Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP David Crosby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP David Crosby
    Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 11:35pm
David Crosby has passed away at 81.

I'm astonished he made it so long, given all the drugs he did for so many years.

I think he even had a liver transplant.

Probably what gave him that last 20 years or so.

RIP C of CSNY.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2023 at 11:57pm
Damn.... Another icon gone.

I liked when he appeared on the tv show Roseanne. He fit in well. RIP
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 12:02am
His late 60's/early 70's song Guinnevere was one of the songs that made me want to take up the guitar.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 12:31am
The harmonies made me want to be a singer.

Uhh that didn't pan out!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 12:44am
I envy people with really good singing voices.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 8:40am

I actually remember where I was and what I was doing when I first paid attention to CSN&Y. My bro and I were washing the family car and I was working on the passenger side fender, when, from the radio, I heard the keyboard bridge in Carry On. Loved it.

RIP, C.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 1:47pm
I think the first CSN song I ever heard was Suite Judy Blue Eyes.

Don't remember where I was or what I was doing, though.

Probably in my bedroom listening to the King Biscuit Flour Hour on my Toshiba transistor radio (which I still have) possibly actually IN bed after lights out, which is something I used to do a lot.

Anyway, I know I liked them better when they became CSN&Y.

The album Four Way Street and songs like Ohio and Chicago were a bit of a departure for them and seemed to mark the point where they started becoming political.

I think that was when I really started getting interested in them.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

The album Four Way Street and songs like Ohio and Chicago were a bit of a departure for them and seemed to mark the point where they started becoming political.

Then there was his collaborstion with Nash, which produced Immigration Man.

Lotsa artists put out at least some political stuff back then. Even the Beach Boys had their own "Ohio" song, Student Demonstration Time. In case you never heard it, it was done to the tune of Riot in Cell Block #9.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Then there was his collaborstion with Nash, which produced Immigration Man.

Lotsa artists put out at least some political stuff back then. Even the Beach Boys had their own "Ohio" song, Student Demonstration Time. In case you never heard it, it was done to the tune of Riot in Cell Block #9.

Yes, I was going to mention Immigration Man but since it wasn't on Four Way Street I didn't. But I've always loved that song.

As far as the story behind the writing of Ohio is concerned, Young and Crosby were living in a house together when news of the Kent State shootings broke. Reportedly, Young was so livid over it, he picked up his guitar, went out into some woods behind the house, and within under an hour, had the entire song written.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Became the anthem of a generation.

C'mon, man!
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 8:00pm
Crosby was a rock legend. I too am surprised he made it that long as he nearly died quite a few times over the years. He had an advice column in Rolling Stone over the past few years and was funny at times on Twitter. He'd been predicting his own demise for a few years. May he R.I.P.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 8:57pm

When I was 15 or 16, I stole a bunch of albums from a department store named Bradlees. Among the albums was the first Crosby-Nash album, with Immigration Man. Other freebies included an Eric Clapton album, a live Mothers of Invention album, and I forget what else. I think maybe Hot Tuna and T Rex.

The decoy album that I actually paid for was Neon by The Cyrkle. I paid 69 cents for it.

That was it for me as far as stealing stuff. I guess I got it out of my system. 😐

Oh, another political song by Crosby et al was Wooden Ships. I prefer the Airplane version, though.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 9:18pm
Then there was Neil Young's Let's Impeach the President which he wrote in 2006 for George Dubya Bush in response to the invasion of Iraq.

That was somewhat political I'd say.... 🤔

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 11:11pm

Young's dust-up with Joe Rogan last year made him seem so old.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 11:46pm
Well, he IS old... 😕

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic