Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs to Hate/Make You Cry/Invoke Depression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 6:25pm

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:49pm
ConfusedA wonderful album ('So') best listened to alone, but probably will leave one feeling uncomfortable.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:24pm
^ I love that guy!

How could I forget Jeff Beck?  This song doesn't even need vocals.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:32pm
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 7:05pm
A song that was written and recorded by JT for a Broadway play that was based on the book by Studs Terkel titled "Working", which was about working people and all the various kinds of jobs they work at.

I guess one of the jobs was working in a textile mill in Massachusetts.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:16pm
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:35pm
Do these songs actually make any of you cry?  LOL

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:04am

There are gurlz and WallyWusses on this board, too...some of them probably tear up easier than they cheer up

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Do these songs actually make any of you cry?  LOL

Well, the thread title doesn't just say "cry", does it?

But since you asked, the JT song made me get a tad misty a few times back when it was first released as did the Linda Ronstadt songs when I used to listen to them as a young guy who recently went through a rough breakup with a girl I had been very close to for fairly long time.

Why?

Are we not up to your standards of manliness?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:55am
^  The songs I referred to earlier actually do upset me---to the point that I turn them off when I hear them, and I certainly wouldn't even post them.  I just don't see some of the songs listed in this thread as being such tear-jerkers.  Sad, perhaps---but not enough to cause any such strong reactions.

I did, however, forget to mention Shannon by Henry Gross.  When I realized it was about a dog being washed out to sea---Cry.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:20pm

^  The songs I referred to earlier actually do upset me---to the point that I turn them off when I hear them, and I certainly wouldn't even post them.  I just don't see some of the songs listed in this thread as being such tear-jerkers.  Sad, perhaps---but not enough to cause any such strong reactions.

I did, however, forget to mention Shannon by Henry Gross.  When I realized it was about a dog being washed out to sea---Cry.

Sometimes a sad song will trigger a psychotic break and the next thing you know, we have NEWS again.
~~~
Now, about 'Shannon'. If the dog was already dead what's the big deal?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 3:28pm

I think you're just taking the thread title a bit too literally.

Most of the songs were probably posted only because of their sad or depressing themes, not because they make us sit and bawl our eyes out.

That's why I posted the ones I did anyway, although in years past there might have been a time or two I got ever so slightly verklempt listening some of them.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 6:15pm
Walmart, has drained all of Thor's emotion. Not only that, no offense old buddy, Punk Rock just didn't make a lot of love songs.  And, you have to have been in love...Once, twice, three times the- Ahem. You have to get a broken heart, when these songs are popular, or not.  I'm a broken down old man now, I was pretty good at playing the game.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Now, about 'Shannon'. If the dog was already dead what's the big deal?

I imagine Shannon having been swept out to sea while retrieving a stick his owner threw.  But I think the song was actually about Carl Wilson's dog which had recently gotten hit by a car.  Henry Gross might've taken some liberties with the story.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

That's why I posted the ones I did anyway, although in years past there might have been a time or two I got ever so slightly verklempt listening some of them.

Verklempt.  Now there's a word.  I'm going to try to use it.  I need some new word to replace my current fave new word---bailiwick.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Not only that, no offense old buddy, Punk Rock just didn't make a lot of love songs. 

Do you think punk rock is all I've ever listened to?  Even in the late 70s, it was maybe a quarter of what I listened to.

And if you knew the genre, you'd know that the Ramones had plenty of love songs.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:33pm

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Verklempt.  Now there's a word.  I'm going to try to use it.  I need some new word to replace my current fave new word---bailiwick.

You can thank Mike Meyers for familiarizing America with that word.

Right around 2:25 - 2:26...

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:42pm

Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Not only that, no offense old buddy, Punk Rock just didn't make a lot of love songs.

Do you think punk rock is all I've ever listened to?  Even in the late 70s, it was maybe a quarter of what I listened to.

And if you knew the genre, you'd know that the Ramones had plenty of love songs.

Yes, there were some punk love sings.

I seem to remember one called "I Wanna Smash Your Face With My Love" and I think I heard one called "My Love Is Gonna Kill Your Family". And who can forget "Love Machine Gun" and "If You Love Me Stomp My Face"?

All classic punk love songs!!!

C'mon, man!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:26am
Thor, the song I posted, "Nobody's Home" by Pink Floyd is personally depressing to me.  The first time I heard it was when I listened to The Wall after it first came out and I got the album as a gift from my brother.

Something in that song, which is sad to begin with, triggered a childhood memory of a really bad time 
and plunged me into depression.  It hit me hard and I couldn't stop crying. Cry  
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 3:43am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

Thor, the song I posted, "Nobody's Home" by Pink Floyd is personally depressing to me.  The first time I heard it was when I listened to The Wall after it first came out and I got the album as a gift from my brother.

Something in that song, which is sad to begin with, triggered a childhood memory of a really bad time 

WinkProlly why that insensitive (let me be politically correct) Watalian from (close to) Rockaway Beach got a few Oriental-style slaps when he opened his fingers to us.

DRS, I fully understand you and can empathize with you...and I know the cut you speak of well. Roger Waters has run many away because of how little hope he has in this world and he just won't stop!

I'll have to say one old friend can rip anyone's heart out with the best of them...you can't hate his music, but sometimes you just can't listen to it without being touched...
...sometimes what hurts is looking in the mirror and realizing you are already here and have nothing left to lose because what counted most and those you knew have come and gone, leaving one doing little more than counting down time and looking forward to 'The Great Rest'.
n
Then again, there are still good times to be had...

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:25pm
This one didn't make the pop charts, but it's still very special to me.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 6:34pm
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:20pm
Disapprove...heading back to The Den in a few minutes...I need to see someone and sit.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 8:27pm

WinkProlly why that insensitive (let me be politically correct) Watalian from (close to) Rockaway Beach got a few Oriental-style slaps when he opened his fingers to us.

DRS, I fully understand you and can empathize with you...and I know the cut you speak of well. Roger Waters has run many away because of how little hope he has in this world and he just won't stop!

I'll have to say one old friend can rip anyone's heart out with the best of them...you can't hate his music, but sometimes you just can't listen to it without being touched...
...sometimes what hurts is looking in the mirror and realizing you are already here and have nothing left to lose because what counted most and those you knew have come and gone, leaving one doing little more than counting down time and looking forward to 'The Great Rest'.
n

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 9:27pm

Thank you, PaWolf.  Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic