Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Volvo XC90 ad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Volvo XC90 ad
    Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 1:29am

Every time I hear this commercial it feels like an ice pick being jabbed into my ears. 
Sponsored Links

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by atikovi atikovi wrote:

Every time I hear this commercial it feels like an ice pick being jabbed into my ears. 
Actual pain is usually caused by a high decibel level. It must be the high frequency in this case.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:05pm
Actually, the operatic tone of the commercial is more impressive than anything else Volvo is baiting the consumer with...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Actually, the operatic tone of the commercial is more impressive than anything else Volvo is baiting the consumer with...

Especially not its reliability, considering it just got the coveted award of "least reliable" vehicle by Consumer Reports.  Wasn't reliability always Volvo's main attraction?

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Especially not its reliability, considering it just got the coveted award of "least reliable" vehicle by Consumer Reports.  Wasn't reliability always Volvo's main attraction?

That was very much the case years back - even my brother had a Volvo with over 400,000 miles on it...and he only got rid of it because it didn't have air conditioning and, like so many other old Volvos, just succumbed to 'body rot' (the car still ran great, but loud). 
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 7:13pm
All this stupid commercial proves is that the car has a nice sound system. The rest of the car is a piece of !)@! that they don't even mention anything about how it runs and handles.

In fact, all car commercials today do is show pictures of a car. They don't tell you jack about gas mileage, horse power, etc. anymore.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

They don't tell you jack about gas mileage, horse power, etc. anymore.

The younger people these days don't give jack about that stuff, just how well it connects to their phone.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 9:30pm

The younger people these days don't give jack about that stuff, just how well it connects to their phone.

True! And what a fine selling point to plunk down $45,000
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 10:03pm

True! And what a fine selling point to plunk down $45,000
And the kids these days have no problem tossing numbers like that around with little-to-no concept of what that means or takes to acquire through honest sweat and hard labor. Then again, nobody told them there are little 'extras' such as 'property taxes', 'yearly inspection and registration'. and - oh yea - INSURANCE. Full coverage if the car isn't paid off.
I guess as long as the babies don't need anything and the baby mamas can lean on local social services and their own families, it's all good.
HatyMcHater View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatyMcHater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 11:30pm

Thank you. Same for me.

The only point of the singing was to show off how high her voice is. But its sound is awful. If only Volvo had instead dedicated the $ they are spending showing this horrible ad a zillion times a day, on improving the reliability of the car...
jon1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 4:24am

The problem is that she is awful. I'm an opera fan, and I absolutely hate the way she sings this. Jarring. 

And all of a sudden it feels like this commercial is on thousands of times in a day. Ugh. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by jon1 jon1 wrote:

The problem is that she is awful. I'm an opera fan, and I absolutely hate the way she sings this. Jarring. 

And all of a sudden it feels like this commercial is on thousands of times in a day. Ugh. 
Wink I would think that Mozart piece (Queen of the Night Aria) is hard for about anyone...maybe her rendition is a little better, here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/die-zauberfl%C3%B6te-magic-flute-k-620-aria-queen-night/295173152?i=295173160&ign-mpt=uo%3D
...or better yet, 'go for the pros':

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I remember the joke regarding the vintage 9 out of 10 Volvos sold are still on the road commercial being that the breakdown lane is technically part of the road.Wink
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 6:34pm
I just searched for the video PaW posted....I'd do both the mom and the daughter. Then, I would be all clogged up with culture.  I love the vulva!  Tongue
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 1:59am

I absolutely love this ad, because I love the singing. That piece of music is from Mozart's opera "The Magic Flute". When it's performed well, it's breathtaking. The lovely young lady singing in this ad is absolutely pitch perfect!
One man gathers what another man spills
Zosiee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zosiee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 7:48am
Every time I hear that woman screeching I lunge for the mute button.
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 2:35pm
I can't take this ad, it's STILL airing. One good thing about it, there is a quiet pause of silence before she starts singing - just enough time to hit MUTE.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic