Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Herding cats?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herding cats?
    Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 6:47pm
I hope this is the right place to ask about an older commercial.

Probably about 6-7 years ago I was having a few beers with a buddy and a football game was on on a nearby TV set. We were mainly BSing and not really watching the game.

I caught just a portion of what has to be one of the neatest commercials I've ever seen.

The part I saw had a group of "Marlboro Country" type cowboys riding the range. At first it looked like an ordinary cattle drive, but they were herding a huge group of cats instead of cattle! These big burly cowboys were picking up strays and pulling a few cats out of a tree.

I have never seen it again, and don't even know for sure what they were even selling, but I think it might have been a beer commercial. It was early in the season, so I'm positive it wasn't a Super Bowl commercial. Anyone remember this one?

Is there anywhere on the web where a person could find a video of this one?
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 8:11pm
It was an ad for an information technology firm.

Here's the ad on YouTube....

If you Google "herding cats commercial" there are a couple of other websites that have it also.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Hagar View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 8:21pm
WOW, that was quick. Yup, that's the one. Thank you very much.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 1:39pm
I loved that commercial. My dog is a Sheltie and sometimes he likes to try and herd our cats. The cats see him as more of a playmate than anything else. 
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 3:08pm
I always wonder something when the subject of that ad comes up....

Prior to that ad coming out, I never heard anyone but myself use the term "herding cats". I started using it when I worked for a company that was owned by a nationally known advertising firm.

I used to say it quite often in response to a question like.... "How's such & such a project going?" I would always answer, "It's like herding cats!!!"

I remember one time some of the company big wigs from the home office were visiting & one of them overheard me & asked "It's like what??" so I repeated it & he kind of chuckled & walked off.

Some time later, maybe a year or two.... the herding cats ad comes out.

This was the same ad agency that came up with Ernest P. Worrell as well as the Bartles & Jaymes wine cooler guys from back in the 80's, so it's not like they had never had a nationally known ad campaign before.

So to this day I always wonder if genesis of the idea for that "herding cats" ad was generated by yours truly....

In the words of Judy Tenuta: Hey..... it could happen!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 3:44pm
Growing up my dad used to use that term.
I always smirked as I thought it was some weird thing my dad said, then I overheard a school teacher of mine using it.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 4:44pm
Really?

I had never heard it before I started using it & have never heard anyone else use it since.

I suppose the whole thing above is just coincidence, but I have sorta wondered.

Even if it was used by other people before, it's still eerily coincidental that I said it in front of an advertising executive then awhile later, it becomes a commercial.

Just the kind of commercial these people would make, too.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

I loved that commercial. My dog is a Sheltie and sometimes he likes to try and herd our cats. The cats see him as more of a playmate than anything else. 

My bro's Sheltie herds the cats at night, and checks on all the humans to make sure they're in their appropriate spots in the bedrooms at the end of the hall.  Then, he "holds guard" in the hallway for awhile.  Sometime later, he lets down that guard and hops into bed with one of us.

He also gathers his toys on a regular basis.

It's funny...whenever I visit them in NJ, the dog is very wary of me---until he realizes I'm OK, and an accepted member of the pack.  Just doin' his job, I guess.

doggiethedog View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doggiethedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 3:59am
Super Bowl XXXIV, one of the few ads that wasn't for a dot com.  The tagline was "In a sense, this is what we do."
Sometimes you feel like an Idol
Sometimes you feel like an Idiot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic