Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woke commercials....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedStryker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woke commercials....
    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 4:25am
The ad agencies are going full throttle including all of the Alphabet and Tax credit folks these days... Its rare to see a normal white straight family with dad, mom, two normal kids and the family dog in a commercial now... Even the commercials that are animated are featuring the alphabet crowd...
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 12:51pm
I keep saying that I hope all this noise is just a passing fad. 

A cause du jour.

I hope that it goes the way of disco.

But then, I hoped the same thing about rap music, so..... Stern Smile

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 7:24pm
by woke we mean "awakened" ?

seems to me the grammar is wrong or does that not matter anymore?

or is It I woke up this morning and now I'm woke ?

I was blind to the facts but now I see

I was asleep to the facts but now I'm woke ?

we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream
Dr. John Dorian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. John Dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 2:35am
I'm so sick of the "woke" crap. I'm fine with diversity, but it doesn't hurt anyone to still show a traditional family once in a while. I don't care about ethnicity, just show a husband and wife with children born in wedlock! We still exist! Maybe if you included us in the mix, we would buy more of your product. Which is the point of advertising, right?
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 3:45pm
seems we are cloaked in woke 
we are the music makers
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 3:05am
They're cool with upsetting the older demographic if they can generate buzz and pull in the younger market. Especially if they are trying to catch a competitor in sales.   
Thuumb View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thuumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:23am
Originally posted by HART HART wrote:

seems we are cloaked in woke 

Crack is whack, and Woke is broke.
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 5:25pm

Nicole Holliday, a linguist at Pomona College who researches sociolinguistics and racial and ethnic boundaries in language, argues that the Internet may have sped up the life cycle of a word like woke, sending it from new to played-out in record time.

"So many more people are being exposed to so much more language by people that they wouldn't normally interact with," Holliday says. "The people you follow on Twitter aren't necessarily people that you talk to in real life."

"Some group of young people — usually young people of color — start popularizing a word," Holliday says. "They interact with other young people and people a little older than them."

And then, Holliday says, people in their 20s grab hold of it, as do white liberals, and so on and so forth. Their parents hear it, and before you know it, a buzzword ends up in a corporate board meeting. By then, Holliday argues, that word is done.

Of course, this way in which words cycle through the culture is nothing new. Emily Brewster, an associate editor at Merriam-Webster sees parallels with the phrase "politically correct," which is defined as "conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated," but at this point usually means something pretty different.

"At its most sincere," Brewster says, "[the phrase politically correct] is a kind of caretaking of the people around you. You are going to think about how the words impact an audience that is maybe, maybe not the audience that you first imagined when you are saying something or creating something."

But now, argues Brewster, it's become a cudgel, a mockery. Words that begin with a very specific meaning, used by a very specific group of people, over time become shorthand for our politics, and eventually move from shorthand to linguistic weapon. Or in the case of woke, a linguistic eye-roll.

But yet, here we are, still using the word.

we are the music makers
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:56pm

^ F'shizzle, m'nizzle.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:02pm
Terms used on cable news that I used to like but that got played out quick:

Connect the dots
Nothingburger
Gaslight

When I hear someone use "nothingburger", I think "What is this? 2018??".

HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Connect the dots
Nothingburger
Gaslight

AWESOMESAUCE
we are the music makers
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:58pm
The one word I am sooooooooooooooooooo sick of hearing white news anchors (and everyone else but especially woke white news anchors) is "dropped", in the context of some new song that has been released or some other entertainment industry garbage that has been made available to the public.

What used to be known as "released" has now become "dropped".

And local TV news anchors have, as with every other new fad word, jumped on the bandwagon with both feet.

Like an egg.

Or a turd.

One more piece of verbal feces to credit the rap/hip-hop industry with.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thuumb View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thuumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 10:03pm
To me, the stupidest thing about someone who uses the term "woke" with its noble intent, is that it implies the "woke" person has been asleep their whole life prior to now. If not asleep, what? Just stupid? Racist? Sexist? 

Wouldn't it be better if you were NOT racist and NOT sexist your whole life, not just since George Floyd and #METOO?
Dejoh View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dejoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 12:28am
"Game Changer"  I hear it on at least a dozen commercials daily.
There's a sucker born every minute.
GulDukat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GulDukat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 1:48pm
Could someone post an example of a "woke" commercial? 
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by GulDukat GulDukat wrote:

GulDukat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GulDukat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by NJtoTX NJtoTX wrote:

Originally posted by GulDukat GulDukat wrote:

That was very informative. Thanks for posting. 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 5:33pm
^ The lady explained it well!  At my age I don't need all this 'WOKE' crap.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:28pm
That was pretty interesting. Thanks.

But did anyone notice what a pancake butt that Kendall Jenner has? The opposite of her half-sisters. Is that sexist of me to notice?

HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:44pm

That was pretty interesting. Thanks.

But did anyone notice what a pancake butt that Kendall Jenner has? The opposite of her half-sisters. Is that sexist of me to notice?

no it means you like big butts and you can not lie!
we are the music makers
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 9:49pm

Connect the dots
Nothingburger
Gaslight

In the past year with COVID it has been...

SURGE!!!!!!
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:34pm

In these unprecedented times, we humans are all in this together. And the pandemic has given marketers a new purpose, which is to turn perfectly respectable everyday words and phrases into confusing, meaningless or exploitative cliches. And so, among the many other terrors of 2020, the torture of English language took new directions. Here are some examples.

Unprecedented

This adjective showed up in countless ads and press releases this spring and summer. It was useful for everyday conversations, too, such as: “In these unprecedented times, I’m going for a walk.” Yet, sadly, these times aren’t entirely unprecedented. There’s the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-19. The Black Death. Etc.

New normalIt’s not really new (see "unprecedented" above), and it’s also not normal. Seems like only yesterday we got out of the old new normal

HeroesFrom retail to healthcare,  marketers called out front-line workers as heroes in pandemic ads, banners and signs. It would have seemed more sincere had the copy read: “We’re boosting our heroes’ pay 50% by cutting senior executive salaries and bonuses, because why should they make so much more than the front-line workers just for sitting home on Zoom meetings?”

Disputed

Thousands of tweets, often presidential, get slapped with this label daily. This includes suggestions that the late Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez somehow was part of a plot to make voting machines flip Trump votes for Biden, even though Chavez has been dead since 2013 and hand recounts showed no computerized vote flipping. Maybe it’s time to scrap “disputed” for stronger adjectives like “delusional” or “demonstrably false” or “ridiculous.”

Agile

A term used largely by organizations that would like to be but aren’t.

Pivot

Hopefully, one day soon, this word will conjure up only thoughts of “Friends” or a dance class. Right now, it's the word we most want to pivot away from.

we are the music makers
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:36pm
AND OF COURSE WOKE
we are the music makers
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:11am
The 'new normal' is the most puke-worthy term for the transition out of the pandemic. Like they don't want us returning to the cheerful life of summer 2019, 2018, etc etc. This is really confusing, especially since President Biden said recently there would be enough vaccines for every American adult by the end of May.
Right on track for summer! I would donate a kidney at this point if they would promise no more restrictions, Fauci interviews or governor threats this summer and forever after that...
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 2:54am
Originally posted by crainbebo crainbebo wrote:

The 'new normal' is the most puke-worthy term for the transition out of the pandemic. Like they don't want us returning to the cheerful life of summer 2019, 2018, etc etc. This is really confusing, especially since President Biden said recently there would be enough vaccines for every American adult by the end of May.
Right on track for summer! I would donate a kidney at this point if they would promise no more restrictions, Fauci interviews or governor threats this summer and forever after that...

He's now saying end of April.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic