Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Annoying music trend: "happy-clappy"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Annoying music trend: "happy-clappy"
    Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 5:33pm
There's been an annoying trend in music for TV commercials; I call it "happy-clappy"...typically a mix of hand clapping, finger snaps, drums, foot stomps and other random percussion. Sometimes it's combined with other instruments, sometimes it's on it's own. This kind of stuff is all created on the music-person's computer, most likely with pre-recorded samples, which is why it usually sounds flat, fake and synthetic, because it is. 

This spot was in heavy rotation here locally on daytime TV last year. ALL IN on happy-clappy!

And this one, which includes some kind of annoying "toy piano" chords. Super-annoying music, and cheesy "dad of hot daughter" trope. Ermm

The damned "Pied Piper" ad for Traeger grills ends with a 1.2 second blast of happy-clappy. The commercial's OK, but it's been overplayed for a couple of months now. 

I can't find any ads for Nebraska Furniture Mart on iSpot, but their famous contest winning song features some happy-clappy backing and weird e-drums. (Drums are too raucous for Warren Buffet)  But damn, it's a pretty catchy tune. Consider yourself lucky if you don't live in "NFM' territory, they advertise heavily on local TV, so other local furniture places also have to buy TV adverts to keep up. Daytime TV is all furniture and car commericals. 
Rice is good if you're hungry and feel like eating 2,000 of something. - Mitch Hedberg
Sponsored Links

radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 7:08pm
I've noticed that trend too. I'll have to think about some commercials that have it.
Kelly H View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 7:01am

GETTING A BIT TIRED OF THE GHETTO MUSIC TREND - As in this example:

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 10:04pm
Kelly H was up late way up there in the north west.
MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Kelly H Kelly H wrote:

GETTING A BIT TIRED OF THE GHETTO MUSIC TREND - As in this example:

I knew when the Bu bu bu bu bu buuuuuh I'm Lovin It ad campaign came out that it was the beginning of the end and it was going to be mandatory for EVERYTHING to be urban and ghetto. Between that and the impromptu dance numbers every time the kids have to go back to school is just so over-the-top cringey "How do you do, fellow white kids?" fake it's unwatchable.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Geezer Geezer wrote:

There's been an annoying trend in music for TV commercials; I call it "happy-clappy"...typically a mix of hand clapping, finger snaps, drums, foot stomps and other random percussion. Sometimes it's combined with other instruments, sometimes it's on it's own. This kind of stuff is all created on the music-person's computer, most likely with pre-recorded samples, which is why it usually sounds flat, fake and synthetic, because it is. 

This spot was in heavy rotation here locally on daytime TV last year. ALL IN on happy-clappy! 

And this one, which includes some kind of annoying "toy piano" chords. Super-annoying music, and cheesy "dad of hot daughter" trope. Ermm 

The damned "Pied Piper" ad for Traeger grills ends with a 1.2 second blast of happy-clappy. The commercial's OK, but it's been overplayed for a couple of months now. 

I can't find any ads for Nebraska Furniture Mart on iSpot, but their famous contest winning song features some happy-clappy backing and weird e-drums. (Drums are too raucous for Warren Buffet)  But damn, it's a pretty catchy tune. Consider yourself lucky if you don't live in "NFM' territory, they advertise heavily on local TV, so other local furniture places also have to buy TV adverts to keep up. Daytime TV is all furniture and car commericals.

I think the origins of that trend might be partly tied to the popularity of a musical theater production called STOMP that began in the early 90's in London, then traveled around the world doing shows on Broadway and in theaters and performance venues in other cities. 

I remember David Letterman making fun of it for awhile.

But the whole "happy clappy" thing isn't really new either.

The one example of it that always grated on my nerves, and which was part of the reason why I never watched the show (aside from the fact that it sucked), was at the beginning of the awful theme song from Friends....

Ugh.... Sick

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 4:32pm

I don't mind this happy-clappy stuff:

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I don't mind this happy-clappy stuff:

Funny video, but I'd have to smack that guy after a couple more minutes of that chant.

Mighta been funnier with some funny music.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 8:42pm

That audio is used in a lot of Tik-tok videos/Youtube shorts.

There's a few Tik-tok songs I like, even though you only get a few lines or even less in the videos.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 8:47pm
Here's one used in a lot of vids. It's actually just a sped-up version of the Shangri-las original.

Pretty stupid, a lot of these short videos.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 6:50am
Quote But the whole "happy clappy" thing isn't really new either.

I used to see something similar in the steak places last century, the employees would come out and do a Happy Birthday thing while clapping. It was annoying, and it was easy to tell that they weren't too enthusiatic about it either... 
Kelly H View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2023 at 4:12am
so all of a sudden lately I have been hearing barking dogs mixed in with the commercial music, I hope this is not the start of yet another annoying trend.
1/ GMC Truck commercial with something that sounds like a Led Zep song with dog barking
2/ Canada McDonalds commercial with music and dog barking to make the Quarter pounder seem even more bad ass.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2023 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Kelly H Kelly H wrote:

so all of a sudden lately I have been hearing barking dogs mixed in with the commercial music, I hope this is not the start of yet another annoying trend.
1/ GMC Truck commercial with something that sounds like a Led Zep song with dog barking.

Yeah, they do sound like Led Zeppelin. I think it's a band called Rival Sons, and the song is Pressure and Time (of course they don't cite LZ as an influence on their Wiki page, but it's so obvious).   But the commercial's voiceover drowns the dog and the music out. At least that's the way it sounds on my handheld.

Geezer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 8:37pm
General Motors (GM) is running ads about how great it is to work for them. Anyway, the backing music takes Happy-Clappy to UNPRECEDENTED LEVELS. 

I tried embedding a link to the commercial, but it links to a different commercial. Ermm

Here's a link to the iSpot dot TV page for this commercial:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/1TcX/general-motors-earn-a-living-song-by-andreya-triana-t1

You tube video of the entire song. The singer is an established music artist, this isn't a "jingle" written for the commercial. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEsOTfcT3H8

Rice is good if you're hungry and feel like eating 2,000 of something. - Mitch Hedberg
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 12:18am
Almond milk has this combined with Kids CHANTING
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic