Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus/COVID-19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

At Walmart, we have markers 6 feet apart on the floor at the registers. 6 feet apart, I guess, is better than 6 feet under.

Yeah, I just saw them for the first time yesterday.

Stepped in front of a guy with no groceries and got informed. 
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:40am
A RECAP OF THE LAST THREE WEEKS

AMERICA: Oh my god! Coronavirus! What should we do?

CALIFORNIA: Shut down your state.

AMERICA: Wait... what? Why?

CALIFORNIA: Because 40 million people live here and we did it early, and it’s working.

OHIO: Whoa... whoa... let’s not be hasty now. The president said that this whole coronavirus thing is a democratic hoax.

CALIFORNIA: He also said that windmills cause cancer. Shut down your state.

TEXAS: But the president said that we only have 15 cases and soon it'll be zero.

CALIFORNIA: The president can’t count to fifteen. Nor even spell it. Shut down your state.

NEW JERSEY: Us too?

CALIFORNIA: Yes, you guys too. Just like when Christie shut down the bridge, but it’s your whole state.

FLORIDA: But what about all these kids here on spring break?? They spend a lot of money here!

CALIFORNIA: Those kids invented the tide pod challenge. Shut down your state.

LOUISIANA: But wait let’s have Mardi Gras first. It entertains people.

CALIFORNIA: It also kills them. Shut it down.

GEORGIA: Ok well how about we keep the state open for all of our mega churches? Maybe we can all pray really hard until the coronavirus just goes away!

CALIFORNIA: Which is working like a charm for mass shootings. Jesus told us to tell you to shut down your state.

OKLAHOMA: What about the tigers?

CALIFORNIA: What about a dentist. Shut it down.

WYOMING: Hold up, maybe we should go county by county like the president said.

CALIFORNIA: Stop acting like there are counties in Wyoming. There are no counties in Wyoming. Wyoming is a county. Shut it down.

PENNSYLVANIA: But big coal.

CALIFORNIA: But big death. Shut it.

WEST VIRGINIA: But we were the last state to get coronavirus!

CALIFORNIA: And don’t make us explain to you why that was. Shut it down.

NORTH CAROLINA: But the republican national convention is coming here!

CALIFORNIA: SHUT... ok fine do what you want.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:52am
The idiocy of overreaction knows no bounds.  Watched a crawler on TV.  Here in FL, not only do they want you to stay at home, but they also 'forbid' sunbathing.  WTF?
I give it about 2 weeks before the backlash starts to show, with people openly flouting the isolation orders...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:04pm
Apparently the idiocy of ignoring the advice of doctors knows no bounds either.

As has been demonstrated by the idiots at these idiot churches who pack inside buildings together like sardines in a can, breathing each others bacteria and thinking they can just pray away reality.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Apparently the idiocy of ignoring the advice of doctors knows no bounds either.

As has been demonstrated by the idiots at these idiot churches who pack inside buildings together like sardines in a can, breathing each others bacteria and thinking they can just pray away reality.

I saw in our local paper that the cops asked a business owner why he was open. It said it happened in the '200 block of Main St.' which includes the Golf Car dealer.

I saw this story a few days ago! Men of God! Loins of the Cloth!

NOTHING is more important than passing around the collection basket (do they still do that?).

Florida pastor arrested after holding church services despite coronavirus orders

Sheriff's deputies on Monday arrested the head of a Florida church, accusing him of ignoring local orders against mass gatherings due to the coronavirus pandemic and showing "reckless disregard for human life," authorities said.

The River at Tampa Bay church held services over the weekend, and Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister said he had no choice but to take action against the pastor, Rodney Howard-Browne.

"Last night I made the decision to seek an arrest warrant for the pastor of a local church who intentionally and repeatedly chose to disregard the orders set in place by our president, our governor, the CDC and the Hillsborough County Emergency Policy Group," Chronister told reporters.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-pastor-arrested-after-holding-church-services-despite-coronavirus-orders-n1172276

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:10pm
We (NJ and NY) have a problem with the Orthodox Jews continuing on with weddings and funerals and prayer gatherings and other ceremonies, and claiming religious freedom.

Also, young males in Brooklyn were gathering in parks and playing basketball until the mayor shut them down. He might even have had the hoops removed. I don't know what their excuse was. Stupidity, I guess.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:20pm

WI COVID-19 deaths increase to 56, total confirmed positive cases climb past 2,000

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 6:35am
Washington has nearly 8,000 cases now and 338 deaths. The curve is slowly getting flattened to a pancake. And may it start to fall down soon! Leadership has been excellent here. Inslee shut down schools before most other states. Stay-at-home orders have been extended. Boeing has suspended production indefinitely. 

We might see the light at the back end of the tunnel before any other state. Once again, 2 months minimum, but could even be 3-4 months before the restaurants we love to eat at, the amazing hiking trails, the beautiful beaches, the thrills of Wild Waves and state fairs, and other summer activities come back even with a strict capacity limit. We've all read about the deadly *2nd* wave of Spanish Flu 1918.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:51am
You know when people say "this s hit got real?" Well I passed that marker this weekend. 2 of my nieces just got tested. Beloveds boss is cutting his salary and putting our home (the estate) on the market. Our jobs are in limbo. I can easily find myself jobless and homeless within weeks or months. I haven't slept or eaten in days. Yes. This s hit got very f**king real.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:55am
Wait I lied. I had half a chili dog tonight. The repercussions are catching up! 😂

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 4:02am
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

You know when people say "this s hit got real?" Well I passed that marker this weekend. 2 of my nieces just got tested. Beloveds boss is cutting his salary and putting our home (the estate) on the market. Our jobs are in limbo. I can easily find myself jobless and homeless within weeks or months. I haven't slept or eaten in days. Yes. This s hit got very f**king real.

Damn!!!! Ouch

That is very unpleasant to hear!!!

I don't know what to say other than we're all pulling for you as well as everyone else.

I just heard today that they are instituting some kind of mortgage grace period, where home owners will be able to defer their payments until all this is over without having to foreclose.

Hope it all works out.... Disapprove

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:19am
Good luck with you and the family, Maddy.  Hang in there!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:34am
You will not find yourself homeless, msmads. I can almost guarantee that. Otherwise, half the country is going to find themselves homeless. And that's just not gonna happen.

Still, good luck to you and everyone else here, for whatever problems we might encounter.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:39pm
I think there's some kind of temporary order in place barring evictions for inability to pay rent until things get back to normal.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 3:42pm
I saw something about this on the other forum I visit...HOW GENEROUS OF THEM!!  Angry

Dear Kevin,
As we all work together to slow the spread of COVID-19, more of us are at home and driving less, which means having fewer accidents. That's why we are announcing a Shelter-in-Place Payback for our auto customers. And, since our lives have become more digital, we are providing free identity protection for the rest of the year.

Most auto customers will get an average payback of about 15% based on their monthly insurance costs during April and May. You can get your payback faster through the Allstate® mobile app.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 4:45pm

77 dead from coronavirus in Wisconsin

MADISON, Wis. (WBAY) - Wisconsin has started the week with 77 deaths from coronavirus and 2,440 positive cases.

Both totals increased from Sunday to Monday. U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams has warned that this would be a difficult week for the country in terms of deaths from the COVID-19 outbreak. Death nationwide have topped 10,000.

“This is going to be our Pearl Harbor moment, our 9/11 moment," says Adams.

Deaths have been reported in Buffalo County, Dane County, Fond du Lac County, Iron County, Kenosha County, Milwaukee County, Outagamie County, Racine County, Rock County, Sauk County, Sheboygan County, Washington County, Waukesha County and Winnebago County.

Two deaths were reported at Sunny Ridge Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Sheboygan. The Wisconsin National Guard responded to the facility Sunday to help staff with testing.

The state Department of Health Services says 668 people are hospitalized with COVID-19 in Wisconsin. That number increased by 44 patients from Sunday to Monday.

DHS says 26,574 tests have come back negative for the virus.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I think there's some kind of temporary order in place barring evictions for inability to pay rent until things get back to normal.

First off,t hanks everyone for your kind thoughts.

Our situation is a little different. We don't own/rent the place we live in - it was provided to us by Beloved's boss as a "Caretaker Cottage". If the boss sells this place, we would certainly hope we could stay on and work for the new owners. But if they say "No, we have our own help, we're moving in in 2 months" then we have to leave. We don't have a legal foot to stand on. What the boss is trying to do is look for a tenant and we would stay. It's all so up in the air.

Now, we DO own a small condo in Rhode Island but I think commuting from RI to NY would get real old real fast. So I would have to look for a new job as would Beloved.

Man, this all sucks. Pass the jelly beans!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 5:30pm
If you haven't heard, Wisconsin is a total cluster fvck!

Today the state of Wisconsin is holding a primary election during a literal pandemic.

To make a long story short: Wisconsin’s Democratic governor Tony Evers tried to move the election to June, but Republican lawmakers fought for it to be held today. The decision ultimately went to the Wisconsin Supreme Court where judges overturned the governor’s executive order. Yesterday, the United States Supreme Court decided that Wisconsin wouldn’t be able to extend absentee voting. The election would go on as planned.

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 7:15pm
Some good news coming out of California, Gavin Newsom has been able to source up to 200 million masks for California each MONTH. Way to go Governor!
https://abc7.com/health/california-to-receive-more-than-200m-masks-per-month/6086947/

WA is still flattening the curve like it should. Cases went down at last check, so did deaths. If we do the right thing, summer can be saved. Albeit I see *NO* chance of massive concerts and full capacity at theme parks anytime soon, even after the restrictions are lifted. Until we get a vaccine, everything non-essential/theme parks/kiddie attractions/movies/etc. will have capped attendance.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

We (NJ and NY) have a problem with the Orthodox Jews continuing on with weddings and funerals and prayer gatherings and other ceremonies, and claiming religious freedom.

Also, young males in Brooklyn were gathering in parks and playing basketball until the mayor shut them down. He might even have had the hoops removed. I don't know what their excuse was. Stupidity, I guess.

The Lakewood region is the home of many Orthodox Jewish people, and I know they will begin claiming anti-semitism when complaining about cancelling group events. The fact of the matter is that the distancing will help their community rather than tear it apart. It's a sad situation. They need to learn that their community solidarity will be healthier by keeping their distance from everyone.....including themselves.
One man gathers what another man spills
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 5:36pm
Might this be a good sign?

China lifts 76-day lockdown on Wuhan as city reemerges from coronavirus crisis

(CNN)China has ended its lockdown of Wuhan, the original epicenter of the coronavirus crisis, as the city reemerges from a deadly outbreak that is now raging across the globe.

But even as Wuhan reopens its borders after 76 days, some restrictions within the city will remain in place, and officials warn that the threat of further infections remains far from over.
The metropolis of 11 million, where the coronavirus was first detected in December, had been sealed off from the outside world since January 23 in an unprecedented effort to contain the outbreak.
On Wednesday, healthy residents and visitors will finally be allowed to leave Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province, with trains and flights resumed and highway entrances reopened.
Wuhan's railway authority estimated more than 55,000 passengers will leave Wuhan by train Wednesday, with about 40% bound for the Pearl River Delta region, a major manufacturing hub in China, according to state broadcaster CCTV.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I saw something about this on the other forum I visit...HOW GENEROUS OF THEM!!  Angry

Dear Kevin,
As we all work together to slow the spread of COVID-19, more of us are at home and driving less, which means having fewer accidents. That's why we are announcing a Shelter-in-Place Payback for our auto customers. And, since our lives have become more digital, we are providing free identity protection for the rest of the year.

Most auto customers will get an average payback of about 15% based on their monthly insurance costs during April and May. You can get your payback faster through the Allstate® mobile app.
Just an update. I was talking about a radio ad where Dennis says "new, lower rates'.

In fact, the rate on my truck did go down a little bit...about two bucks.  And!  Their Covid payback is only $10.68!  Holy Jesus!  Now Mama can have that operation!  We pay about $35 for the home and 73 bucks a month (2 vehicles) for the auto insurance.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 5:40am
FL is going toward mandatory mask wearing in a few days.  I built one out of a piece of cloth and an old pair of Groucho glasses (the bushy eyebrows are gone, but I'll draw a moustache on the cloth.)  So technically I'll be wearing a mask, but I can also give the finger to all these silly mandates that keep coming out...
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 5:52pm
Nowhere near the end of this yet but WA cases continued to go down yesterday. 200-something cases compared to 400+ the day before. Social distancing (and a lot of optimism) works! That's what I try to tell people. Be optimistic and things will work out faster and with reliability.
I have full belief that if we (in WA) are not finished with the stay-at-home order on the May 4th date, it won't be past the end of May at the latest. Surely there will be *some* summer activities to enjoy during that season. Maybe not everything, and a lot of places capped to 1/2, but enough to enjoy the summer while being cautious not to be part of this possible 2nd wave.

I don't see the whole country going back to a modified normal until mid July. Some states won't be out of this until early July (VA, FL, etc.) while the immediate West Coast looks to be OK through most of summer. CA/OR/WA all doing a great job.
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 10:04pm
I have to say, the State of Ohio has done a great job handling the crisis. They were ahead of the curve in limiting gatherings and issuing a stay-at home order before other states in the Midwest. Gov. Mike DeWine and his response team have handled this whole thing professionally. There have been quite a few deaths, but hopefully, by taking this seriously early on, Ohio will have among the lowest deaths of any state. The stay at-home order currently goes until May 1st. I agree that social distancing works.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic