Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

News anchors cracking jokes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: News anchors cracking jokes
    Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 8:13pm

I see this all the time on CNN.These lame anchors always for no reason at all crack a joke and they laugh at it like it's "OMG SO FUNNIE!!!!!!!" yawn.You're news anchors for crying out loud, not freaking comedians, if I want comedy I can change it to Comedy Central, but since they have the daily marathon of Mad TV on for some reason and theres not much else on, I have no choice but to watch you out of boredom so please, make it a bit more bearable for me?Yeah,yeah I know it's probably a stress reliever and such, but please if you're going to crack a joke can't at least make one that sounds funny? Oh wait, if you did the FCC would probably fine you for it anyway, never mind.Dead 
Sponsored Links

Banquo View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banquo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 8:59pm
A while back on our local news one of the anchors made some stupid joke, and the thing about it was the story was one in which someone was badly injured. WTF was he thinking?
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 10:12pm
This type of newscast( called 'Happy Talk' in the TV biz) dates back to the '60s, when stations first started doing half-hour newscasts with more than one person.
I remember a 'Mad' article from that era, with a similar premise to this forum, criticizing anchors for laughing at inside jokes  in 'inappropriate' situations.
The cartoon showed one guy breaking into giggles while reporting on how many people had died in some tragedy..while the other one chuckled along, explaining, 'We're laughing because at lunch today, Jim got stuck picking up the check!'
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 10:14pm
It wasn't during a newscast, but the Chuckles the Clown funeral was a classic.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 12:35am
The ESPN douchebags do this too whenever they're not worshipping at the sweaty groin of Tiger Woods or Peyton Manning.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 1:39am
The best jokes are on the newscasters themselves when they make a tongue slip live on the air.  My favorite (that I witnessed) was when a newscaster said "bug tote" instead of "tug boat".  He nearly died of embarassment.
Back from the dead...
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 2:15am
I heard one say, "Re bight back?"....they were still laughing after the commercial.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 4:06am
Not too long ago after Dawn Wells (Gilligan's Island) got busted for possession of weed, Jimmy Kimmel did a video clip montage of what must've been two dozen news anchors including the major cable news broadcasts making the same dumb "Mary Ann gets caught with Mary Jane" joke as if they were the only one who thought of it.

Ryan Ferneau View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 6:06am
Hah... You see the same thing in newspapers.  Every other headline is a dumb pun.  Even the editorial cartoons make identical jokes.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008 at 3:17am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

It wasn't during a newscast, but the Chuckles the Clown funeral was a classic.

"A little song....a little DANCE.....a little SELTZER down your PANTS..."  LOL

My pet peeve with news anchors is their interjecting their own personal opinions or "awwww's and "ohhhhh's!" when it comes to news stories.  Maybe journalistic training has changed since I graduated college in '82, but we were taught to keep as much personal emotion out of the broadcasts as possible.   Same with news copy for papers.   We weren't supposed to include "I" or any form of personal opinion in the stories. 
Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 12:31am
I'm stunned when any of the local bobbleheads suddenly appear to grasp what they've just read off the teleprompter.  You can see their eyes light up, and they kind of look around like a poodle smelling a cookie.

Then, the stage crew cuts to commercial, and pats the anchor reassuringly, cooing softly:  "Shh, Misty, it's okay.  A neuron fired in your head, there, but it's gonna be okay.  Back to sleep, honey......shhh......"

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 12:37am
Skerl! LOL
J.R. View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Not too long ago after Dawn Wells (Gilligan's Island) got busted for possession of weed, Jimmy Kimmel did a video clip montage of what must've been two dozen news anchors including the major cable news broadcasts making the same dumb "Mary Ann gets caught with Mary Jane" joke as if they were the only one who thought of it.

Kimmel did the same thing when Britney and K-Fed split up. He showed what looked like several dozen news reporters doing the oh-so-clever "Fed-ex" pun.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 4:47am

On one of the NY stations in the 1970's, there was a weatherman named Tex Antoine.  Right before the weather forecast, there had been a story of some girl who got raped.  Tex came on and said (something like) "Well, there's only one thing you can do in that situation---lay back and enjoy it". 

He was fired immediately.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 5:07am
I remember that, Thor! He was drunk on the job, as well. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 5:16am
Faith, do you remember when the 77 WABC radio DJ got fired for playing a happy birthday song on the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima?

Here's a radio clip (scroll down to Bloopers---it's the first one):

By the way, if you have fond memories of that station (and the inimitable Cousin Bruce), that site has lots of old radio clips.  Some up to an hour long!!  Scroll to the bottom and go to the home page.

Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 8:13am
I remember once when KoKie (coke e) Roberts from ABC was sitting in a chair getting taped, HER FACE, and had been therer for several minutes because I guess someone forgot to turn off the or on some button. When she finally discovered what happened , I thought she was gonna die!! I think I laughed till I pissed myself. I saw this a long time ago on one of those BIG ASSED dishes. I was at afriends house and I think it was on some sort of channel when you can see the news with out cuts and without commercials. It was weird and it was the only time I ever saw it.
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 8:49am
Starchild? What about her face? I missed something.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 8:50am
Thor, I grew up on WABC 77.  I will check it out.  But, no, I don't remember the Hiroshima thing. Oy! 
FootballFreak View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FootballFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 3:26am
A local news reporter was in front of a city parking structure a few weeks ago and it was a story about people being mugged in the structure and in the backround while she was talking some little boy fell down and the reporter started busting up laughing and could not stop and kept saying I'm sorry hahaha sorry
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 1:56am
Originally posted by Skerlnik Skerlnik wrote:

I'm stunned when any of the local bobbleheads suddenly appear to grasp what they've just read off the teleprompter.  You can see their eyes light up, and they kind of look around like a poodle smelling a cookie.

Then, the stage crew cuts to commercial, and pats the anchor reassuringly, cooing softly:  "Shh, Misty, it's okay.  A neuron fired in your head, there, but it's gonna be okay.  Back to sleep, honey......shhh......"

LOL That's too damn funny.

We've got some real "winners" around here, too.

(photo highly retouched)

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 4:23am
The day the Olympic Torch came to San Francisco, the local news stations were carrying the live feed, which one of them temporarily lost.  A newscaster said, "We are efforting to get our signal back."

EFFORTING?  Do you mean "trying"?  How about "making an effort"?  "Endeavoring to?"

Godalmighty, will you public speakers learn how to speak English?  (And just in case anyone thinks I'm being anti-immigrant, I am talking about people for whom English IS their first language!)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 4:30am

Well, if people are going to use verbs as nouns (I posted in another topic how much I dislike Comcast's offer of a "free install kit"), they might as well use nouns as verbs.  Sigh. 

Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 2:57am
The cartoon showed one guy breaking into giggles while reporting on how many people had died in some tragedy..

I could overlook this if it happens from time to time. It's actually not an unusual reaction when people are confronted with unspeakable tragedy....not that I'm an expert or anything, but it's part of the reason big tragedies are followed by onslaughts of tasteless jokes.

Besides, it's a reporter's job to report; it's beyond human capacity to give every bad news story its due respect. We're exposed to *constant* tragic stories in the media age; we can't possibly all mourn each one as it deserves. This morning, children were trapped in a school collapse in China, what else can I do but go about my day? There was a big earthquake last week......

That said, I like watching foreign news: No commercial breaks, one person doing all the talking (and doing it properly....oh, well with help from videotape from the scene by other reporters.) They have the same gimmick of livening things up with a fluffy story at the end, but it's done well, even if it's often corny.

Plus, no American propaganda whitewashing. You see actual wounded soldiers, bodies, blood, the general dark side of the war, stuff not broadcast here.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 3:37am
Recently, a longtime NYC anchor woman suddenly right in mid sentence exclaimed to somebody off camera, "What the f**k are you doing???"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic