Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Petty??? RIP???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tom Petty??? RIP???
    Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 9:11pm
I heard he was on life support, that he had gone into cardiac arrest and was found not breathing. My friend just texted me he heard he passed... HE JUST FINISHED HIS NORTH AMERICAN TOUR!!!

What a sh*t day for news.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 9:16pm
***UPDATE*** - CBS news confirmed. Another legend gone.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 9:18pm
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 9:35pm
If I can just pick which thread to respond to...LOL   RIP
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 10:15pm
Seems we all heard about it at the same time...and immediately went to CIH to report.

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 10:57pm
Conflicting reports. Several news organizations RETRACTING the story including TMZ and CBS News, saying Tom Petty is alive, but hospitalized in unknown condition. I suspect critical. Please don't back down Mr. Petty!
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:01pm
I hope you are right, crainbebo!!!
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:14pm
I read that there was no brain activity and they have him on life support.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:20pm
I checked Wikipedia earlier.  They had him as alive.  A few minutes later, they had him as dead.  Now, he's alive again.

Thomas Earl Petty (born October 20, 1950) is...

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:31pm
I like a lot of his music, I think this is the best version of Break Down.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 12:27am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I read that there was no brain activity and they have him on life support.

That's what happened to an old friend of mine back in January. Had a massive coronary then spent two weeks on life support before they finally pulled the plug. It became obvious he wasn't going to wake up again.

Looks like we've lost another one.

C'mon, man!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 6:19am
It's official. He didn't make it. His longtime manager confirms he's passed away. This is a horrifically dark day in American history and now in music history. RIP to one of America's best rockers. I hope he keeps those jam sessions going up in the Great Concert Hall of the Sky. CryCry

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-entertainment-news-updates-tom-petty-s-hospitalization-confirmed-1506979939-htmlstory.html
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 3:43pm
Yeah, this sucks. One of my absolute favorite rock artists, and one I will truly miss. I know Bowie and Prince were loved, but I was never a fan of them, so their loss didn't mean much to me personally. Petty's does.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 6:41pm
One of my college roommates and I used to jam on guitar all the time.

We did a few TPATH songs.

Yes, we were a couple of wannabes, but we had fun.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 6:46pm

NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 11:27pm
Dammit.

Just dammit.

RIP to one of the great ones.
I have 168 characters remaining.
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:50am
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers saved us from the decline of rock music in the 70s, after Zeppelin broke up.  TP&THBs, The Cars, Elvis Costello, etc.

Saw Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers in concert in the late 70s in San Diego, before I moved back to San Diego for good.

Love a lot of the band's and his solo career songs too.  Such a great rock icon, gone too soon.  They just finished their 40th anniversary tour!

So sad Cry

RIP Tom.  Thanks for all the great music.  Broken Heart
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 6:32am
A little Tom Petty trivia for anyone interested.

Everyone knows that he grew up in Gainesville, FL.

During that same time period in the 60's, there was another guy who would go on to become a less well known by name but still very successful rock guitarist, long time member of the Eagles, Don Felder, (far end next to Joe Walsh with flannel shirt and suspenders)...

...who also grew up in Gainesville.

While working as a guitar instructor at a local music store, one of his students was a young local kid named... you guessed it, Tom Petty.

Don Felder Remembers Tom Petty as a Friend, Student & 'Fearless' Performer

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic