Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

US Cellular adverts are AWFUL!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Cellular adverts are AWFUL!
    Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 11:51pm
I am amazed* that nobody beat me to the punch on CIH regarding these abominations:

I barely started writing this when the newest one (below) invaded my space:

These commercials make Sesame Street seem like a meeting of Nobel laureates. I just wanna SCREAM when they come on.

* Unlike half the sh** advertised as "amazing," this is amazing.
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!
Sponsored Links

Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Dr. Dan Dr. Dan wrote:

I am amazed* that nobody beat me to the punch on CIH regarding these abominations:

On second thought, there are so many subjects, like Depends, prescription drugs, Progressive Insurance, to muscle aside US Cellular.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 1:14am
The U.S. Cellular ads always seem to feature former "yuppies" in their elderly years. Most of them are caucasian, and the men ALWAYS have a full head of hair.
I am of "that" age, but I wasn't a "yuppie" (I have always been a blue collar worker, even though my collar was a white chef coat...lol). 
My hairline receded several years ago, what's remaining is grey.
I have a mobile phone, but I will never subscribe to this company.....they don't focus their ads on me, or my multi-cultural friends!

One man gathers what another man spills
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 7:01am
I generally hate all cell phone advertisements, they make my blood boil.  I like the one posted by Dr. Dan up above...sheep on their heads. Um, generally people roped into the cell phones are sheep. They okay for convenience but I'm absolutely sick and tired of seeing people in the store literally holding them out for one and all to see like they're so hip executive or something. I'm not impressed because you have one. I'd be more impressed if you could put it away and act like human beings from yesteryear.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 6:17pm
I really hate the roped in and this 'CHIP' ad for US Cellular. The sheep commercial is amusing since I have a family member that raises sheep on her farm...too bad a baby goat didn't make a cameo!
As for Chip, I wish I could throw him off my arm and into a garbage can! AngryAngry

Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 11:47pm
What do you get when you cross a sheep with a person? Sheeple - the kind of organism that is impressed by adverts like these.
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 12:49am
What really annoys me in these commercials is when they say "get iPhone 8" instead of "get an iPhone 8" and "on us" instead of that wonderful word "free."  Paul from whatever company he represents nowadays says the same thing, calling the cell phone you supposedly get for free just "Name of Phone" instead of "a Name of Phone."

That really annoys the hell out of me.

When we go to Paris, we want to see The Eiffel Tower, not 
let's go see Eiffel Tower, because there is only one.

Angry
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 1:38am
Confused...and to think I was convinced US Cell went out of business in the last year...well, they're on their way - or Walmart will buy and incorporate them
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
!Tommy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote !Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 2:44am
Originally posted by crainbebo crainbebo wrote:

I really hate the roped in and this 'CHIP' ad for US Cellular. The sheep commercial is amusing since I have a family member that raises sheep on her farm...too bad a baby goat didn't make a cameo!
As for Chip, I wish I could throw him off my arm and into a garbage can! AngryAngry

Yep, he looks pretty damn simple minded.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Dr. Dan Dr. Dan wrote:

I barely started writing this when the newest one (below) invaded my space:

These commercials make Sesame Street seem like a meeting of Nobel laureates. I just wanna SCREAM when they come on.

That spokesperson for US Cellular bugs the crap out of me.  Angry  When I'm really bored, I'll go to YouTube for my entertainment.

If we ever get another dog, it might be a Husky.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:17pm
Ooops
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

What really annoys me in these commercials is when they say "get iPhone 8" instead of "get an iPhone 8" and "on us" instead of that wonderful word "free."  Paul from whatever company he represents nowadays says the same thing, calling the cell phone you supposedly get for free just "Name of Phone" instead of "a Name of Phone."

That really annoys the hell out of me.

When we go to Paris, we want to see The Eiffel Tower, not 
let's go see Eiffel Tower, because there is only one.

Angry

I still can't come to grips with The Ukraine now being called simply "Ukraine".  When the hell did that happen?  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I still can't come to grips with The Ukraine now being called simply "Ukraine".  When the hell did that happen?  LOL

From Time Magazine:

Ukraine, Not the Ukraine: The Significance of Three Little Letters <-- link

U.S. President Barack Obama stood at a local elementary school in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday to tout his new budget proposal. But after his opening remarks, the first question was inevitably about foreign affairs. In response to a reporter who asked about Russia’s Vladimir Putin, Obama eventually said this: “It is important that Congress stand with us. I don’t doubt the bipartisan concern that’s been expressed about the situation in the Ukraine.”

It’s likely that any Ukrainian Americans tuned to C-SPAN at that particular moment cringed, not at the prospect of the country’s salvation coming from Congress’s bipartisan expressions — unsettling though that thought may be — but from three little letters: the.

“Ukraine is a country,” says William Taylor, who served as the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine from 2006 to 2009. “The Ukraine is the way the Russians referred to that part of the country during Soviet times … Now that it is a country, a nation, and a recognized state, it is just Ukraine. And it is incorrect to refer to the Ukraine, even though a lot of people do it.”

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 2:59pm
Should I start calling the Netherlands simply Netherlands?  

I guess I could avoid that minefield entirely and just call it Holland.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

From Time Magazine:

Ukraine, Not the Ukraine: The Significance of Three Little Letters <-- link

U.S. President Barack Obama stood at a local elementary school in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday to tout his new budget proposal. But after his opening remarks, the first question was inevitably about foreign affairs. In response to a reporter who asked about Russia’s Vladimir Putin, Obama eventually said this: “It is important that Congress stand with us. I don’t doubt the bipartisan concern that’s been expressed about the situation in the Ukraine.”

It’s likely that any Ukrainian Americans tuned to C-SPAN at that particular moment cringed, not at the prospect of the country’s salvation coming from Congress’s bipartisan expressions — unsettling though that thought may be — but from three little letters: the.

“Ukraine is a country,” says William Taylor, who served as the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine from 2006 to 2009. “The Ukraine is the way the Russians referred to that part of the country during Soviet times … Now that it is a country, a nation, and a recognized state, it is just Ukraine. And it is incorrect to refer to the Ukraine, even though a lot of people do it.”

You beat me to it. I was corrected by a Ukrainian female and the reason explained in 1998.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 4:08pm
Confused^^^US Cellular works in The Ukraine or Netherlands (or, may I say, The Land of the Dykes, Holland)?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 4:35pm

Should I start calling the Netherlands simply Netherlands?  

I guess I could avoid that minefield entirely and just call it Holland.

The Netherlands simply means "The Lowlands" for obvious reasons. North Holland and South Holland are West coast provinces of The Netherlands. When I asked my friend Herholdt who was a Dutch soldier serving in Bosnia where he lived in Holland he "splained" that he lived in a different province. Your safer sticking with The Netherlands.Wink 
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Confused^^^US Cellular works in The Ukraine or Netherlands (or, may I say, The Land of the Dykes, Holland)?
Now I'm wondering if my Dutch friend Herholdt ever stuck his finger in a 'Dyke'.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic