Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P. Chadwick Boseman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Chadwick Boseman
    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 3:44am
Chadwick Boseman, the rising star known for playing Black Panther in a series of movies, as well as James Brown in Get On Up, died today after a private 4 year battle with colon cancer. May he R.I.P.

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 3:57am
I was not familiar with him, but I hate to hear about anyone dying of cancer.

RIP to him.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 10:03am
A friend of mine died of colon cancer in 2018. One month from diagnosis to death.

Anyway, RIP to Boseman.

radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

A friend of mine died of colon cancer in 2018. One month from diagnosis to death.

Anyway, RIP to Boseman.

Colon Cancer is one of those types where you could survive for quite a few years before passing or die in a very short time after diagnosis. 

Very sad that you lost your friend.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 6:05pm

Thanks. There's a whole Facebook page re his death, and his many friends got together the last two years in some sorta Zoom thing. Even his students are involved (he taught at Hollywood High). I'm not into all that.

Oddly, though, he was on top of all that health stuff. So, yeah, it might've come on just that quickly.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 8:51pm

Thanks. There's a whole Facebook page re his death, and his many friends got together the last two years in some sorta Zoom thing. Even his students are involved (he taught at Hollywood High). I'm not into all that.

Oddly, though, he was on top of all that health stuff. So, yeah, it might've come on just that quickly.

He must have been fairly well known in the community.

I have to feel sorry for all his students, losing their teacher they all loved and seen every day, and not being able to see him ever again.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 9:12pm

He'd actually retired from teaching the year before. He seems to have been a popular teacher. I know he had a million friends...from NJ to Ca.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 9:25pm

He'd actually retired from teaching the year before. He seems to have been a popular teacher. I know he had a million friends...from NJ to Ca.

With a million friends he must have been famous in some way.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 9:49pm

Nope. Just a memorable guy. Had great parties. Hundreds of people in his Haight St apartment in the 80s.
Plus, he was about 6'8". That helps.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:01am
I feel for this Chadwick Boseman guy and all, but for Pete's sake, half of tonight's ABC Evening News broadcast was devoted to him.

Something like the first 10 minutes were stories and tributes (at least I think they were - I had the sound  muted) with pictures of him with and being spoken of by Denzel Washington, President Obama, and a few more that were on while I was paying attention to something on my computer.

Then the managed to squeeze in a few quick stories about the latest social justice whatever and a quick little mention of hurricane Laura victims.... then it was a commercial break and when they came back.... more on Chadwick Boseman.

Musta been half the broadcast.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:07am

SJW crap is everywhere. Hell, I was just watching "best of SJW" compilations on Youtube. But even those get old after 100 or so.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:16am
I'd never actually heard of this guy, though I've heard of some of his movies. Then again, I'm not exactly up on today's celebs.

I always wonder about the families these young celebs leave behind. I see he was worth $12 mil. They'll be OK.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:22am

I'd never actually heard of this guy, though I've heard of some of his movies. Then again, I'm not exactly up on today's celebs.

I always wonder about the families these young celebs leave behind. I see he was worth $12 mil. They'll be OK.

Depending on how big his immediate family was, after they're finished fighting each other over it and each paying their lawyers' fees, probate fees and taxes, they might each walk away with enough to buy a new car. 

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:36am

This case might be different. He had the disease four years. I hope he would've made a will by this time.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:59am
I'm fairly certain that he would have.

But of course, wills can be contested.

Claims of undue influence, etc.

The smartest thing to do is put your money into trusts or even jointly held POD (Payable On Death) bank accounts.

POD accounts are called "The Poor Man's Trust" because they supercede everything, including a will.

If a will says brother Joe gets it all, but brother John was the co-owner of a POD joint account, brother John gets the money in that account.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 1:14am

Still, all the outstanding bills have to be paid out of wherever before anyone gets anything. Some things might be exempt...like maybe life insurance policies. I don't know about the POD thing. I'd imagine the co-owner's half is exempt.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 2:36am

Still, all the outstanding bills have to be paid out of wherever before anyone gets anything. Some things might be exempt...like maybe life insurance policies. I don't know about the POD thing. I'd imagine the co-owner's half is exempt.

POD accounts totally bypass probate.

The entire account becomes the property of the co-owner at the moment the primary owner dies.

They are basically untouchable as they are not even considered part of the deceased's estate.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 3:57am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I feel for this Chadwick Boseman guy and all, but for Pete's sake, half of tonight's ABC Evening News broadcast was devoted to him.

Something like the first 10 minutes were stories and tributes (at least I think they were - I had the sound  muted) with pictures of him with and being spoken of by Denzel Washington, President Obama, and a few more that were on while I was paying attention to something on my computer.

Then the managed to squeeze in a few quick stories about the latest social justice whatever and a quick little mention of hurricane Laura victims.... then it was a commercial break and when they came back.... more on Chadwick Boseman.

Musta been half the broadcast.

I think the reason Boseman's death is getting so much coverage is because it's the first time in awhile an entertainer has died at the height of fame, the fact that this was a private battle makes it all the more surprising to people.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 6:08pm
I saw part of the James Brown movie he did (Mick Jagger produced it) and I have to say, this guy was brilliant. Sorry to see him go when the world was his oyster.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

I saw part of the James Brown movie he did (Mick Jagger produced it) and I have to say, this guy was brilliant. Sorry to see him go when the world was his oyster.

I thought he was great performing historical figures in movies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic