Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Devour microwave meals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Check you local specials - Food Lion has all DEVOUR meals 2 for $5 right now. They WILL sell you 1 for $2.50.
Go get your Buffalo Chicken Cheese Mac.

1 meal for $2.50?
Ready in 6 minutes?
Much tastier and faster, and cheaper than McD's, KFC, TB...and once purchased, you can fix it whenever you want, in your underpants (if you so desire)

The only Food Lion around here is too far to drive.

And I would never microwave it. Certainly not from frozen.

Microwaves are only good for quick thawing frozen food, IMO.

I'd let them thaw in the fridge overnight then bake them with real, dry heat in the oven the way food should be prepared.

Maybe even take them out of the cardboard and put them in a baking dish first.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 6:54am

1 meal for $2.50?
Ready in 6 minutes?
Much tastier and faster, and cheaper than McD's, KFC, TB...and once purchased, you can fix it whenever you want, in your underpants (if you so desire)

Tastier and cheaper, but not faster...at least not here. I can actually drive to the closest McD's, place my order, get my food, and get back in under 4 minutes.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 6:55am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I'd let them thaw in the fridge overnight then bake them with real, dry heat in the oven the way food should be prepared.

If I was dictator anyone who ruined mac and cheese by baking it would be sentenced to 10 years hard labor.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 11:32am

I assume this stuff is better than the Kraft macaroni and cheese.  I used to like Kraft.  After I had mac and cheese with real cheese (rather than that orange powder), though, the Kraft stuff became history.  Tasted like bland mush.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

If I was dictator anyone who ruined mac and cheese by baking it would be sentenced to 10 years hard labor.

Look-a here lil' feller... jes' cause some folks ain't learned how'ta enjoy a baked macaroni-n-cheese casserole type-a dish, don't go-a punishin' the rest-a us'ns fer a-doin so!!!

Dad-blame it!!!!

Ya put yerself some bread crumbs and some grated and shredded cheese on top, then ya bake it until ya gitch-yerself a brown, crispy crust on top!!!

Now that's some mighty good eatin' son!!!

Ol' Hop Sing knows better'n ta not bake our mac-n-cheese at the Ponderosa!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I assume this stuff is better than the Kraft macaroni and cheese.  I used to like Kraft.  After I had mac and cheese with real cheese (rather than that orange powder), though, the Kraft stuff became history.  Tasted like bland mush.

Stouffer's, baby!!!!

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 4:28pm

Check you local specials - Food Lion has all DEVOUR meals 2 for $5 right now. They WILL sell you 1 for $2.50.
Go get your Buffalo Chicken Cheese Mac.

1 meal for $2.50?
Ready in 6 minutes?

The only Food Lion around here is too far to drive.

And I would never microwave it. Certainly not from frozen.

Microwaves are only good for quick thawing frozen food, IMO.

Maybe even take them out of the cardboard and put them in a baking dish first.

Wink
I think you must descend from some royal bloodline. Never have to be in a rush, never starved. Life was a bed of roses, eh?
Thank the Big Guy Above for inviting illegal aliens and extraterrestrials to help us invent microwave ovens and meals. Cooks in a minute, tastes like sh*t, does the job! Until you get to Devour...and these take 5-6 minutes to cook right and, being I've not tasted excrement, all I can say is they taste GREAT!
Some of us need 'Taste Great' and 'Fast Food' to come together for us - but again, that's 'some of us'.
Now, I guess I must ask a question about 'being proper'...not only am I a roaming wolf, I'm a PIG. I *like* to eat and I wanna eat NOW - not tomorrow morning, not 'after it thaws'. The last person who told me 'patience is a virtue' died. Yup. Right up kicked the bucket because of patience. So, no stinkin' 'dry heat' easybake oven and what real man even KNOWS what a baking dish is?! Am*I* IMproper for not owning one o'those white ceramic oval baking dishes, if not five? You know, one of those soufflé dishes? Mind you, I'm a MAN, so I have no idea what I am talking about, when it comes to 'Women's Arts' and the 'French Lingo'.
(Embarrassedwell, I do, 'cause she made me cook for the fam...)
Let's see...the 'great potato famine', 'the American dustbowl', 'Grapes Of Wrath'...you familiar with the histories or the story? My family line barely escape the hell of the 'starving times', before Pampers, toilet paper, flushable potties, and showers with soap, razors, teethbrushes, and, of course, deodorant.
We never forgot, so we're thankful for our TASTY fast food.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 2:56am

Look-a here lil' feller... jes' cause some folks ain't learned how'ta enjoy a baked macaroni-n-cheese casserole type-a dish, don't go-a punishin' the rest-a us'ns fer a-doin so!!!

Dad-blame it!!!!

Ya put yerself some bread crumbs and some grated and shredded cheese on top, then ya bake it until ya gitch-yerself a brown, crispy crust on top!!!

Now that's some mighty good eatin' son!!!

Ol' Hop Sing knows better'n ta not bake our mac-n-cheese at the Ponderosa!!!

That one there's a humdinger, Hoss!  (Great work, Jimbo.)  LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 3:20am
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

That one there's a humdinger, Hoss!  (Great work, Jimbo.)  LOL

Thanks, DRS!!!

I needed an attaboy!!!

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 10:46am

Stouffer's, baby!!!!

Stouffer's is really good.  I've found store brands of frozen mac and cheese that are good, too.  Sometimes, they're actually too "cheesey" for me, so I cook up more macaroni or cavatappi and mix it in.  I do the same with macaroni salad.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 4:06pm

Ugh dear lord no, macaroni with a crust is like pumpkin pie with goat urine. I mean sure, you CAN add it, but it's certainly nothing I would consider eating if I had any choice!

Side note, I wanted to try the new varieties, but when I went to the store apparently everyone had the same idea, cause the only one they had any left in stock was the bacon topped meatloaf with spicy ketchup and garlic mac and cheese, and they were almost out of that one too. I did get one of those though and had it last night, it was pretty tasty, but not as filling as the buffalo mac.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 5:07pm

Ugh dear lord no, macaroni with a crust is like pumpkin pie with goat urine. I mean sure, you CAN add it, but it's certainly nothing I would consider eating if I had any choice!

Side note, I wanted to try the new varieties, but when I went to the store apparently everyone had the same idea, cause the only one they had any left in stock was the bacon topped meatloaf with spicy ketchup and garlic mac and cheese, and they were almost out of that one too. I did get one of those though and had it last night, it was pretty tasty, but not as filling as the buffalo mac.

Wait a minute... you actually LIKE mac & cheese with GARLIC??? ...

But you balk at it with a cheesey crispy, golden baked bread crumb crust????

The goat urine sounds better than garlic, which afaic, has become an over used "fad" spice.

Seems like every pretentious, hipster restaurant (and frozen food company trying to emulate them), wants to ruin perfectly good food with friggin garlic because it's hip and trendy.

Yuck.

I suppose next it will be mac & cheese with chutney. Or Chipotle.

Arugula.

I guess it takes "all kinds"...

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 5:44pm

Ugh dear lord no, macaroni with a crust is like pumpkin pie with goat urine.

I guess it takes "all kinds"...

LOLLOL

We can't have too much nasty body functions on the forum.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 5:48pm

C'mon, man!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 9:15pm
That Scary Movie 2 clip is ridiculously funny!  LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

That Scary Movie 2 clip is ridiculously funny!  LOL

Nothing like a good barf fest.

They must've eaten some garlic mac & cheese....

C'mon, man!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 10:41pm
You guys are cracking me up over here! LOL! Good work. Keep it up!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 10:47pm
Disapprove...nobody has mentioned Monsieur Creosote?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 3:57am

The goat urine sounds better than garlic, which afaic, has become an over used "fad" spice.

Seems like every pretentious, hipster restaurant (and frozen food company trying to emulate them), wants to ruin perfectly good food with friggin garlic because it's hip and trendy.

I like garlic well enough(I don't see it added to many things though, not sure what you're referring to there) but tbh the mac and cheese doesn't have a garlic taste. Also, I dunno what that kinda abomination that picture you posted is, but it's clearly not mac and cheese. M&C is supposed to be soft and gooey, once you make it crispy, it's no longer mac and cheese, just like if you order a steak extra well done it's no longer a real steak, it's a piece of vaguely edible leather.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 4:42am

I like garlic well enough (I don't see it added to many things though, not sure what you're referring to there) but tbh the mac and cheese doesn't have a garlic taste. Also, I dunno what that kinda abomination that picture you posted is, but it's clearly not mac and cheese. M&C is supposed to be soft and gooey, once you make it crispy, it's no longer mac and cheese, just like if you order a steak extra well done it's no longer a real steak, it's a piece of vaguely edible leather.

You must not watch many cooking shows. You've never heard of garlic mashed potatoes? Garlic chicken wings? Garlic mussels? Garlic shrimp? You name it, some chefs seem to think it's necessary to dump garlic into everything they make.

The rest of that business above is just your opinion. Not every version of a given dish has to always be made the same.

The stuff in the picture I posted looks delicious. Seems fairly obvious that it's only the top crust that gets brown and crispy while the stuff underneath stays soft and gooey.

Speaking of abominations, I'm thinking maybe you guys are only familiar with that Kraft/Velveeta boxed crap with the cheese-like chemical goo in the foil envelope that you squeeze out like orange poop.

That sounds exactly like what you're talking about.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 9:00am
The crusty stuff looks good to me.  I'd rather that than add-ins like beef or chicken or onion or whatever.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 11:55am

The crusty stuff looks good to me.  I'd rather that than add-ins like beef or chicken or onion or whatever.

Looks good to me too.

Of course when you do that it becomes more of a casserole, but as Billy Joel might say, ...it's still mac-n-cheese to me.

Personally, I like it with cubed, sauteed ham and diced green peppers.

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 2:08pm
I had to Google these meals because they sound delicious. Then I read the nutrition label. bad news...h. That buffalo Mac and cheese meal is 74% sodium.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

I had to Google these meals because they sound delicious. Then I read the nutrition label. bad news...h. That buffalo Mac and cheese meal is 74% sodium.

Yep.

I briefly alluded to the sodium content on the previous page.

If I were to ever give it a try, it would have to be a one time thing or occasional treat at best.

These prepared, packaged foods nowadays are sodium bombs.

I think I heard something about the FDA pressuring food manufacturers to set a goal of reducing the sodium content of their products by a certain year.

C'mon, man!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 2:56pm

You must not watch many cooking shows. You've never heard of garlic mashed potatoes? Garlic chicken wings? Garlic mussels? Garlic shrimp? You name it, some chefs seem to think it's necessary to dump garlic into everything they make.

The stuff in the picture I posted looks delicious. Seems fairly obvious that it's only the top crust that gets brown and crispy while the stuff underneath stays soft and gooey.

Speaking of abominations, I'm thinking maybe you guys are only familiar with that Kraft/Velveeta boxed crap with the cheese-like chemical goo in the foil envelope that you squeeze out like orange poop.

I'm about to turn 36, garlic mashed potatoes, shrimp, and wings have been around longer than I have(same as garlic bread), so you can hardly cite them as some modern hipster example of adding garlic to everything. Never heard of garlic mussels. Doesn't sound appealing, though.

And no, I don't touch Kraft or Velveeta mac & cheese, that stuff is nasty. I'm talking about real mac and cheese, which doesn't have a crust(and sorry, that pic? the mac under the crust doesn't look gooey at all, it looks dry, which is exactly how it has been every single  time I've eaten mac fixed like that).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic