Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OVERUSING "QUEEN" (my 2nd rant...)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OVERUSING "QUEEN" (my 2nd rant...)
    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

when he became Dame Elton and essentially is now Liberace--also his voice dropped a few octaves--it was over for me BUT he is commendable for bringing Leon Russell out of a brief retirement b4 he died

True his voice is much lower than it used to be and he's not a young guy anymore but he's still a very capable songwriter. His last few studio albums, despite not much promotion or airplay, had some very good material on it. 2013's The Diving Board is a great example
Sponsored Links

tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:16pm
when he became Dame Elton and essentially is now Liberace--also his voice dropped a few octaves--it was over for me BUT he is commendable for bringing Leon Russell out of a brief retirement b4 he died
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by jnoble jnoble wrote:

It didn't get the attention that BR did but I don't think Rocketman bombed. I think it did pretty well. My only beef with the movie is that Taren Eggerton didn't quite look or sound enough like Elton to be convincing. And they also left a lot of important people and events out of his story. But I'm also a big EJ fan so my standards are higher than the casual fanSmile

I really don't like rock dramatizations much.  I'd much rather watch a good documentary.  Artists' personal lives are of no interest to me unless integral to the music.

In the case of EJ, a good 2-hour doc would suffice, and I'd probably only watch the first hour.  And it better be about the music.  I love the Madman, Honky Chateau, etc. era.  Anything after Yellow Brick Road, I have little interest in (though I loved the song Better Off Dead from Captain Fantastic, I think).  I don't care for his 80s schmaltz or his friendship with Princess Diana or his boyfriends or anything like that.

jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 4:07pm
It didn't get the attention that BR did but I don't think Rocketman bombed. I think it did pretty well. My only beef with the movie is that Taren Eggerton didn't quite look or sound enough like Elton to be convincing. And they also left a lot of important people and events out of his story. But I'm also a big EJ fan so my standards are higher than the casual fanSmile
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:07pm
First album, first song.  Like Black Sabbath's first, the best!

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 8:38am
but again..a LOT of bands made great or greater music--all depending on yr taste--
and they do NOT get all the play Queen receives OR the never ending endorsements

Queen is the JENNIFER GARNER of classic rock
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 5:57pm
No matter how gay he/they were, they made some great music!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 2:59pm
The only song of theirs that I ever really liked was Crazy Little Thing Called Love, which didn't even sound like a Queen song.

Love that crazy little lead guitar solo in the middle.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 11:11am
I was pretty much done with Queen by the mid-70s when I realized they weren't going to be coming out with anything like their first, second or third album ever again.

drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:15am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Guess it never bothered me because I've never been a fan of 'Queen', never owned one of their albums. Elton John? Didn't bother me for the same reason.
GrubHub? They should have stuck with the original music.

...or get ready for what's coming next...

OH SHOOT ME NOW @  She is giving the Orgasmic Female Spoon look at 20 seconds in,  after dancing around her apartment like a spastic because she clicked a few buttons to make a food delivery.  Does anyone ever call and DRIVE to pick up food anymore like the old days ?  It's what made it fun,  stealing the fries on the way home etc.....We are so lazy now.....  
drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:13am
Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

I agree COMPLETELY..its like i was telling people who were pushing Bohemian Rhapsody (the film) at me--I am waiting for the BTO or the Ted Nugent biopic..Queen was great but DAMN is all it takes is a case of AIDS to make one movie worthy? Crikey!! Their agent must be an aggressive type

Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile   Thank you @  Someone feels my PAINNNNNNNNNN 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:07pm
I agree COMPLETELY..its like i was telling people who were pushing Bohemian Rhapsody (the film) at me--I am waiting for the BTO or the Ted Nugent biopic..Queen was great but DAMN is all it takes is a case of AIDS to make one movie worthy? Crikey!! Their agent must be an aggressive type
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:41am
Guess it never bothered me because I've never been a fan of 'Queen', never owned one of their albums. Elton John? Didn't bother me for the same reason.
GrubHub? They should have stuck with the original music.

...or get ready for what's coming next...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:17am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

You hate the son of 'Mr. Robot'???

Honestly?  I've always thought he was a spastic looking actor who was lucky to get the Freddie roll,  I have seen a lot of QUeen bio's on various cable channels where there are much better looking actors who not only look like but talked like Freddie - including the over-bite.   

But my rant is more about cursing that movie because it's really forced me to hear Queen over and over and over again.  To the point where I change stations in the car if Queen comes on.  Maybe the people who write facebook posts about crying in the theater while watching this turned me off and contributed to my dislike.   The selling of Freddie crap on Facebook was too much as well.  This guy has been dead since 1991 - and all of a sudden all of these bandwagon fans have to let everyone know they listened to We Will Rock You back when it came out.   WHO CARES !  WE ALL DID !

Thank Heaven that the Elton John movie bombed out and didn't cause the same stir.  I guess that's because he is alive and still touring.   

Grub Hub can Want It all when I drop my trousers for them to kiss my A@@ Angry
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 6:10pm
You hate the son of 'Mr. Robot'???

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
drjimmy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drjimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 6:30am
You ever have one of those moments where you think to yourself "It's been very quiet lately - I guess the annoying neighbors are on vacation or moved"  - and 10 minutes later their annoying doberman is outside barking at your front door as you go out to get the mail, taking you by surprise and almost giving you a fatal cardiac event ??    Well,  I thought it was safe to watch TV again and not fast forward ,  but Noooooooooo - there it is  -----------  the never ending  "I WANT IT ALL"  Queen song with all these zombies staring at their phones ordering 9 course lunches because - well - because they CAN........

I curse the dude who made that movie.......I used to like Queen.    But like everything else,  they had to go and force me to hear Queen in every other ad ............  I am sorry Freddie .....I need time......I have to tuck you away for a while........the Rhapsody is a great song, but it's just too early for me.......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic