Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Repeat TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 6:52pm

A Three Stooges reboot would suck. Even just the idea of it. How could anyone top the originals? Even when Curly left, then Shemp again, the replacement wasn't as good. In other words, Besser was lesser.

I can't imagine who today could revive those characters.

Sponsored Links

radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

A Three Stooges reboot would suck. Even just the idea of it. How could anyone top the originals? Even when Curly left, then Shemp again, the replacement wasn't as good. In other words, Besser was lesser.

They did have a Three Stooges movie back in 2012.
Kelly H View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 7:13am
now there is a Wonder Years reboot - The coming-of-age story of a 12-year-old Black boy in Montgomery, Ala., in the late 1960s, as told by his adult self. Dont know why the think-tanks cant come up with any original tv content nowadays.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Kelly H Kelly H wrote:

Unfortunately the wrong shows always seem to come back like regurgitated meatloaf - sometimes with a whole new cast and even worse with the same aging actors from the original. Case in point: Party of Five (all new with an illegal immigrant spin - o joy) Charmed (all new with three standard hollywood balloon-lipped buxom twats) 90210 (original old-ass cast with the same juvenile problems) Friends (not yet here - but unfortunately same old cast carefully preserved with botox fillers and plastic surgery) - Now - here is a list of tv shows that I would love to see make a comeback (as long as they stay true and not get all politically correct) Gilligan*s Island - Get Smart - Fawlty Towers - Newheart - Coach - Space Ghost (from Coast to Coast) and my personal favorite: Married with Children (must have original cast).

There are shiws that I would also like to see rebooted and stay true to the original show.

But let's face it, that is just impossible nowadays. PC is the flavor of the day and it has to be injected into everything that appears on TV.

I'd like to see The Rockford Files rebooted with the original feel and spirit of the show adhered to as faithfully as possible. But again, we know that would be impossible in today's climate. Rockford would have to be black. LAPD Sgt. Lt. Becker would have to be a tough, but beautiful woman. Angel Martin would probably be the only character allowed to remain a white guy, but only because he was a slimy little weasel.

I just recently saw an ad for the reboot of The Wonder Years.

Original cast:

New reboot cast:

Hmmmmmmmm..... there's something different about this new cast, but I cannot seem to put my finger on it.... Ermm

I hope this pathetic, PC attempt at garbage recycling dies a quick death.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 5:49am
I never watched the original Wonder Years (maybe an episode here & there), the characters were just... annoying.  Won't be watching the reboot. They can't top Blackish...

I thought the Three Stooges movie that came out a few years ago was pretty good. The only thing that ruined it was that there was no pie fight.  It really needed that...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 8:50am

^ How many sequels were there?? Who even played the Stooges?

I think that, even for the actual Three Stooges, the bloom was off the rose by the 50s.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 3:32pm

I think that, even for the actual Three Stooges, the bloom was off the rose by the 50s.

Oh, so you're a wise guy, eh....?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 3:54pm

^ Who are those guys? They look familiar, but there's something different about them.

Oh wait! They're the same guys as these, right?:

Those colors really threw me off. Everyone knows the Three Stooges were actually gray.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 3:58pm

^ Who are those guys? They look familiar, but there's something different about them.

Oh wait! They're the same guys as these, right?:

Those colors really threw me off. Everyone knows the Three Stooges were actually gray.

I was gonna use that pic, but I liked the cropping and framing of the other one better.

I've never been much of a Stooges fan myself.

I think they run them on MeTV every Saturday night, pretty early like around 7:00 pm.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 4:04pm

What I'd like to see (from the same era) is the Bowery Boys/Dead End Kids/East Side Kids.

I never see them listed...neither the dramas nor the comedies.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 5:52am
I watched the entire Stooges collection (except for the movies, haven't gotten around to those yet.) The early stuff (30's) was the best, up to the mid-40's was fair, after that, they shamelessly recycled their earlier scripts. The "Where's Shemp?" episode was a bit sad, once you realized what was going on (apparently Shemp died during filming, so they edited in earlier footage of Shemp from another episode to complete it, with Moe & Larry running around asking "Where's Shemp?")
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 3:52pm
In a way, it's almost kind of comforting to know that the same kinds of cheesy, shamelessly phony crap the entertainment industry engages in today, is really nothing new and that they've always been doing it since the beginning.

Makes you feel like maybe not everything in the world has changed for the worse as much as it seems like it has.

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Oh, so you're a wise guy, eh....?

You can especially notice this on the color version but Larry's hair looks an awful lot like Princess Leah's. These boys really were ahead of their time!

PS - I LOVE the 3 Stooges. In high school, my best friend and I were the only ones in the theater during a midnight movie run.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

MustangMarj View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 7:21pm
I never liked the 3 Stooges…..
Don’t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:13pm
May father loves the Three Stooges. My mother doesn't.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:46pm
AMC plays some old Stooges shorts.  If Curly was in it, they still make me laugh. It was great work for that time in history!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 6:32am
LOL, serendipity.  Went to a thrift store today, they had a 10 cent sale on CD's & DVD's.  Picked up a DVD of the six Three Stooges movies, unopened to boot.  Couldn't pass it up at that price...
jgf View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 8:55pm
All these "reboots" and "reimaginings" of old shows/movies merely illustrate the dearth of creativity in Hollywood and underscore that the marketing departments run networks and studios.  Incapable of devising anything new they just copy something that was popular years ago;  and afraid to venture resources on a new idea, they rehash what made money in the past.  And invariably these do not live up to the originals because, as Thomas Wolfe wrote a century ago, "You can't go home again".

Can you imagine this mindset in other artistic fields?  An author takes a best selling novel from twenty years ago, changes character names and location, and publishes it under the same title?  An artist copies the Mona Lisa but gives her a pony tail and halter top?  (The former would be charged with plagiarism, the latter taken as a joke.)

"Perry Mason" has been popular in syndication for a half century;  "The New Perry Mason" didn't last one season and was never heard of again.

Remakes of "Charlie's Angels", "V", "Ironside", "Fantasy Island", "Bionic Woman", "Knight Rider", "The Fugitive", even "Dark Shadows", all bombed.

"Star Trek" was always about ideas and concepts and a vision of the future;  the bean counters turned it over to JJ Abrams who turned it into just another 2000s era juvenile action series (I went to his first ST film ...it was the first time in thirty years I'd walked out on a movie).

So, enjoy the originals and pray that modern Hollywood doesn't attempt a remake.
window.onbeforeunload = function() {}

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 10:02pm

^ Radionascarfan here pointed out that the Hawaii 5-0 reboot did OK. But that's an exception.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by jgf jgf wrote:

All these "reboots" and "reimaginings" of old shows/movies merely illustrate the dearth of creativity in Hollywood and underscore that the marketing departments run networks and studios.  Incapable of devising anything new they just copy something that was popular years ago;  and afraid to venture resources on a new idea, they rehash what made money in the past.  And invariably these do not live up to the originals because, as Thomas Wolfe wrote a century ago, "You can't go home again".

Can you imagine this mindset in other artistic fields?  An author takes a best selling novel from twenty years ago, changes character names and location, and publishes it under the same title?  An artist copies the Mona Lisa but gives her a pony tail and halter top?  (The former would be charged with plagiarism, the latter taken as a joke.)

"Perry Mason" has been popular in syndication for a half century;  "The New Perry Mason" didn't last one season and was never heard of again.

Remakes of "Charlie's Angels", "V", "Ironside", "Fantasy Island", "Bionic Woman", "Knight Rider", "The Fugitive", even "Dark Shadows", all bombed.

"Star Trek" was always about ideas and concepts and a vision of the future;  the bean counters turned it over to JJ Abrams who turned it into just another 2000s era juvenile action series (I went to his first ST film ...it was the first time in thirty years I'd walked out on a movie).

So, enjoy the originals and pray that modern Hollywood doesn't attempt a remake.

While I would under no circumstances argue or challenge the premise of your post, I will say that artists have been lifting ideas from other earlier artists for as long as there has been art.

These reboot TV shows are just more up front about it.

I suppose that's possible for them because people just don't give a sh*t anymore.

Back in the 80's or before.... the 70's maybe and before that, the American viewing public would have never sat still for a blatant rehash of Father Knows Best or Gilligan's Island or The Fugitive. etc.

I suppose it could also be that back then, those old shows weren't old enough to be considered "classic" TV shows yet and also because we just didn't have anywhere near as long of a string of bullsh*t that has come and gone as we do now.

BTW, pretty much all I watch are reruns of the old classic shows.

I don't have cable or satellite. Just an antenna. But there are so many retro antenna channels to choose from nowadays, you can watch that old stuff all day everyday.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 1:34am
I love watching "Frasier" reruns!
Don’t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 1:43am
I never really cared much for Frasier. 

I watch mostly old westerns during the day.

Laramie and Tales of Wells Fargo on Grit TV, and Gunsmoke on MeTV. 

Barney Miller on Antenna TV in the evening and then old movies. 

Occasionally I'll watch something on Quest like American Restoration, Ice Road Truckers, Shipping Wars and Storage Wars, etc.

A few various other things.

PBS stuff here and there.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 1:46am
Ugh - I hate Westerns!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:27am
I never liked them until recently.

It occurred to me that the old ones are one of the few refuges from political correctness.

I think that's a lot of the reason why I've come to enjoy them.

They harken back to earlier, simpler times.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I never really cared much for Frasier. 

I watch mostly old westerns during the day.

Laramie and Tales of Wells Fargo on Grit TV, and Gunsmoke on MeTV. 

Barney Miller on Antenna TV in the evening and then old movies. 

Occasionally I'll watch something on Quest like American Restoration, Ice Road Truckers, Shipping Wars and Storage Wars, etc.

A few various other things.

PBS stuff here and there.

I've watched Quest a few times at any place that carries it. They have Modern Marvels which I like.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic