Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 2017 Halloween thread!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:22pm
As promised (somewhere) I'm posting pics of my latest (2017) Halloween lamp.

You may (or may not) recall that last year I posted pics of my first Halloween lamp conversion

This year, I decided to do another one using another old lamp I had sitting around that I had bought at a thrift store a few years ago.

This is the before pic:

After pics:

Close up lit (pic looks whiter than it actually looks. Has more of a yellow tint IRL):

Old and new together:

The little Jack-o'-lantern at the bottom is a rock I painted.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:39pm
Well done, Jimbo.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Well done, Jimbo.

Thank you....

Very kind of you to say in spite of the fact that I was blatantly and obviously...

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:46pm

Well done, Jimbo.

Funny!!!!

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 5:06pm
^ I was hoping you took the time to watch that. LOL  I love that guy!

I saw this on the early morning news, Shaq talks about Halloween candy at 3:25. Thumbs Up

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 6:18pm
H A P P Y   H A L L O W E E N !

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 6:32pm
JIMBO'S HALLOWEEN LAMPS!

They are really nicely done!  You could sell those on Etsy!  I would definitely buy one (probably the skull one)!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

H A P P Y   H A L L O W E E N !

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 7:48pm
The skeleton lamp is great!  Take off the pumpkin at the bottom, and that's something that could be used year-round.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

JIMBO'S HALLOWEEN LAMPS!

They are really nicely done!  You could sell those on Etsy!  I would definitely buy one (probably the skull one)!

Thank you m'dear!!!

There are pics of some REALLY good ones on Google Images. Much better than mine.

The second one is made from glued together clay flower pots and wooden candle holders.

I'm going to be keeping my eye out for another old used lamp during the upcoming year and possibly make another one.

I'd like to find a plastic witch's head and do one with a witch theme.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The skeleton lamp is great!  Take off the pumpkin at the bottom, and that's something that could be used year-round.

Thanks!!!

The pumpkin isn't attached to it, it's just leaning against it.

It's a painted pond rock.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 4:45am
Nice skull lamp! It even has a voodoo vibe...  Wink

Number of kids that came to the door this year:  Zero
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 5:18am
Thanks, Mr T.

The medieval stone wall pattern was achieved by a roll of duct tape I found at the Dollar Tree last year.   

C'mon, man!
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Number of kids that came to the door this year:  Zero

We had approx. 40 Trick-Or-Treaters this year. This is a slight increase from last year though I attribute this mainly to the weather. It was mostly clear and in the low-50s F. this year whereas last Halloween was rainy with some wind.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 4:31pm
Lights off here, Mama even brought the pumpkin inside. It's sitting on the 'pumpkin spice' coffee table. Tongue
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 5:02pm

Lights off here, Mama even brought the pumpkin inside. It's sitting on the 'pumpkin spice' coffee table. Tongue

If she hadn't brought the pumpkin inside, you might have been picking it up in pieces all over your driveway.

I think I related the story last year, of how my friends and I nearly got our asses kicked by a pissed off redneck one year back when we were in our teens, for knocking his pumpkin off of his roof where he thought it would be safe.

Chased us a good couple of blocks down the street.

Fun memory.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 9:10pm

My fond teenage Halloween memory...

When I was a senior, my friends and I sometimes hung out at an old abandoned mansion on the border between Plainfield and Edison, NJ.  It was a shell of a house---totally trashed---but it was a cool place to hang.  On the property were two gravestones with the inscriptions of people who died in the early 1940s.

For our senior Halloween dance that year, we all had the great idea of digging up one of the graves and carrying the casket into the dance.  We'd all be dressed as undertakers, priests, pallbearers, etc.  We will have filled the casket with Snickers, and would have opened it, corpse and all, to the delight of our classmates.

Being young and stupid, we headed up to the house in mid-afternoon the day of the dance, and partied, not to even begin digging until last minute.  We managed to dig about 2 feet before reality set in that it wasn't going to get done in time for us to get costumes together and get to the dance.  We had to come up with an alternate plan quick.  We wanted to shock people.

So...we went as the KKK. 

About 7 of us.  White sheets with pillowcases as the hoods.  We drew or used electrical tape or something to put crosses on the "robes".  We burned a big wooden cross in the school parking lot.  We worried a tiny bit about pissing people off, but the goal was to be shocking, so we didn't care.  Maybe we were lucky that no black students attended the dance.

Good times.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 9:20pm

My fond teenage Halloween memory...

When I was a senior, my friends and I sometimes hung out at an old abandoned mansion on the border between Plainfield and Edison, NJ.  It was a shell of a house---totally trashed---but it was a cool place to hang.  On the property were two gravestones with the inscriptions of people who died in the early 1940s.

For our senior Halloween dance that year, we all had the great idea of digging up one of the graves and carrying the casket into the dance.  We'd all be dressed as undertakers, priests, pallbearers, etc.  We will have filled the casket with Snickers, and would have opened it, corpse and all, to the delight of our classmates.

Being young and stupid, we headed up to the house in mid-afternoon the day of the dance, and partied, not to even begin digging until last minute.  We managed to dig about 2 feet before reality set in that it wasn't going to get done in time for us to get costumes together and get to the dance.  We had to come up with an alternate plan quick.  We wanted to shock people.

So...we went as the KKK. 

About 7 of us.  White sheets with pillowcases as the hoods.  We drew or used electrical tape or something to put crosses on the "robes".  We burned a big wooden cross in the school parking lot.  We worried a tiny bit about pissing people off, but the goal was to be shocking, so we didn't care.  Maybe we were lucky that no black students attended the dance.

Good times.  LOL

You're probably lucky you procrastinated on the digging, as digging up a grave is a crime and you might have spent that Halloween dancing in a jail cell....

Back in those days dressing up as the Klan for Halloween wouldn't have raised an eyebrow.

If you wanted to shock everyone, you guys should've showed up in the buff.

That woulda done it!!!

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 9:30pm
Yeah, we thought about that---for maybe a second.  But "diffusion of responsibility" took over.  In our teenaged minds, we'd share the guilt.  100% guilt divided by 7 of us would make each of us holding 14% of the guilt.  Not enough for us to care about.  It'd have all been worth it.

And the KKK would've been shocking back then, too.  Just not as much as today.  Today, we'd probably have been kicked out of the dance, and there'd be grief counselors for anyone who might've been offended.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 9:40pm
OK, so now how about going on Google Maps Street View and showing us the exact spots where these things took place.

I'm not doubting you, I just like to see exactly (or as close to exactly as possible after so many years) what you saw.

Helps me experience it better, I guess.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 9:53pm
All I remember was that it was on Plainfield-Edison Road.  Turned right past the Liquor Locker on Oak Tree Road.  Or something like that.  Been a long time.  The house was up a hill behind trees on the right.

In my yearbook, there's pics of the dance.  In the distance in one of the pics, you can see one of us in our KKK costume.  It must've been my friend Tom B., because he's really tall.

Somewhere, I also have the pic of the fireplace in the "ballroom" of the abandoned mansion with the word Lac Ta Maon spraypainted on it.  My really smart friend George told us that was the Greek God of iniquity, and wanted that to be the name of our "fraternity".  I've since looked up the word and found nothing.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 10:09pm
What high school was it?

Which part of the parking lot did you burn the cross?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 10:15pm
You're puttin' me on, right?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 10:26pm

You're puttin' me on, right?

No!!!!

I want to see where these goings on went on so I can see what you saw.

You may have noticed I have a "thing" about that, like when I posted the pics of the back of the Walmart where you stack the pallets. Or when I posted the pic of where I got hit by a car on my bike or the house where I knocked the pumpkin off the roof and got chased.

I want to see what other people see or saw during whatever thing they are telling about and vice versa. Show what I saw.

It's weird I know, but I want to sort of "be there".

Google Street View makes that possible, so I try to utilize it when I can.

If you don't want to play along, that's OK, too.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 1:57am
As soon as I got to the part in Thor's story where there were two graves on the property, I knew he was going to be digging up graves.  Do you remember the names on the graves?  I want to be in the moment with you too!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic