Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dementia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dementia
    Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 1:03am
I am very sad to check into this forum to let everyone know that I have been diagnosed with dementia. I am 60 years old, and I have sustained many, many head injuries during my lifetime. I played rugby as a young man, as well as football (Americans call it soccer). I also fulfilled my obligatory service in the R.A.F. 
The trouble with head injuries is that they don't go away. You can regain consciousness in recovery, but the damage you suffer remains for a lifetime. Brain cells don't come back to life once they die, and if you destroy as many as I have, this sort of condition takes over.
My discovery of this condition came from an injury I suffered in mid October of this year. I was walking my dog at night and tripped over an uneven sidewalk plank. I was knocked unconscious and I also cracked my cheek bone, as my face struck the broken sidewalk with the force of my fallen body.
The emergency ward at the hospital gave me a CT-Scan, and it was revealed that I sustained damage.
My general practitioner Dr. sent me for an additional CT-Scan to look at the extent of my brain trauma. He didn't like the results, so he referred me to a neurologist, who diagnosed that I have the condition of dementia.
I started taking medication for it in the last couple of days, and I am scared to death of losing my life from this condition, just as Malcolm Young and David Cassidy did last week (they were also in their 60's).
My Dr's told me to stay active, physically and mentally......I'll do that! I won't go down without a fight!
One man gathers what another man spills
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 1:22am
Wow. That's shocking to hear, Jimmy.

All I can say is to take care of yourself the best you can and keep a positive outlook. They are constantly working on new treatments. Hopefully your condition is in the early enough stages that something will be found before it gets too bad.

Best of luck to you!!!
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 5:57am
Oh my God, Jimmy, I am so shocked and saddened.  As Jimbo said, there are new discoveries being made and medications to help.  I certainly hope your condition does not progress and you will be active and productive.  My positive thoughts and prayers are with you.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 7:14am
That sounds really scary, Jimmy. Best of luck to you and yours.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 10:48am
Oh, Jimmy!  I'm sorry to hear this.  Best of luck to you!

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 3:45pm
! I'm sorry to hear that! This is shocking news! Hopefully it's not severe.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 11:56pm
Thanks everybody. My Dr's are telling me the same thing; remain physically and mentally active. I'm doing that without a doubt. I walk between 4.5 to 5 miles daily, and I still enjoy reading, but now I'm doing some of the on-line puzzles. I'm really lousy at computer games, I was never any good at those things when Atari came out back in the 80's, and I'm still not very good, but I'll still give it a go!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 1:05am
Hi Jimmie
What unfortunate news - I'm sure your family will hold you close and treasure each day going forward.
There are a LOT of online support groups for both YOU and YOUR FAMILY. I would suggest they all take a few moments to learn about what's available for all. Good stuff, lots of things to do, habits to acquire.
Communication is a good thing - keep on talking and typing.

My father has dementia and I'm his caretaker. The duty can be tough, but it is a privilege. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

Thanks everybody. My Dr's are telling me the same thing; remain physically and mentally active. I'm doing that without a doubt. I walk between 4.5 to 5 miles daily, and I still enjoy reading, but now I doing some of the on-line puzzles. I'm really lousy at computer games, I was never any good at those things when Atari came out back in the 80's, and I'm still not very good, but I'll still give it a go!

Try FreeCell Solitaire.

It's addictive AND mentally challenging.

If you have a tablet or smartphone you can download one of hundreds of apps or you can get the software for a regular computer, etc.

Or play online.

Fun game.

If you really want a challenge, try Spider Solitaire.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 3:55am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Thanks everybody. My Dr's are telling me the same thing; remain physically and mentally active. I'm doing that without a doubt. I walk between 4.5 to 5 miles daily, and I still enjoy reading, but now I doing some of the on-line puzzles. I'm really lousy at computer games, I was never any good at those things when Atari came out back in the 80's, and I'm still not very good, but I'll still give it a go!

Try FreeCell Solitaire.

It's addictive AND mentally challenging.

If you have a tablet or smartphone you can download one of hundreds of apps or you can get the software for a regular computer, etc.

Or play online.

Fun game.

If you really want a challenge, try Spider Solitaire.

WinkBig smileSeconded! What a great piece of advice, ol'mule.
My father's favorite game for probably the last 10 years has been FreeCell and it does help.
Spider Solitaire is more complex but as much fun.
The main thing is to NOT get discouraged - keep on trying and you will amaze yourself and I swear Dad comes out a session a little sharper,
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 10:08am
I started playing FreeCell well over ten years ago and still play it almost every day at least once per day. I have an app on my tablet.

Never tire of playing it.

C'mon, man!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 2:20am

I started playing FreeCell well over ten years ago and still play it almost every day at least once per day. I have an app on my tablet.

Never tire of playing it.

Jimbo & Pa Wolf, thank you so much! I will get that app asap! sounds fun!
btw......I am still working as well. My boss says that as long as I can do it, the kitchen is still my home away from home!
Help like this, and advise like this is such a blessing!
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 11:53am
Try the crossword puzzles in the daily newspaper. The NY Times puzzle is the only use I have for that paper these days. The rest is useful as bird cage liner, or fish wrap, IMHO. If you get too good at solving them, switch from pencil to pen! You can clip and keep them handy for when you feel like doing them.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 1:17pm

Jimbo & Pa Wolf, thank you so much! I will get that app asap! sounds fun!
btw......I am still working as well. My boss says that as long as I can do it, the kitchen is still my home away from home!
Help like this, and advise like this is such a blessing!

Just have a little patience if it takes awhile to get to where you start winning games now & then.

Some games are easier to win than others because sometimes the cards get randomly dealt better than other times.

It all just depends on "the luck of the draw" as the saying goes.

BTW, there are some good instructional videos on YouTube.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

Try the crossword puzzles in the daily newspaper. The NY Times puzzle is the only use I have for that paper these days. The rest is useful as bird cage liner, or fish wrap, IMHO. If you get too good at solving them, switch from pencil to pen! You can clip and keep them handy for when you feel like doing them.

Crossword puzzles are great mental exercise, too.

I used to be a crossword puzzle addict. I would also do what you suggested re: clipping them out to do later. I eventually accumulated a stack of undone crossword puzzles that I ended up tossing into the recycling bin...

As for using a pen, I never used anything BUT pen. Pencils are for wimps. I did keep a white out pen in hand to cover over the occasional mistake.

But I never used a pencil!!!

C'mon, man!
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 2:36pm
Dear Jimmy, I am so sad to hear this! My mom has dementia, and there are so many things they can do now. Concentrate on the things that are familiar to you, rutine will be very important. Jimbo's suggestion is excellent. Your family and friends can help too, just by talking about shared memories.
I will be thinking of you and praying. Please keep us posted.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 6:36pm

Yes!  I used to do those all the time.  Crossword puzzles are more than just knowing the words; they're also about working a puzzle, thinking ahead, racking your brain, etc.

Or is that "wracking"?

Hey, that'd be a good crossword puzzle problem.

Anyway, Jimmy, I wholeheartedly concur about doing crossword puzzles.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 6:44pm
My dad suddenly just lost it on his final trip to Florida in 2005, his girlfriend and my sisters decided he needed to be protected from himself. He drank a lot, I should pay more attention to the things that will make me live longer.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Yes!  I used to do those all the time.  Crossword puzzles are more than just knowing the words; they're also about working a puzzle, thinking ahead, racking your brain, etc.

Or is that "wracking"?

Hey, that'd be a good crossword puzzle problem.

Anyway, Jimmy, I wholeheartedly concur about doing crossword puzzles.

The cool thing about doing crossword puzzles (paper ones, not online) is that it's no sin to look up the answer to something that has you stumped.

I used to keep a world Atlas and a thesaurus handy. If I'd had a set of encyclopedias, I'd have used them, too. If I could not figure out an answer after really busting my brain trying, I'd go ahead and look it up.

Great way to increase your knowledge of language, world geography and literature.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

My dad suddenly just lost it on his final trip to Florida in 2005, his girlfriend and my sisters decided he needed to be protected from himself. He drank a lot, I should pay more attention to the things that will make me live longer.

Sorry to hear that.

Hope it wasn't too traumatic. One thing I'm thankful for is that my mom was mostly mentally intact all the way up to the end.

I could still have a conversation with her a week before she died.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 7:01pm

The cool thing about doing crossword puzzles (paper ones, not online) is that it's no sin to look up the answer to something that has you stumped.

What's your M.O.?  Do you do sections at a time, or do you first try to fill in all the "across", and then all the "down"?  I do it that way so that I can get to the more fun (and sometimes more difficult) stuff, i.e. filling the rest in.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 7:08pm

What's your M.O.?  Do you do sections at a time, or do you first try to fill in all the "across", and then all the "down"?  I do it that way so that I can concentrate on the more fun (difficult) stuff, i.e. filling the rest in.

I do it pretty much the same way.

I'll fill in all the easy across answers first, then all the easy down answers.

After that, start doing the more difficult ones.

I never use pencil, though.

Pen only.

If I screw up something which I cannot alter the letter(s) to the correct one(s), I'll go ahead and very carefully use a white out pen, then after it dries, rub my fingertip over it to smudge it up a bit so the bright white doesn't show up so much.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 7:23pm
Pen or pencil is fine.  Even on-line puzzles are OK, as long as they're not the kind that give instant feedback.

Haven't done one in awhile, though.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 7:56pm

Pen or pencil is fine.  Even on-line puzzles are OK, as long as they're not the kind that give instant feedback.
Haven't done one in awhile, though.

One thing I used to do, as a "reward" to myself for finishing one and getting it all right, was to draw a jagged edged box like this one...

... around the puzzle.

If I didn't finish it, I was not allowed to draw it around the puzzle.

C'mon, man!
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 11:45am

What's your M.O.?  Do you do sections at a time, or do you first try to fill in all the "across", and then all the "down"?  I do it that way so that I can concentrate on the more fun (difficult) stuff, i.e. filling the rest in.

I do it pretty much the same way.

I'll fill in all the easy across answers first, then all the easy down answers.

After that, start doing the more difficult ones.

I never use pencil, though.

Pen only.

If I screw up something which I cannot alter the letter(s) to the correct one(s), I'll go ahead and very carefully use a white out pen, then after it dries, rub my fingertip over it to smudge it up a bit so the bright white doesn't show up so much.

Good Lord! Jimbo, Thor, and I, all agreeing with each other! Feels good
I have used pen for decades, pencil only when I run out of ink.

One of the last things I bought from Radio Shack before they mostly went out of business was a digital crossword game. Not bad, good price, but whoever wrote the puzzles was not someone I've run into before. I prefer paper also.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic