Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Christine McVie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Christine McVie
    Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 8:43pm
Christine McVie, Keyboardist and Singer for Fleetwood Mac, Dead at 79

Quote Christine McVie, the longtime co-lead vocalist, keyboardist, and songwriter for Fleetwood Mac, has died. She was 79.

The band confirmed McVie’s death in a note shared on social media. “There are no words to describe our sadness at the passing of Christine McVie. She was truly one-of-a-kind, special and talented beyond measure. She was the best musician anyone could have in their band and the best friend anyone could have in their life. We were so lucky to have a life with her. Individually and together, we cherished Christine deeply and are thankful for the amazing memories we have. She will be so very missed.”

I was never a big fan of her songs or of Fleetwood Mac in general, but her voice was part of the soundtrack of my youth.

RIP Ms. McVie.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 9:07pm

I always thought Christine Perfect was a nickname. Seems that's actually her birth name.

I must've liked her looks more than I liked her songs or her voice. I just listened back on a number of her songs, and I don't even remember them.

I wasn't real fond of Stevie Nicks either.

Seems the Fleetwood Mac songs I like are ones written and sung by Bob Welch. I also like the song Tusk.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 9:23pm
I used to actually DISlike Stevie Nicks, though I liked her singing voice.

I would kind of roll my eyes and shake my head over the way she was always twirling around with those flowing veils or shawls or whatever her stage gimmick was.

Seemed like a put on.

I always felt kind of sorry for McVie, being so overshadowed by Nicks.

I wondered how much resentment there might have been between them.

I think Letterman kind of laughed at her a few times too.

He played this concert clip of her over and over where she was doing this kind tortured blues singer shtick and when she bent down, the neckline of her dress fell open and one of her ta-ta's almost flopped out.

You could definitely see it.

He got quite a bit of mileage out of that.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 9:29pm

I think she was supposed to be a witch or a gypsy. Those were common female tropes in 60s and 70s music. I bet there were hundreds of songs back then about gypsies and witchy women.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 9:37pm
Well, Nicks & co. were responsible for two of them.

Gypsy and Rhiannon.

You can guess which one was about which.

Or witch.

Whichever...

And of course who can forget Cher's Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 9:53pm

Cher might've been the prototype for all that.

Mountain, Black Sabbath, War, the Eagles, Uriah Heep, Santana, Looking Glass, Bryan Hyland, Crow, Redbone, Donovan...the list goes on. They all had songs about gypsies, witches, evil women.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 10:38pm
That was the kind of mystical mindset decade the 70's were.

At least the early 70's.

Black light posters and incense.

One of my favorite songs back around '72 & '73 was.....

Album: "Demons and Wizards"

BTW, I think Led Zeppelin fed into that whole thing too, with their medieval, Lord of the Rings references.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 8:24am

Yeah, I think that kind of stuff begat, or was begat by prog rock. In fact, I think Uriah Heep would've been prog rock at times. My own personal fave by Uriah Heep was the Look At Yourself album.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 1:12pm
I saw UH in concert twice. Mainly because they were my best friend's favorite band. I liked them too, though.

The fist time we saw them, Blue Oyster Cult was the opening act. The second time Long John Baldry opened.

During that show, UH's guitar player had broken his wrist and played with a cast on his strumming hand.

My favorite UH songs are The Wizard, Easy Livin' and Stealin'.

In no particular order.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 11:37pm

Wow. Long John Baldry. Such an important name in British music of the 60s and 70s, yet I don't think he ever had a hit.

I'll bet he did work with Fleetwood Mac at some point and in some way. I mean, so many musicians on that small island, they probably couldn't help but get in each other's business.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 2:07am
Yeah, I've heard he was pretty influential. Played with the biggest of the big, too... i.e. The Beatles, The Stones, Elton John, Rod Stewart.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_John_Baldry

Awhile back, I was trying to remember the date in the early 90's that I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and also what songs they played. On a whim, I did some Googlin' and found several sites that provide detailed information on concerts going back decades.

The two UH shows I went to were in '72 (with Baldry) and '75 (with BOC).

Here's a screenshot of each tour....

July '72...

August '75...

I was already finished with high school by the second show.

I didn't remember that. I always thought I went to that one between my junior and senior year.

Kinda cool looking up that old stuff.

https://concerts.fandom.com/wiki/Concerts_Wiki

C'mon, man!
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 2:23am
Unhappy Very sad to hear about it. I always liked her, and the songs "Got a Hold On Me," "Say You Love Me," "Little Lies," and yes, even "Everywhere," which is being used in some recent car ad I think.
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 10:03pm
I always thought Christine was the best vocalist Fleetwood Mac ever had. Just her range I liked. I was shocked she was 79 as like Stevie, aged really well. May she R.I.P.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic