Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walmart goes Hyper -Ghetto for Black Friday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walmart goes Hyper -Ghetto for Black Friday
    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 9:38pm

Why don't they ever show the REAL customers of Walmart?

Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
Sponsored Links

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 7:36am
I'm proud to live 38 miles from the nearest Walmart. ClapClap Yes, my town of 20,000 (minus half of them in the summer when nearly all of the university goes back home) doesn't have one of those trashy stores. And yet there are some residents that travel the 38 miles to Walmart sometimes. We've got Fred Meyer for just about anything.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 1:47pm
I absolutely despise this loud garbage. This started airing LAST Sunday...a few ads, noticeable but whatever.

But yesterday...holy sh*t, it must have aired at least 15-20 times during the (pathetic) Eagles/Seahawks game.

Again last night during the 49ers game. But then mix that with the latest, very LOUD in your face iPhone 11 commercial. It's too much, I turned the damn TV off!

tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 2:18pm
choo CHOO--Ahp Oh RAY tah!
It makes shopping look like an Olympic event--as opposed to
merely DANGEROUS--if at Walmart
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by crainbebo crainbebo wrote:

I'm proud to live 38 miles from the nearest Walmart. ClapClap Yes, my town of 20,000 (minus half of them in the summer when nearly all of the university goes back home) doesn't have one of those trashy stores. And yet there are some residents that travel the 38 miles to Walmart sometimes. We've got Fred Meyer for just about anything.
There are two of them where I live - one on the north side of town and one on the south side.  I make a once yearly pilgrimage to Walmart because we have to buy my wife's grandmother a gift card for Christmas.  For some reason, that's what she asks for every year.  Before that, it had been at least ten years since I'd been in a Walmart.  My wife probably looks forward to it as much as I do, because she gets to listen to me complain about having to go in there for any reason.  It's the most wonderful time of the year.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 4:56pm
Give Walmart the finger before they give it to you! 

And if you are shopping on 'the other side ' of town...

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 6:09pm
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 6:15pm
LOLLOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by CaptainErnie CaptainErnie wrote:

Why don't they ever show the REAL customers of Walmart?

This garbage is truly an example of how trashy we've become as a society.

That this kind of ghetto-bitch screeching is being associated with Christmas, is just wrong.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 3:54am
I go to Walmart every 6 months to get 2 1 pound bags of frozen salmon 4 ounce vacuum packed fillets and 2 12 ounce bags of frozen shrimp. I wish they were available somewhere else.  
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Dunestrider View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dunestrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 5:12pm
I remember when Walmart used to portray themselves as an "aw, shucks, we're just a little Mom-and-Pop dime store" back in the late 90s. Does anybody here remember those commercials? Done in a folksy southern accent?

They also tried to portray themselves as a flag-waving "American Made" store, even though 90% of their stuff is made in China, even back then.

True story:
Between jobs, I took a job at Wal-mart in Michigan City, Indiana in 1995. I worked in the Electronics Department (which also handled film development).

Their process of film development and fulfillment at that time was horribly inefficient. A customer would drop off film, and we would log it in (by hand, in pen) into a notebook... envelope number and customer's name. When the developed film came back from the film developer, we had to manually look up each envelope in the notebook to mark that the photos have arrived and were available for pickup. This would take a LONG time to do (it would take one person at least a half-hour to do, every single day), because there would be hundreds of incoming photos/envelopes, and the entries in the notebook were not sorted. When the customer came to pick up their developed photos, they would show us the envelope number receipt. We would then look up this envelope number in the notebook and check it that the photos has been picked up. This could take several minutes to do per order, since you had to manually search page after page in the unsorted notebook entries to find the envelope number.

Although I was between jobs, I was coming from a computer programming/database background. I developed a computer program where the Walmart cashier would simply type in the envelope number, and the order would pop up on the screen. It would take, literally, seconds to do this (for incoming film from the customer, incoming developed photos from the developer, and outgoing photos to the customer). The local Walmart store in Michigan City loved it, it was a big, big time saver. And the computer this program ran on was just a PC that was a customer return.

Anyway, I sold this program to the local store for only $100. I called it "Photo Trax".

The store manager contacted the Wal-mart district manager, who contacted the stores in his district (about 20 stores, in the South Bend, Indiana area). They all loved it and bought it for $100 each.

So I mailed out fliers to all of the Wal-mart stores in the country (around 2,000 at the time), advertising my program and its benefits. This cost me a pretty penny to do this. I got about a dozen orders from Wal-mart stores around the country until...

...a few weeks later, I got a call on my answering machine... the message was from Wal-mart HQ in Bentonville, Arkansas. Woo-hoo! I was excited! Did they want my program for all 2,000 stores?!? WOO HOO! I'M RICH!!!

I called them back and they told me that I could not sell this to their stores, that they were working with a Japanese company to handle film development. I told them that they can tell their stores not to buy my program, but that they cannot tell me not to sell it.

My conclusion was that their "American Made" claim was all BS. They don't give a rat's ass about whether they are helping Americans, they only care about the bottom line: profits. But the customers just eat it up.

#MeNeither movement member
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 5:50pm
^ That's a lot to process!  So, you are from Indiana?

Most of my life was spent near Indy and a nice place called Lake Wawasee in the northern part of the state.

But, don't hold that against me!
Dunestrider View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunestrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 6:20pm
I'm originally from southern Indiana, but have been here in northwest Indiana since '78.

Yes, Lake Wawasee is indeed a nice place... largest natural lake in Indiana. Unless you count Lake Michigan (today, I live a little over a mile from Lake Michigan).
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 6:50pm
Cool, nice to meet you!
unwanted1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unwanted1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 3:47am
Black Friday...the same as American-African Friday, the same as American-African board, the same as American-African out, and the same as American-African tar and asphalt...all the same and more...Black!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 8:45am
I call it "Black Thanksgiving", as the big sales event is on Thanksgiving.

But I was just thinking---if only King Herod was better at his job, we wouldn't have to deal with all this Christmas nonsense. Work there has been hell this past month.

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:16pm
That little dance jig/epileptic seizure thing that they do at the beginning of this one makes me want to kick my TV.  It seems like commercials this holiday season are just louder and more in your face than ever before.  I hate this time of year.
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:30pm
Heavens, lets NOT forget those precious phones. Censored
True Lies View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote True Lies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 9:17pm

I wonder if it's politically correct to call it:

BLACK  Friday ????

I...………..AM NOT A CROOK."
True Lies View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote True Lies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 9:29pm

Call it:

OFF HUE Friday” ???

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by True Lies True Lies wrote:

I wonder if it's politically correct to call it:

BLACK  Friday ????

Originally posted by True Lies True Lies wrote:

Call it:

OFF HUE Friday” ???

The word "black" refers to the color of ink used by bookkeepers when revenue is on the + (profit) side, vs the red ink they use when revenue is on the - (loss) side.

Black Friday gets the name because it's the one day of the year that puts retailers "in the black" ink.

There is no negative connotation associated with black in this case.

C'mon, man!
True Lies View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote True Lies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:17pm
LOLOLOL.......................Better safe than sorry.................................

I'm sticking to "HUE"

tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by usmaak usmaak wrote:

That little dance jig/epileptic seizure thing that they do at the beginning of this one makes me want to kick my TV.  It seems like commercials this holiday season are just louder and more in your face than ever before.  I hate this time of year.

he said JIG...sorry thats kinda retro racist
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 1:03am
Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

he said JIG...sorry thats kinda retro racist

Yeah, but the fact that you knew that is also racist!!!! Shocked

LOL Wink

C'mon, man!
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 1:48am
And I literally didn't know that was racist. Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic