Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Take care everyone!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 6:16am
I wasn't even thinking about the injury when I made the remark, LOL1955.  I just thought it sounded good. 

Nevertheless, his injury doesn't excuse him.  There's nothing preventing him from looking back at something he had just written, and editing it.  If he can type the word, he can delete it.  Jimmy himself has said that the injury mainly affects his spelling and syntax and "eloquence".  Calling someone a name has nothing to do with eloquence.  It has to do with judgement.  If he doesn't exercise judgement, he can't expect others to exercise theirs.  There's just so many times a person can be slapped before they slap back.  In fact, I had never thrown a first punch.

So, I actually do think my comment was called for.  It might've been beneath me, but it wasn't undeserved.  I, in fact, had warned him that if he continued to hurl personal insults at me, that he can expect the same in return.  I simply kept my word.

I do this sort of thing rarely, LOL.  I've always been seen as real even-keeled.  Thus, people I know who've seen it happen, have referred to it as "the sting of the Scorpion".  Maybe that can be my reason.

Sponsored Links

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 7:08am

I was unaware of Jimmy's situation. I'd never noticed any spelling or grammatical mistakes. His posts were reasonably eloquent, but on occasion, he sounded like he had a real bug up his ass, which sometimes diminished the point he wanted to make.

Sounds like he could use the break.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 7:42am
I didn't know about Jimmy's head injury, either.  In the 9/11 thread, he talked about going through physical therapy for an accident, but he wasn't specific.  I hope he's okay.
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 9:04am
I find it funny that the "Scorpion" has never "stung" Nathan, who started a thread about him and has called him a liar and other not so nice things......but then again, he wouldn't want to "sting" the person who can ban him.  The "Scorpion" can control his stinger.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 11:27am
I was unaware of Jimmy's medical condition.

That being said, with the exception of Jimmy, I find it somewhat manipulitive when people make a big thing about leaving the board because they were offended in some way.

Not to say that taking a break is a bad thing when arguments get too hot.  I've done that myself a couple of times.  However I have never made a formal announcement to that effect.  I just did it. 

Then came back when I felt it was right.  That's mostly because there is stuff here that's too good to not put in my two cents.

One of the things I like about this group is that it is very diverse.  I like knowing that there are even some that are from other countries.  It makes it so much more interesting.

The down side of that is that can be that there are people that think you are wrong about your view point.  It's natural to want people that you like to agree with you.  Here, with so much diversity, that is unlikely to be the case all the time.

So having said that here are some things I try to keep in mind.

1. People will sometimes disagree with my point of view.
2. People will make fun of me if I misspell stuff.
3. People will make fun of me for grammatical errors.
4. People will hate commercials I like.
5. People will like commercials I hate.
6. People will want me to like their candidate.
7. People will hate a candidate I like.
8. and so on and so forth

As long as there are people in it, it will never be exactly what on individual thinks is perfect.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 2:22pm
Oh please come back, Jimmy!

Does anyone recall the name of Jimmy's restaurant? I have a 4 day weekend coming up - maybe I can pop in on the dude and just say HI from his CIH family!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by MrsHill MrsHill wrote:

I find it funny that the "Scorpion" has never "stung" Nathan, who started a thread about him and has called him a liar and other not so nice things......but then again, he wouldn't want to "sting" the person who can ban him.  The "Scorpion" can control his stinger.

By the same token, in the thread where he (Jimmy) called me a creep for having made the point that I did, he hadn't attacked another poster who---immediately before me---said the same thing as I did.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 2:32pm
RE: announcing that you're leaving something for good, I think James Bond said it best.... "Never Say Never Again."

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 2:48pm
It's kind of a double-edged sword.  If you don't let people know you're leaving, you might have people thinking the worst.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 2:54pm
I would think announcing that you're taking a hiatus would be the wiser thing.

But when you're just pissed off & disgusted with a particular situation, your gut is urging you to tell everyone sionara & walk out.

Just more satisfying than saying I'm taking a break.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 3:14pm
Yeah.  A casual mention seems the best way to do it.  Better than no mention at all.  I always wonder when long-time regular members just leave us hanging.  Of course, that's their right...but it would be nice to know they're not dead.

britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 3:27pm
I would just rather see people divert their attention to other threads.  And stay away from the ones that tend to get you riled up.  Just stick to what brought you to the site originally. 
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 3:40pm
Says the girl who disappears for months at a time without a word.... Cry Wink

C'mon, man!
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 3:47pm

Aww....whaddya miss me Jimbo when I go away?????Big%20smile

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 3:59pm
We're at least used to you leaving for periods, Brita.  We know you'll be back.  However, if you were gone for let's say a year...that's when we'd worry.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 4:02pm
People who've left and (as far as I know) never informed us, so we don't even know if they left because they perhaps croaked:

SmartBlonde
Startariot
Sanguinivorous
Suenewtotx

Any others?

edit:  I now see that Sue sometimes posts.  I guess I just haven't seen them.  Thanks for not being dead, Sue!  Thumbs%20Up
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 4:07pm
Aww. There are a few I wonder about.  Remember Banquo and TripleJ?  And 0000, although I think he posted a while back.  There are def a few memorable members that have vanished.  Hope they didn't go the way of Jimmy Hoffa.  Tongue

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 4:11pm
Pssst!!  Brita!  0000 is now Musicman.  Took me a while to get used to that, too...even though it says so right underneath his avatar.  I remember him saying he never liked 0000 to begin with, but just used it to make a comment or two here.  Never expected to stay, I guess.  Thousands of posts later....

britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 4:19pm

Well, what do you know.  thanks for clearing that up.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by LOL1955 LOL1955 wrote:

And I must:   On the old forum, Jimmy also shared with us the story of the traumatic brain injury he suffered in an accident in 2001.  I was a part of that discussion, as was Thor.  The revelation was made in response to comments quite similar to the Oxford comments above and, when he learned of Jimmy's injury, In fact, Thor's comments were quite conciliatory.  Which makes it all the more difficult for me to understand why Thor would choose to (a) make the education inferences again, and (b) throw in an unkind remark about lobotomies.

I realize Jimmy has taken you on, but honestly, Thor:  That lobotomy remark was simply uncalled for and beneath you.

I agree.

Wow Thor that was you? wow what a way to act like an asshole.

THINK before you type.

everybody.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 4:23pm
You too, Ad.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 4:25pm
Whatever happened to theawalkingdude?  or BonosGal (who happens to have a birthday today?) or theGreatKen?

We lose some good posters and yet, get freaking bombarded by smokefilledtwit.

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 4:31pm
Creamlady...where ARE you???LOL
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Irishman Irishman wrote:

Creamlady...where ARE you???LOL

LOLLOLLOL Was that another alias for smokey? or was that a completely different oddball? I remmeber her screaming on the boards. Deinitely a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by britastar britastar wrote:

Aww. There are a few I wonder about.  Remember Banquo and TripleJ?  And 0000, although I think he posted a while back.  There are def a few memorable members that have vanished.  Hope they didn't go the way of Jimmy Hoffa.  Tongue

I think I saw Banquo logged on the other night....I'll have to check.

Yep, yesterday.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic