Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gross disgusting bug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gross disgusting bug
    Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 8:05pm
Can anyone identify this creature?  I took the pic through a screen so I know the pic is bad.  I sprayed it with bug killer and it flew away.  Hopefully it dies before it breeds!  Sick

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 8:16pm

It'd probably be easier to identify if you took it from the other side so we could see the markings on its back.

Insects like that really don't "bug" me. I try to save their lives if they 're in an unsafe situation. Hell, all they get is that one little life.

A few years back, I tried to save some odd-looking spider at work. Turns out it was a wolf spider. Wolf spiders carry their babies on their backs. When I tried to scoop it up onto a piece of paper, this is what happened:

At that point, I had to kill it and all the babies.

Oh, that wasn't a video I made, just one from Youtube.

caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 8:49pm
It depends on the bug if I will save it.  If looking at it gives me nightmares...it's a dead bug.  Spiders are in the dead category.  Cave crickets/spiders. Whatever that thing on my screen was. Roaches. Ants (in the house).  Slugs.  Ticks.  Mosquitoes. 

"It'd probably be easier to identify if you took it from the other side so we could see the markings on its back."   It was just black on the other side.

Guess I'm not an outside girl, huh?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 10:12pm

I'll kill ants in the house, and in CA, I used to kill the black widows on my property. I just didn't want the cats to see them as toys. Not sure about cats' immunity to their bites.

On the other hand, I love dragonflies and praying mantises.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

Can anyone identify this creature?  I took the pic through a screen so I know the pic is bad.  I sprayed it with bug killer and it flew away.  Hopefully it dies before it breeds!  Sick

I'm not sure, but it looks like an Ensign Wasp

I get them here and I do not kill them.

Why?

Because they eat cockroach egg pods.

It might be some kind of beetle, but whatever it is, I don't think you need to spray it with poison.

Just flick it with your fingernail and it will likely never come back.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 2:25pm
I think praying mantises are so cute.  I've saved a couple of them.

Jimbo, I don't think my bug is that Ensign Wasp you mentioned.  Mine looks a lot bigger.  It's about 2 inches long, longer with all the legs and tentacles, has kind of a triangle head, and has a big body.  Thanks though.

I suppose I could try bug identification on line, but I did that once and I had to scroll through pages and pages of disgusting pics of bugs.  Blech!  (I sound so squeamish but I'm really not! I just hate bugs.)
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 2:45pm
I believe that might be a western conifer seed bug, very plentiful here in Maryland.  They remind me of the long skinny cousin of a stink bug.  HATE THEM BOTH!!  And they buzz loudly when flying around....now I am giving myself goose bumps.
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:46pm
Okay, I bit the bullet and went looking on line.  This is what I think it is:
known as:  leaf-footed bug, squash bug, clown bug, tip-wilter
Ugly is what I call it.

Only my bug was all black.  They said it's about an inch long, but mine was much longer.  We grow 'em big here in Kentucky. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic