Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs to Hate/Make You Cry/Invoke Depression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:01am
OK, I cave.

But there are plenty of sad punk songs.

This one's sung by Exene of X.  It's about the death of her sister, who was killed in a car crash on her way to an X record release party.

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Not only that, no offense old buddy, Punk Rock just didn't make a lot of love songs.

Do you think punk rock is all I've ever listened to?  Even in the late 70s, it was maybe a quarter of what I listened to.

And if you knew the genre, you'd know that the Ramones had plenty of love songs.

Yes, there were some punk love sings.

I seem to remember one called "I Wanna Smash Your Face With My Love" and I think I heard one called "My Love Is Gonna Kill Your Family". And who can forget "Love Machine Gun" and "If You Love Me Stomp My Face"?

All classic punk love songs!!!

My fave might be 7-11.

Oncoming car run outta control
It crushed my baby and it crushed my soul

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 2:06pm
That 7-11 song was based on a true story.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 5:45pm
"Ballad of Curtis Lowe" Lynard Skynard, "Southern Cross" Crosby, Stills, and Nash, "Rockin' in the Free World" Neil Young.
"One more kid who will never go to school, Never get to fall in love, never get to be cool".Cry
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:20pm
I think it's safe to say that PaW has a pretty successful music thread going here. Thumbs Up

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:33pm
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:32pm

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:24pm

I didn't know that.  I know that another song from the same album, The KKK Took My Baby Away, was supposedly about Johnny stealing Joey's girlfriend. 

Johnny was "the KKK" because of his conservative views.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:57pm

I didn't know that.  I know that another song from the same album, The KKK Took My Baby Away, was supposedly about Johnny stealing Joe's girlfriend. 
Johnny was "the KKK" because of his conservative views.  LOL

Being the die-hard Ramones fan/trivia-meister that you are, you're supposed to know that what I said about their 7 Eleven song being based on a true story, has only about a 50/50 chance at best of being true itself.

Edit: While looking up the lyrics and video of the song I did read that a good bit of the behind the scenes tension and discord within the band while making the album both of those songs appeared on, was due to what you said about the girlfriend, but what I read said it was the one guy's EX girlfriend the other one started dating.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:01pm
Here's another sad song.  It's about an Indian statue in one store falling in love with the female Indian statue in a store across the street.  But his "heart is made of knotty pine" and he's unable to let her know.  Then the female Indian is bought and Kawliga's heart is broken.  I'll post the Residents' version rather than the more famous Hank Williams version because their version is the first time I paid attention to the lyrics.

Also (useless trivia alert!!), the Residents used the bassline from MJ's Billy Jean just because Hank Williams' wife was named Billy Jean.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:07pm

Edit: While looking up the lyrics and video of the song I did read that a good bit of the behind the scenes tension and discord within the band while making the album both of those songs appeared on, was due to what you said about the girlfriend, but what I read said it was the one guy's EX girlfriend the other one started dating.

Then Joey was just being a little bitch.

But yeah, I've said here before that I've rarely ever paid much attention to the internal relations in a band.  I just never cared that much which Papa was dating which Mama.

It's kind of a bummer that the Ramones all hated each other, but of little importance to me.  A little maybe, but not much.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:09pm

Here's another sad song.  It's about an Indian statue in one store falling in love with the female Indian statue in a store across the street.  But his "heart is made of knotty pine" and he's unable to let her know.  Then the female Indian is bought and Kawliga's heart is broken.  I'll post the Residents' version rather than the more famous Hank Williams version because their version is the first time I paid attention to the lyrics.

Also (useless trivia alert!!), the Residents used the bassline from MJ's Billy Jean just because Hank Williams' wife was named Billy Jean.

Sounds like No Doubt's "Hella Good".

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:13pm
Yes, very similar, including the sort of dissonant synth thing!  Maybe that's why I like the song.  Or maybe it's just that I'm in love with Gwen Stefani.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:14pm

Yeah, I've said here before that I've rarely ever paid much attention to the internal relations in a band.  I just never cared that much which Papa was dating which Mama.

It's kind of a bummer that the Ramones all hated each other, but of little importance to me.  A little maybe, but not much.

Well, you also should keep in mind that a lot of the supposed "hatred" might have been blown a bit out of proportion by fan inuendo, rumor and gossip, and they might have just let it continue because it helped add to the aura and mystique surrounding the band.

Especially them being a punk band.

In reality, they might have been tight as ticks.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:28pm
Now that they're all dead, we may never know.

Actually, the second drummer is still alive.  But all the original members---gone.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:30pm
The punk life is a short life.

C'mon, man!
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 1:13am
Bruno Mars song,"When I Was Your Man," is pretty depressing and heartfelt. He truly sounds sad in this song and even mimicks crying in the song about realizing your selfish personality drove away a wonderful girlfriend who dumped you because of your selfish personality and you wish you could have her back and actually be a good boyfriend this time but it is too late considering she now has a new boyfriend.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 1:18am

To be fair, Billy Idol is still alive and he was one of the punkiest Rock Stars around in his younger days! Recently, he did an interview in his 50's saying something like, "I am no longer the wild, crazy, rebellious Hellion I was in my 20's. I am now a Grandfather in my 50's and live my life a lot more quietly than I did 30 years ago!"
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 5:13pm
I dunno if this song is sad as I haven't read the lyrics.  But it sure sounds like it might be.  What I'm loving, though, is that guitar that comes in at around 2:00.  Just heard it on the radio a little while ago.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

To be fair, Billy Idol is still alive and he was one of the punkiest Rock Stars around in his younger days! Recently, he did an interview in his 50's saying something like, "I am no longer the wild, crazy, rebellious Hellion I was in my 20's. I am now a Grandfather in my 50's and live my life a lot more quietly than I did 30 years ago!"

Billy Idol was pop punk.  Good, but fairly mild.

Now this guy---Sparky, from Demented Are Go---probably shouldn't be alive.  He's in his 60s:

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 5:25pm

I dunno if this song is sad as I haven't read the lyrics.  But it sure sounds like it might be.  What I'm loving, though, is that guitar that comes in at around 2:00.  Just heard it on the radio a little while ago.

Sounded like a Slide Guitar. Kind of a country twang.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 5:27pm

Originally posted by Donathan Donathan wrote:

Now this guy---Sparky, from Demented Are Go---probably shouldn't be alive.  He's in his 60s:

LOLLOL
 Holy Sh*t!!  Talk about shock value.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 5:28pm

OUCH!!!!!

It hurts just looking at that guy!!!!

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

LOLLOL
 Holy Sh*t!!  Talk about shock value.

The rest of the band doesn't look any better...

The guitar player is the closest to "normal" looking one of them.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 5:53pm
LOL

Yeah!  Normal is a perception.  Like this is a little more normal? Confused

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic