Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Treetopia: just another company ruining Christmas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Treetopia: just another company ruining Christmas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treetopia: just another company ruining Christmas
    Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 3:45pm
...with their phony, fake-ass, wacky modern crap.

Treetopia is an online retailer which specializes in offbeat, oddly colored artificial Chistmas trees.

They've been running this ad on TV around here:

I don't hate the commercial itself, hence why I put this thread in Commercial Talk, and checking their website, they do have a few good looking "trees", but the idea of "improving" on traditional Christmas decor with all this new-fangled high tech gizmo junk is just really kind of unsettling to me.

The one tree that stood out in my mind the most after seeing the ad, is the "Gay Pride Tree".

Of course, they don't come right out and call it that, but is there any mistaking their intent?

The description from their website starts out...

"We're proud to present one of our most talked-about trees, one that has garnered legions of fans and has become a true media darling — the Color Burst Rainbow Christmas Tree."

Does anyone believe that their use of the word 'proud' is mere happenstance?

I don't. And I'm not sure how I feel about the targeted marketing of Christmas decor based on sexuality either. I couldn't care less about other people's orientation, but when it begins to alter the way we look at and celebrate the biggest, oldest and most traditional holiday in the world, it makes me a bit uneasy. It seems kind of disrespectful and as if it's turning Christmas into an even bigger circus than it already is.

They have them other spiral stripe colors and patterns too. One has red and white stripes and looks like a candy cane. 

Not bad, but their pink, pastel blue, orange, yellow and various other designer type colors, to me, just come across as tacky.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 3:55pm
I wonder if they think separate trees (or flags or languages or whatever) serves to unite or divide us.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 4:17pm
 LOL

Not subtle at all!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 4:39pm
There was a time when only a real tree would do, for the smell alone if nothing else.  Let's face it! That's a lot of work.  I think we drove 45 minutes one way the last time we bought a real tree, you have to cut it yourself!  The mess and fire hazard as the weeks go by, not to mention getting rid of it.

I don't feel bad about using an artificial tree. It's convenient and they last a long time. Mama did put some lights out around the house yesterday. She hasn't put the tree up yet. This is from last year.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

There was a time when only a real tree would do, for the smell alone if nothing else.  Let's face it! That's a lot of work.  I think we drove 45 minutes one way the last time we bought a real tree, you have to cut it yourself!  The mess and fire hazard as the weeks go by, not to mention getting rid of it. 

I don't feel bad about using an artificial tree. It's convenient and they last a long time. Mama did put some lights out around the house yesterday. She hasn't put the tree up yet. This is from last year.

Hell, I've got 2 artificial trees. One I bought last year at Hobby Lobby for about $6. It's about 2 ft tall at best. Table top tree. This year I bought a second one at 5 Below for $5. It's 4 ft tall. I put that one in the front window facing the street. The smaller one goes in the living room. All decorations on them are from Dollar Tree.

The thing about both of them though, is that they're GREEN,dammit!!!! Angry

For the smell I go to the tree lot and pick up a bagful of discarded lower branches. Bring them home and make a table top wreath out of them.

Smells great.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 11:11pm
Since I live in a condo, we are not allowed to have real trees.  I have the red and white tree that Jimbo posted above and let me tell you, the tree does not arrive pre-twisted like the picture!  I got frustrated trying to figure out how to twist it. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 11:22pm
Growing up, our artificial trees always smelled like the attic, which gave it a rather pleasant smell.

Besides, when it comes to wood smells. I prefer cedar over pine.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:42am
Originally posted by verminstew verminstew wrote:

Since I live in a condo, we are not allowed to have real trees.  I have the red and white tree that Jimbo posted above and let me tell you, the tree does not arrive pre-twisted like the picture!  I got frustrated trying to figure out how to twist it.

Oh, sure!!!! Ermm

LOL Wink 

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:20am
Quote One has red and white stripes and looks like a candy cane.

"And can also be used as a toilet brush!" 

My (green) artificial tree is over 50 years old, and I'm still using it. 
I used to like the LED lights when they first came out, but now they bug the hell out of my eyes.  Getting a tree with LEDs installed in the branches would be horrible...  Dead

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic