Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thanksgiving ideas and help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanksgiving ideas and help?
    Posted: 22 Nov 2008 at 7:41pm
I've never been much of a fan of turkey (or even eating chicken frequently), so I'm totally ignorant about this.  Somebody told me that I need to buy the turkey DAYS before T-Day in order for it to defrost.  I never thought about that.  So, the question is, how many days ahead of time do I need to buy it? 

David and his boyfriend, Jordan, are going to be doing the cooking, so I don't have to worry about that.  But I guess I need to know how big a turkey to get (6 people, leftovers okay to send home with people), and when I need to start the defrosting process.  Or is there a good choice of turkeys avalable that are NOT frozen--and not too expensive?

I know we have some amazing chefs here, so I figured you were the ones to ask!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2008 at 7:58pm
Hmmm, I've unthawed turkey in a clean sink filled with ice cold water.  I forget how long it took, but it was the same day that I cooked it.
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2008 at 9:36pm
I'm cooking for 13.  I bought the turkey today (frozen) and the meat guy assured me that if I put it in the fridge today (they say it's the safest way to defrost) it should be OK for Thursday.

He actually said a 20-pound turkey would thaw in time.  I bought a 19.

He also suggested around .75-1 pound, per person.

You'll have a hard time finding a 7 pound turkey, though.  I think.  It seems most of what I saw in the supermarket today were massive.

If I were you, I wouldn't take any chances.  I'd get a fresh turkey, hopefully you can find one that's 10-12 pounds, and keep it in the fridge.

Also - get a package of Reynold's cooking bags.  You won't have to baste and it will cook faster.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 12:34am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

I've never been much of a fan of turkey (or even eating chicken frequently), so I'm totally ignorant about this.  Somebody told me that I need to buy the turkey DAYS before T-Day in order for it to defrost. 

My local supermarket gives the option of buying fresh or frozen (as in frozen SOLID) turkeys.  The "fresh" ones (unless killed that day and shipped to your store, which is unlikely) are also to some degree,  "frozen".  They have to be kept very cold and often have ice crystals.   So I allow a day or so for these birds to "thaw" as well, although I've roasted them just fine without.   I always roast to a temp of 180 in the dark meat.  I do not baste, it's not necessary.  And  I do my stuffing IN the bird so I need to be able to get my arm up there!  LOL  Anyway the guideline is that it takes one full day of defrosting (in the fridge!) for each 5 pounds of turkey.   So a 20 pounder will take about 4 days.  I believe in buying larger birds, too.  The smaller ones are not very meaty and you're essentially just paying for bone. 
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 12:45am
Originally posted by aleen aleen wrote:

Hmmm, I've unthawed turkey in a clean sink filled with ice cold water.  I forget how long it took, but it was the same day that I cooked it.

If you've "unthawed" your turkey, that'd means you've re-frozen it.  Wink   As a chef, I can tell you that water bath thawing/defrosting is not recommended for sanitation reasons.   It's not like you don't know when the holiday's coming...so I say "prepare in advance" allowing time for thawing etc.  
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

If you've "unthawed" your turkey, that'd means you've re-frozen it.  Wink   As a chef, I can tell you that water bath thawing/defrosting is not recommended for sanitation reasons.   It's not like you don't know when the holiday's coming...so I say "prepare in advance" allowing time for thawing etc.  

Well, I'm neither a chef nor an English major.  I apologize for giving "not recommended" advice.  I was just stating what worked for me.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 2:58am
I would cook a honey brined 14 lb. turkey for the amount of people you wish to serve.

If you get a frozen bird, allow it to thaw in the fridge for a couple of days. It's a good way of thawing, not rushed, and it allows the meat to cook evenly. It also seems to keep the meat more moist, turkey tends to be on the dry side so that's why I recommend a pre-brined bird.

I like mixing a brine solution, if my bird isn't pre-brined, by mixing orange juice and honey then marinading the bird over night.

Any other little tips? Give me a PM

Cheers! and good luck!
One man gathers what another man spills
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 2:59am
Aleen, I remember seeing somebody (maybe my mom) doing the sink thaw!  Nowadays it's not recommended, but sometime back it was an acceptable way of doing it.  So, thank you for that!

And thank you, too, to Holly_Rock and Spicy_Meatball.  My son is out right now buying the bird!  Without your input, we would NOT have gotten it today! Hug

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 3:11am
Hey...look aleen...I wasn't trying to hurt your sensibilities.   I used a "winkie" when I corrected your "unthawed" comment.  You learned something today! How about a "thanks"?  Tongue  I was also trying to be professional by pointing out that thawing poultry in a water bath, cold or not,  isn't the way to go for MOST people.   Just as brining a bird isn't for MOST people as well as DEEP FAT FRYING isn't for MOST people.   You have to be careful.  I am sure you were!   I'd like to see people not get sick, is all.   Hey I insist on cooking my stuffing inside my turkey.  Shocked    I don't give a crap about the people who say I'll die if I do it.   That's horsesh*t.  I know how to prepare it safely and not bring the stuffing out with bloody juices all over it.   All it takes is some moron (doing just that) spoiling it for the "restivus".   Big%20smile  If you want to continue to "unthaw" your bird in the sink then by all means, toots, have at it!  Clap   Enjoy your holiday!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 3:16am

Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

And thank you, too, to Holly_Rock and Spicy_Meatball.  My son is out right now buying the bird!  Without your input, we would NOT have gotten it today! Hug

That's great. Clap  Do you make dressing/stuffing?  IMO the turkey's always more moist when it's stuffed.   I always remove the stuffing when the turkey's done,  and for extra safe measure, put it into a casserole and make sure it's at least 170 degrees before I serve it. 

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 4:48am
Forget the bird, serving this will make everybody happy (and no prep time needed!):

Big%20smile LOL
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 9:09am
Thanks, Jimmy!  I guess our posts crossed.  I must have been typing as you were posting. 

David bought a "two-hour" turkey, which I think is brined.  I don't know what the two hours refers to, because I'm sure it's going to take a LOT longer than that to roast!
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 10:35am
http://www.serve.com/marbeth/high_heat_turkey_long.html

Recipe for a High Heat ("2-Hour") Turkey.

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 11:10am

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

That's great. Clap  Do you make dressing/stuffing?  IMO the turkey's always more moist when it's stuffed.   I always remove the stuffing when the turkey's done,  and for extra safe measure, put it into a casserole and make sure it's at least 170 degrees before I serve it. 

I stuff the bird, as well.  I add chopped granny smith apple (has to be granny smith, for the tartness) and craisins to a basic bells-seasoning recipe.  I do not include the giblets, because they gross me out.  I have a relative who lives in the same town, who hosts Thanksgiving for the in-laws, and every year I give our giblets to him to use in ~their~ stuffing.  Blech Dead

I think, and I'm not a chef or an expert on food safety so I could be mistaken, the greatest danger is with the leftover stuffing, still in the bird, the next day.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 6:06pm
My Thanksgiving looks like it may be evolving into a brother/sister tug of war.  Brother wants to have it at his house, but without cooking a turkey (as he's been slowly going vegetarian).  Sis wants to have turkey (as does everyone else) but doesn't want to have it at her house this year.  Maybe I'll see if the supermarkets sell prepared turkeys.

I'll be making split pea soup.  Made some the other day.  It's incredibly easy, but takes about three hours to cook.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 6:33pm
My sister usually goes to hubby's folks and my brother goes to wifey's folks for Thanksgiving......always have. I'm always 'invited' yet usually decline.

Mr Tim's suggestion looks appealing......Embarrassed
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 6:45pm
We usually go to my husband's sister's place.  I usually bake pies to bring.  This year I'm making two pecan pies, one apple streusel pie and some tarts with pears, bleu cheese and pecans.  Sister-in-law and her husband are not eating anything with gluten at the moment, and my mother-in-law suspects that they're making bread-free stuffing Dead  I may have to make some bread stuffing, as I can't stomach the idea of bread-free stuffing.

I usually have people over for Canadian Thanksgiving, but have only made a full-sized turkey once before.  It was the first year that we were married.  Mr. Aleen was so excited to be having two Thanksgivings!  The problem was, we had such a large amount of leftovers that he was really sick of turkey.  That took away the excitement of his own Thanksgiving in November.  Every year since then, we've had beer can chicken on the barbecue for Canadian Thanksgiving, along with all of the typical yummy side dishes!  Mmmmmm!!!
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 7:19pm
Aleen, my dad doesn't like bread stuffing.  I found a recipe for Cajun Rice stuffing that came out great!

aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by MrsHill MrsHill wrote:

Aleen, my dad doesn't like bread stuffing.  I found a recipe for Cajun Rice stuffing that came out great!

Ohhhh, that sounds divine!  If you have the recipe handy, could you please send it to me?(the recipe, not the stuffing!  LOL)
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 8:11pm
I know the food connoissuers & afficionados here will cringe at this, but I'd be happy with a couple of these things (one for me & one for everyone else).

I absolutely LOVE these things... Tongue

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 8:13pm

Ohhhh, that sounds divine!  If you have the recipe handy, could you please send it to me?(the recipe, not the stuffing!  LOL)

My mom makes sausage stuffing.

You could just sit down & make a meal out of that by itself.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

(drools) OK, I may be sold on bread-free stuffing!  Or maybe we can have both!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 8:28pm

Oh, this isn't bread-free, it's bread stuffing with ground sausage mixed in.

You can do breakfast sausage or Italian sausage.

C'mon, man!
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2008 at 8:30pm

Oh, this isn't bread-free, it's bread stuffing with ground sausage mixed in.

You can do breakfast sausage or Italian sausage.

Oh, that's OK!  The gluten-free folks can enjoy their bread-free stuffing!  I can make sausage and bread stuffing as well as just plain bread stuffing!  LOL  I'm going to a "Thanksgiving Bootcamp" at my gym on Thursday at the crack of dawn, so what do I care if I eat two different kinds of stuffing!  Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic