Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus/COVID-19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 11:57pm
I'm in a really tough situation right now. I'm very fortunate that my case of Covid 19 was mild and I'm in recovery, yet I am still in quarantine.
Along with that my sister contacted me in the wee hours of the early morning today to let me know that our Mum died. She didn't have Covid, she had a stroke last week that took her today.
My sister lives here in the U.S., and we brought Mum here when she developed dementia, but we always intended to take Mum back to the U.K. to be put to rest next to our Dad. Right now, due to this bloody pandemic we can't do a bloody thing. We can't even have a viewing or funeral for the wonderful lady, let alone board a plane and fly her back to Newcastle Upon Tyne where Dad is buried.
Sis can't even pay me a visit so I can give her a hug, she's a nurse in a Philadelphia Hospital. She can't take any risks at all, since she's at risk while she's at work. Needless to say I am truly gutted.
This is not a good place to be in my life right now, but I am more fortunate than many who are suffering worse at the moment.
Please stay safe everyone. Happy Easter to all!
One man gathers what another man spills
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

I'm in a really tough situation right now. I'm very fortunate that my case of Covid 19 was mild and I'm in recovery, yet I am still in quarantine.
Along with that my sister contacted me in the wee hours of the early morning today to let me know that our Mum died. She didn't have Covid, she had a stroke last week that took her today.
My sister lives here in the U.S., and we brought Mum here when she developed dementia, but we always intended to take Mum back to the U.K. to be put to rest next to our Dad. Right now, due to this bloody pandemic we can't do a bloody thing. We can't even have a viewing or funeral for the wonderful lady, let alone board a plane and fly her back to Newcastle Upon Tyne where Dad is buried.
Sis can't even pay me a visit so I can give her a hug, she's a nurse in a Philadelphia Hospital. She can't take any risks at all, since she's at risk while she's at work. Needless to say I am truly gutted.
This is not a good place to be in my life right now, but I am more fortunate than many who are suffering worse at the moment.

Jimmy, I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I tell you how sorry I am (we are) to hear of your tragic loss.

The loss of any family member is tough enough to bear, but the loss of one's mother is the toughest of all, even in normal circumstances.

But to have to deal with something like that right now has got to be awful.

I really feel for you and I hope there's some way they can inter your mom in some temporary facility until such time as this thing is over and you can get her back home again.

Hang in there friend.

You are thought of.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

Jimmy, I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I tell you how sorry I am (we are) to hear of your tragic loss.

The loss of any family member is tough enough to bear, but the loss of one's mother is the toughest of all, even in normal circumstances.

But to have to deal with something like that right now has got to be awful.

I really feel for you and I hope there's some way they can inter your mom in some temporary facility until such time as this thing is over and you can get her back home again.

Hang in there friend.

You are thought of.

Thanks mate,you don't know how much that means to me. Jimbo, you really are a great chap.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 8:39am
Wow, Jimmy...I'm so sorry to hear this. Not that any time is good for something like this to happen, but at this time it's especially bad.

My thoughts are with you.

caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 1:35pm
So sorry you and your family are going through this.  Things will get back to normal eventually and you can have a lovely memorial service to honor your Mom.  Glad to hear you're feeling better.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 3:14pm
Oh Jimmy, I'm so very very sorry to hear this. Group hug! Get better and I'm sure you will think of e fitting memorial for your Mother. RIP.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Wow, Jimmy...I'm so sorry to hear this. Not that any time is good for something like this to happen, but at this time it's especially bad.

My thoughts are with you.

Thanks so much Thor. That really means a lot when I hear from you.
This whole pandemic situation here in the Mid-Atlantic states is a bloody nightmare. The trouble with getting anywhere to do anything. I don't like wearing the bloody masks, but if it lowers the curve I'm all for it.
They're also experiencing the same in the U.K... We couldn't get Mum transported anytime soon anyway, but this is a fiasco.
Also miss her smiling face.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

So sorry you and your family are going through this.  Things will get back to normal eventually and you can have a lovely memorial service to honor your Mom.  Glad to hear you're feeling better.
Thank you so very much! It really means something when others send their best wishes. This is such a bloody nightmare, but you're quite right about my eventual memorial gathering we'll have. 
Stay healthy love, and treats for the kitties!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

Oh Jimmy, I'm so very very sorry to hear this. Group hug! Get better and I'm sure you will think of e fitting memorial for your Mother. RIP.
Thank you so very much! These best wishes are so helpful, including the virtual group hugs!
The memorial plans I have are things Mum enjoyed wrapped into one, with her favourite foods and wine. Mum loved wine, she gave me an appreciation of it as a kid that I've never forgotten.
Stay healthy, love....and thanks!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 7:06am
I am very sorry for your family Jimmy. Especially since you have no way (due to federal order) to travel to the UK for a funeral, and even then funerals can't be done in the UK right now.
I am hoping that we'll be completely out of this soon and you can celebrate your mother's life as soon as possible.
May she RIP.

Everywhere I go I'm wearing a mask. But I'm optimistic. We've done good out west. We had 8 deaths on the last 24 hour count in WA. From the mid-20s down to 8...there is a God. My county only has 14 cases of the virus, out of 47K+ people. I think we'll gradually bump ourselves outta this in May. Hopefully 80-90% operational by July 4th, at least in WA/OR/CA.
However the Mid-Atlantic is in for one rough haul. Virginia's not out of it until June, we all know the tragedies in NYC, and Florida's peak is early May.
I'm praying for *NO* second wave. I don't want it and nor does anyone else. If we can find the medicine, test like crazy and keep the cases flattened down towards zero, the second wave might not affect fall/winter as badly in terms of deaths and contagion.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 9:20pm
Some hopeful news coming out of this:

I did read however that there were some bad side effects in about 25% of the patients - septic shock, kidney problems etc etc. Wonder if they had pre-existing cx that prompted that, or if the medicine is at fault.

Still being optimistic - IHME models say that WA can begin their long road to recovery the week of May 18th if we continue what we are doing. But there needs to be testing like crazy and contact tracing, capacity limits, etc.

Down in California, Gov. Newsom has a large task force on his side to help in the reopening of the economy. They include Tim Cook (Apple), Bob Iger (Disney), several former Governors including Jerry Brown, and former presidential candidate and billionaire Tom Steyer. Could be an interesting plan as to when and how we can get theme parks and the tech industry back to a modified normal this summer. Meanwhile tens of thousands of Disney cast members and employees go into furlough next week.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 10:23am
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 5:02pm
I hope this damn thing goes away soon!

Gov. Tony Evers extends Wisconsin's 'Safer at Home' order until May 26

I'll have to check the calendar but this is just before the City Wide Garage Sale.  I'm going to be giving away tons of valuable stuff. I just need a no muss-no fuss way to get rid of stuff. I also asked Linda to talk to her friend, who she is living with, who's son I know. Hoping he could help me do some stuff around here. I will pay him well.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 7:23pm
My beloved brother in law just died Friday evening from this s hit. He was fine a week ago. I feel like babe Ruth just used m y head for batting practice. It happened so fast and I can't even go give my sister a hug. f**k this!!!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 7:32pm

My beloved brother in law just died Friday evening from this s hit. He was fine a week ago. I feel like babe Ruth just used m y head for batting practice. It happened so fast and I can't even go give my sister a hug. f**k this!!!

Anything I could say to you right now would just sound trite.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 8:19pm
I'm so sorry msmadz.  This is all starting to hit too close to home for many of us.  My thoughts are with you.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 9:43pm

Anything I could say to you right now would just sound trite.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Jimbo you are never trite. In fact I found your post quite comforting. I'm just numb and needed to vent. This happened so fast I'm still in shock. Goodness everyone stay safe and healthy. Love to all.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 10:51pm
RIP to your bro-in-law, Msmadz.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 12:55am
If someone told me he was in a 10 car pile up on the highway I would believe that more than what my sister told me Saturday morning. I almost snapped my phone in half. Yes, it's possible.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:05am

If someone told me he was in a 10 car pile up on the highway I would believe that more than what my sister told me Saturday morning. I almost snapped my phone in half. Yes, it's possible.

I can't even wrap my mind around how difficult it must be for you and your family to wrap your minds around that.

I'm not trying to make a comparison, but earlier this year when my cat suddenly took ill and died in the space of a few days, it took me over a week to fully accept that he was gone.

I can''t imagine what it's like to suddenly lose a relative to something like this.

I take this business very seriously.

How old was he, btw? If you don't mind me asking.

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:33am
Don was 61. That's young and a terrible way to go.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 5:25pm
I'm 61.  I'm so sorry for you Maddy!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 12:25am
Thank you aka Ron and I'm sorry I missed thanking you too carolyn242. Thank you all. I know there are thousands of people in the same boat as me. I grieve for them all and wish them peace and love.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 12:45am

Thank you aka Ron and I'm sorry I missed thanking you too carolyn242. Thank you all. I know there are thousands of people in the same boat as me. I grieve for them all and wish them peace and love.

How's your sister holding up?

Hope she doesn't have it too.

Do they have any idea who/where he picked it up from?

Did he have some kind of medical condition that made him more at risk?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm curious about all this and thinking maybe I can learn something.

If you don't want to answer, that's OK too.

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 1:45am

How's your sister holding up?

Hope she doesn't have it too.

Do they have any idea who/where he picked it up from?

Did he have some kind of medical condition that made him more at risk?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm curious about all this and thinking maybe I can learn something.

If you don't want to answer, that's OK too.

No I'm more than happy to answer. Ok about 16 years ago he walked into a glass door and broke his nose. Because it was work related, they insisted on doing a chest xray. Unbeknownst to all of us he had a massive tumor wrapped around his ribcage. Wrap your head around that one. They sliced him open to reveal this giant cancerous legion. He had no clue and became a cancer survivor.

About a year ago(?) He suffered a heart attack.

But anytime we asked how he was he'd give that smile and shrug of his shoulder and reassure us he was "fine just fine. The doctors told me to eat more pork!"

I'm trying to remember the timeline. My niece (NYPD) I think got it first or her husband (Nassau county mounted police). Then my sister (lives across the street advocates for their daughter). Up until a few,days ago Don was fine. But he could've been doing that smile and shrug. I hope he's enjoying a big plate of pork.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic