearing the rest of the words.(I remember some sitcom years ago where a character started to sing,
"Lullabye...and good night...and there's more words I'm not sure of...'LOL)
But as sung in that Truth ad, it sounds terrible. Then again, that's typical for those ads.Unhappy

Yes, you're correct about the emphasis on that syllable.  I guess that with this commercial, it's just so much MORE pronounced!  Would you agree?

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 7:48pm
Yeah, it is. I think  Billie (or whoever it was) sang it with fewer syllables(I can't really tell, but it sounds like she's singing 'Good night, sleep tight...')...and it just has that overly-'bluesy' sound.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2008 at 7:57pm
"Clippo clippo clippo" jingle is worse than an icicle slamming into the brain.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic