Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dunkin Donuts war on foreign culture

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Claud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dunkin Donuts war on foreign culture
    Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 5:02am
Originally posted by jppuertorico85 jppuertorico85 wrote:

I think this commercial is hysterical and here's why:  What IS the point of some of the names that starbucks comes up w/ for their drinks?  For instance, their new fruit smoothie is called a "vivano"  Um, why?  Where did they get that name from?  Is "vivano" even a real word in Italian or did just make up an italian sounding word to make a smoothie sound more exotic or more elitist?  Like, "I don't drink fruit smoothies, those are so parochial, I drink vivano...."

So I think its completely funny for DD to hit on them for that, because the majority of the names they come up w/ are NOT true French or Italian words but just made up words that kinda sound like they could be French or Italian.  And so the point is, what is the benefit of making up fake foreign words for your products?  Its silly!  And I'm a HUGE starbucks fan and I think its silly.  Although I do chuckle to myself when I'm in a starbucks and I hear someone order a "large" or a "small"...silly peasant...don't you know large is "venti" here and small is "tall"?!  It makes me feel so elite and snobby :)

Branding. And it has been pretty effective to a certain extent. Some people hate it, some people go by it, some cafes even copy this system. Argue all you want but it has become well-known.

DD isn't attacking starbucks because there exists a bunch of good-willed, sincere people in the company that want to bring the 'goodness' back into the coffee culture. No. They are simply teh competitor and their agenda should be crystal clear. People complain when Starbucks use French/Italian words. People complain when they use made-up words. Erm... So what do you want? At least they're trying to make it a little more interesting. Again, it's branding, for commercial purposes.

As for DD, I think the masterminds behind their commercials are both ingenius and misinformed. Their stand against the use of 'foreign' words is ironicly overthrown by their naming their coffe 'latte'. I suppose nobody would really just go and order 'milk'? Right? However, the fact that this loosely defined notion did its magic and pushed through to the American public is somewhat amusing... and yet pretty sad. I can't decide. Did the commercial mistook the public as ignorant? or is their target audience really this ill-informed?

P.S. I don't enjoy SB or DD as they both commonly lack the skills to extract a perfect espresso. Though if I had to choose, I'd pick starbucks because their overdosage of sweetness is somewhat less severe. Besides I have yet to see one tacky, low-class and whiney commercial that attacks a competitor by Starbucks yet. DD on the other hand erg... well if it works it works... /shrug.
Sponsored Links

pfmiller View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2008 at 2:29am
Quote I think this commercial is hysterical and here's why:  What IS the point of some of the names that starbucks comes up w/ for their drinks?

I'm guessing trademarkability is why they come up with these silly names.
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

I think people are reading way too much in this commercial in itself. All it says that Dunkin Donuts one in a national taste test in comparison to Starbucks, there's no mention of making fun of Starbucks anywhere. Now that if your talking about that one "frittalian" ad from a couple years back, that one was definately making fun of Starbucks,and isn't that one with the "Deici" argument one making fun of them as well? 

in fact WHO CARES, this is so damn trivial.

that's how I took this commercial--not "anti-foreign" but anti-"foreign"--you know, made up words that sound foreign to help justify $6 for a cup of friggin coffee.

And for the record, I also prefer DD over Starbucks, but many others that are better than both of them.
birdman View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 5:24pm
Does anyone else find it amusing that they spend the whole commercial bashing "Fritalian," then go on to advertise the Dunkin Donuts........ latte? If I were reading that word for the first time, I'd probably pronounce it "lat" or "latty."

I do agree with mocking the stupid size names at Starbucks though, as addressed in this scene from Role Models.

Small/medium/large, while more helpful, aren't necessarily clearer. A few years ago, Wendy's moved everything down a size, so what used to be a large fry is now a medium. If you used to order medium, as I did, you'll end up with twice as many fries. Now I feel stupid ordering a "small" meal, but that's what they call it. At any other similar restaurant, that amount of food is called a medium.

At my favorite single-location independent coffee shop, you simply order by volume: "I'll have a 12 ounce coffee to go, please." No confusion necessary, and you know exactly what you're getting.

-birdman
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 11:14pm

The only time I've ever had Starbucks coffee was once while I was grocery shopping they were handing out free samples that were made from the bagged stuff you can buy there.

I gotta say, it was really good, but damned if I'm gonna pay 4 or 5 bucks for a cup of coffee.

And people complain because they can't make ends meet nowadays.

Quit spending 25 or 30 bucks a week on coffee, idiots.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 10:07pm

I don't drink coffee.  I get my caffeine in pill form.  Nevertheless, I've gone to Starbucks for this frozen vanilla drink they sell that's sooooo friggin' good.

jppuertorico85 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

...Although I do chuckle to myself when I'm in a starbucks and I hear someone order a "large" or a "small"...silly peasant...don't you know large is "venti" here and small is "tall"?!  It makes me feel so elite and snobby :)

Ha.  I'm the one that orders a medium, at Starbucks.  I don't care about their pretentious terms LOL

Actually, given my druthers, I'd go to DD instead.  If the two were right next door to each other, I'd get coffee at DD.  So I can order a frickin' MEDIUM.

LOL...viva la revolucion!!  You keep ordering your medium at starbucks girl! lol
Is visa really the only card accepted at [INSERT ANY SPORTING EVENT]???
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 6:04pm

...Although I do chuckle to myself when I'm in a starbucks and I hear someone order a "large" or a "small"...silly peasant...don't you know large is "venti" here and small is "tall"?!  It makes me feel so elite and snobby :)

Ha.  I'm the one that orders a medium, at Starbucks.  I don't care about their pretentious terms LOL

Actually, given my druthers, I'd go to DD instead.  If the two were right next door to each other, I'd get coffee at DD.  So I can order a frickin' MEDIUM.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
jppuertorico85 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by pinkelephant pinkelephant wrote:

like this commercial. "my mouth cannot form these words!" what are you, dyslexic, is it that hard to say frappacino. It just presents america as this lazy, ignorant, affraid of culture country.
and to the genious that made this commercial, where do you thing the word latte came from. Italian! or perhaps frittalian.

I think this commercial is hysterical and here's why:  What IS the point of some of the names that starbucks comes up w/ for their drinks?  For instance, their new fruit smoothie is called a "vivano"  Um, why?  Where did they get that name from?  Is "vivano" even a real word in Italian or did just make up an italian sounding word to make a smoothie sound more exotic or more elitist?  Like, "I don't drink fruit smoothies, those are so parochial, I drink vivano...."

So I think its completely funny for DD to hit on them for that, because the majority of the names they come up w/ are NOT true French or Italian words but just made up words that kinda sound like they could be French or Italian.  And so the point is, what is the benefit of making up fake foreign words for your products?  Its silly!  And I'm a HUGE starbucks fan and I think its silly.  Although I do chuckle to myself when I'm in a starbucks and I hear someone order a "large" or a "small"...silly peasant...don't you know large is "venti" here and small is "tall"?!  It makes me feel so elite and snobby :)
Is visa really the only card accepted at [INSERT ANY SPORTING EVENT]???
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 6:26am

pinkelephant, when you drink too much while posting, do you have hallucinations of little pink...people?LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2008 at 10:32pm
If you wanna make a good cuppa java at home, getcha a can-o this stuff...

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 10:51pm
I think people are reading way too much in this commercial in itself. All it says that Dunkin Donuts one in a national taste test in comparison to Starbucks, there's no mention of making fun of Starbucks anywhere. Now that if your talking about that one "frittalian" ad from a couple years back, that one was definately making fun of Starbucks,and isn't that one with the "Deici" argument one making fun of them as well? 

in fact WHO CARES, this is so damn trivial.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 10:00pm
Starbucks taste like crap to me.  The only good drink of theirs is the Hot Chocolate.  Dunkin Donuts, does taste a lot better.  But I usually make my own.
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 8:29pm
I hate the practice of trashing foreign cultures in general.    What the hell is wrong with the coffee?   Does the fact it has an odd, foreign sounding name make it taste any different?   It's bordering on being as bad as the "French bashing" that occurred a few years back.    I HATED that and proudly ordered my FRENCH Toast!!!   And what's even worse is when beautiful, sophisticated, refined cultures are being dogged on by fat, beer drinking, ATV driving rednecks in larry the cable guy cutoff shirts.   Are they really in any position to be trashing other people?   Same goes for Dunkin Donuts.  

Here, we have a DD that's located next to the Circle K.    It's pretty much a hole with  awful employees.    Compared to Starbucks, two on campus, one at the mall.   Much better.

I think all the "Starbucks bashing" is due to the fact people are jealous they didn't invent selling ground beans for $5-$6 a cup!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 5:28pm

Sounds less like a war on foreign culture than it is a war on pretentiousness.  Kind of akin to mocking Madonna when she adopted that British accent (which I'm assuming she's now abandoned).

britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 5:20pm

rotflmao....seriously. 

seriously.

ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 5:11pm
Hey pinkelephant. I love your spelling. It's hysterical.
I had a spell-check installed... in my brain. It's called school.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 1:01pm
You have to install something in order for that button to work.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
pcgh View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 5:08am

My computer does not have the spell check option, sue me.

I don't know about you, but when I am drafting a message/reply in the forum, there's a little spell check button in the top left corner just above the text box area. Right there on the website, so it's not a matter of being "on" my computer or not.
That's a bleepin' dead alien body if I ever bleepin' saw one.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008 at 4:01am

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL    
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
pinkelephant View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkelephant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008 at 3:46am

Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008 at 3:38am

like this commercial. "my mouth cannot form these words!" what are you, dyslexic, is it that hard to say frappacino. It just presents america as this lazy, ignorant, affraid of culture country.

and to the genious that made this commercial, where do you thing the word latte came from. Italian! or perhaps frittalian.

Shocked    Menue....cheeper....frappacino.....genious.....affraid......where  do you thing.....        Is it "THAT HARD" ( to quote you..)   to edit your posts and to check your spelling?  Huh?   Wink
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkelephant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008 at 3:15am

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008 at 3:12am
I think they are implying that  most Dunkin donuts are ran by immigrants
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkelephant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008 at 3:06am
I have been in a dunkin donuts and I do know its cheeper, but these adds are just silly. They don't even say anything about price, they just try to appeal to peoples fear of "unamerican" things. It's like, if you like starbucks, or you like things that they decide are too sophisticated, you must not be a hard working american.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic