Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Glen Campbell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Glen Campbell
    Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 10:13pm
The 'Rhinestone Cowboy' lost the battle with Alzheimer's earlier today. He was 81. Also known for Wichita Lineman, Galveston and Gentle on My Mind. Nashville mourns one of country's greatest singers! Cry

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/7334015/glen-campbell-dead-81

Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 10:24pm
Oh, man...

A great musician and a great songwriter.

RIP Glen.

Thanks for the great memories.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 10:56pm
Huge loss...Thank You and RIP Mr. Campbell.
'Wichita Lineman' has long held a special place in my heart from my days on the road that would separate myself from my better half for elongated periods of time. Hearing that song at dusk was always a very hard thing to do, but I never would turn it off.

...damn, how time passes...

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:41pm

Gentle on My Mind is my favorite.  I kind of rediscovered it for myself about 10 years ago while putting together a summer-themed CD.  That guitar at the beginning is beautiful (though I often confuse it with the intro to Everybody's Talkin').

I watched a doc of his "Goodbye" tour not too long ago.  Sad.  

RIP, Glen.

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:53pm
I'm so sad to hear this.  RIP Glen.  I enjoyed his music; Wichita Lineman is one of my favorites.  Many fond memories of listening and watching his music and TV shows.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:59pm
He's from a decade where country music told a story and not stupid sh*t like red Solo cups and your stupid dumbass souped up truck!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

He's from a decade where country music told a story and not stupid sh*t like red Solo cups and your stupid dumbass souped up truck!
Plus he was crossover.  I remember Glen Campbell being played on regular AM music stations along with the other popular tunes of the time.  I am so sad.  Cry
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Damn right.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 12:39am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

I'm so sad to hear this.  RIP Glen.  I enjoyed his music; Wichita Lineman is one of my favorites.  Many fond memories of listening and watching his music and TV shows.

I was around 10 years old when that song came out and it has always been one of my favorites.

It was written by his long time friend and collaborator Jimmy Webb who also wrote hit songs like "Up, Up and Away", "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", "Galveston", "The Worst That Could Happen" and "MacArthur Park".

Huge loss to the music world.

C'mon, man!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 5:26am
Dollywood has a garden which has plaques memorializing deceased country-western singers. I'm sure they've drawn up plans to memorialize Glen Campbell. I don't know if it will erected when I visit this park in two weeks.

RIP Glen.
Poiuyt Power!!!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 3:04pm
RIP Mr. Campbell

This is really weird - I listen to some oldies station and last week they played "Every Day Housewife" and it made me pause and wonder if Glen Campbell had died. He;s been sick for so long. Very sad to hear this.

Plus, he was in True Grit and I fell in love with him!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 3:14pm
Many people forget he did some acting, too.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 5:15pm
A great artist and entertainer, RIP.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 5:46pm
Glen Campbell had a great partnership with Jimmy Webb (who wrote many of his classic hits)
http://radio.com/2017/08/09/jimmy-webb-remembers-glen-campbell/
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 6:08pm
Glen Campbell was buds with Alice Cooper and a respected guitarist as well as singer/entertainer.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 8:27pm
Not many of the country icons left these days. Willie Nelson is still going, Kris Kristofferson...but fewer and fewer.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:37pm
He worked with a lotta big names before he had a big name of his own---The Beach Boys, Dean Martin, Elvis and many others.  He was with the Wrecking Crew.

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

He worked with a lotta big names before he had a big name of his own---The Beach Boys, Dean Martin, Elvis and many others.  He was with the Wrecking Crew.

Glen Campbell plays the banjo on this Pet Sounds song...

Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 2:45am
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Not many of the country icons left these days. Willie Nelson is still going, Kris Kristofferson...but fewer and fewer.

Willie Nelson is old as feck. 84 years old! And he is a weedhead(Take that to some anti marijuana propaganda that daid that smoking weed drastically lowers your life expectancy)
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 5:41am
Quote He was with the Wrecking Crew.

I saw the documentary on that.  That was pretty impressive...
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 4:20am
The Wichita Lineman has always been my favourite song by Mr. Campbell. The orchestration along with his heavenly voice is pure magic. 
Where I grew up (in the UK), the images created in this song allowed me to imagine to loneliness of that job in the far away midwest section of the U.S......Thank you Mr. Cambell!
Rest In Peace! You will be missed forever! 
One man gathers what another man spills
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:30pm
They played this song between sets last year when we saw Brian Wilson.  I was amazed to learn that it was Glen Campbell singing.  What a voice.  Rest in peace.

"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:51pm
ShockedClap
WOW...Thank You, aleen!
I've never heard that before - fantastic...going to take me a few moments to recover and gather my thoughts...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:03pm
Awesome and great mid 1960's song.

Has a definite Motown feel to it.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:35pm
Yea, good point ol'mule...but I kinda wonder if we missed the news about babies swapped at birth, or maybe a mad scientist project that was partially reversed when it came to swapping great talents: Charlie Pride & Glen Campbell.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic