Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tires..... sheesh.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tires..... sheesh.
    Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 3:19pm
Four years ago in 2004 I bought a set of new tires from Discount Tire Co.

As usual, I bought the cheapest tires they had in 14".

They came with a 40,000 mile "warranty". But because I drive very little (about 2,500 miles a year) four years later in October 2008, I had only put 10,000 miles on them.

A few days ago, I noticed the steering wheel of my truck was wobbling & shaking so I figured it was time for a rotation & balance which was covered under the warranty & supposed to be free.

So this morning, I get up early & head out the door, paperwork from the original sale in hand & head up to the tire store in time to be the 2nd guy there.

They pull the truck in the bay, take the tires off to do their stuff, & the counter gal comes in & tells me the two front tires are separated, which means the steel belts had separated from the rubber.

I didn't actually look at the tires (which I should've) but I know from experience what it feels like driving when that happens so I believed them.

Then the gal tells me that it will cost just over $80 to put 2 new tires on.

Wait a minute.... these tires were warranted for 40,000 miles & I only put 10,000 on them. That means that I should get the replacements for 1/4 the cost. Then they start going on about tread depth & a $14 per tire installation charge & god knows what all else.

When did tire companies start charging installation fees again???? The last time I bought tires they were all advertising "On the rim & out the door".

So I told em to put the bad tires on the rear where they were supposed to be rotated to anyway, & I'd come back in a couple of weeks & get new ones.

They refused to put my tires back on. Said they couldn't because of legal liability.

So I told them I didn't have any money. (I didn't tell them I had a credit card, but they didn't ask either.)

Anyway, we start going back & forth about it until we arrived at a standoff & finally the assistant manager who obviously wanted to get me out of there offered to put two new tires on & let me "pay for them the next time I came by".

So basically I could've had two new tires for free, but being the idiot that I am, I couldn't accept charity, so I suggested a lower price. The first price she gave me was over $80, now she's saying it would be $70 total. So I said how about $60? They agreed to that & I was immediately pissed off at myself for not offering $50 which I'm sure they would've gone for at that point just to get rid of me.

Then this fat guy who looked like the main manager says (smiling) "I thought you said you didn't have any money!!" To which I replied "I don't.", to which he then says (smiling) "Well, I don't want any bad checks..."

I shoulda told him to go f**k himself right there for implying in front of everyone that I'd write a bad check, but I just laughed & said "I don't write checks period.", as I took out my credit card. Thinking about it later, I felt damned insulted.

So anyhoo, I wound up paying just under $60 for two new tires to replace two that only had 10,000 miles on them.

I can't help feeling like I got hosed.

And I can't believe these jerks can hold someone hostage like that. I shoulda let em put the new tires on for free & said screw em & never went back, but I wouldn't have been able to live with myself.

I just wish I woulda offered to pay $50 rather than $60.

That's gonna mess with me all day now.

Dammit.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 3:43pm

That sucks, Jimbo! I have to agree - I think you got hosed. Sons of Beehives...

The artist formerly known as Madawee

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 5:01pm

Topic%20SucksRippedthis%20is%20the%20worlds%20smallest%20violin,%20playing%20just%20for%20you!!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 5:04pm
Judge Marilyn Milian, the hottest judge on television, has a Cuban expression for this:

"The cheap always turns out expensive."

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Judge Marilyn Milian, the hottest judge on television, has a Cuban expression for this:

"The cheap always turns out expensive."

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL She's great! I can just hear her saying that!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

Topic%20SucksRippedthis%20is%20the%20worlds%20smallest%20violin,%20playing%20just%20for%20you!!

Yeah, but since you suck yourself, it all works out even.

And since you entered the thread vountarily, you didn't get ripped.

So you've got nothing to complain about.

But of course having nothing to complain about has never stopped snivelling little crybabies like yourself from doing it anyway, has it?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 5:44pm
tool
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 8:32pm
OK, you two, knock it off. Don't make me pull this CIH bus over and open up a can of Whoop Ass on you! 

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by BrianO BrianO wrote:

tool

shill!LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

OK, you two, knock it off. Don't make me pull this CIH bus over and open up a can of Whoop Ass on you! 

Oh, he got his panties in a wad & left.

But.... he'll likely be back, because he seems to be like a fungus.

Just when you think you're rid of it.... it comes back again.

That & he probably doesn't have anything else to do or anywhere else to go.

C'mon, man!
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 9:04pm
He's not a fungus......he's HERPES.Dead

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 9:39pm
did you end up tossing the old tires through the window like the ad?LOL

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 9:50pm
Yeah, now back to tires. Jimbo, did you take a magnifying glass and read all the fine print on that warranty?
What brand were they? Without reading the warranty, I don't see you being "hosed" paying $60 for 2 new tires. Some stores do have that "on the car- out the door" pricing.
The ones around here even have a tire disposal fee.......landfill charges, I guess.

Anyway, the tires I have on, have a road hazard warranty. The tire I mentioned in another thread getting sliced was covered. They 'gave' me a new tire, minus the fees for balancing/etc.Clap 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 1:46am
uhhh....Jimbo? Think you have a few minutes to 'cut and paste' your opening thread commentary to the State of Florida Consumer Protection Division? The basic line sounds as if you have a valid complaint. At least you could have fun with a paper trail the tire folks will HATE you for creating; a real 'ping-pong' effect can occur with you only having to repeate the 'cut & paste' effort - but them having to constantly respond...they'll readily hate the day they met you.
You might even get a few bucks back...and tires...and the idiots will learn to NEVER talk to, nor treat a customer as they have you. Brats gotta learn somehow...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

did you end up tossing the old tires through the window like the ad?LOL

You know what?..... After I got home it occurred to me that I should've asked the guy if I could take my old tires & throw them thru their plate glass window like the old lady in the commercial.

It would've at least made a point. LOL

Damn my forgetting!!!! Angry

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Yeah, now back to tires. Jimbo, did you take a magnifying glass and read all the fine print on that warranty?
What brand were they? Without reading the warranty, I don't see you being "hosed" paying $60 for 2 new tires. Some stores do have that "on the car- out the door" pricing.
The ones around here even have a tire disposal fee.......landfill charges, I guess.

Anyway, the tires I have on, have a road hazard warranty. The tire I mentioned in another thread getting sliced was covered. They 'gave' me a new tire, minus the fees for balancing/etc.Clap 

Yeah, I skimmed over it while I was waiting & they had their asses covered thouroughly.

And while I don't feel 60 bucks is a bad price at all for two new tires, what pisses me off is that the old ones only had 10,000 miles on them.

If fairness was an actual factor in the equation, they'd charge me 1/4 of the price for the two tires & 1/4 the price of everything else associated with them because the last crap they sold me only lasted 1/4 of the milagae they were supposed to.

Anyway, what I was really pissed off about was my own failure to get them down another 10 bucks.

Meh..... water under the bridge.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

uhhh....Jimbo? Think you have a few minutes to 'cut and paste' your opening thread commentary to the State of Florida Consumer Protection Division? The basic line sounds as if you have a valid complaint. At least you could have fun with a paper trail the tire folks will HATE you for creating; a real 'ping-pong' effect can occur with you only having to repeate the 'cut & paste' effort - but them having to constantly respond...they'll readily hate the day they met you.
You might even get a few bucks back...and tires...and the idiots will learn to NEVER talk to, nor treat a customer as they have you. Brats gotta learn somehow...

Well.... the guy did offer to basically give me two new tires with no guarantee of payment, trusting me to come back pay them the next time I came by, so I can't be completely pissed off.

Also, I had the tires for 4 years.

Just sounds like it might create more hassle in the end.

I'll just take my lumps like the rest of us sheep.

C'mon, man!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Wink

Yeah, I skimmed over it while I was waiting & they had their asses covered thouroughly.

And while I don't feel 60 bucks is a bad price at all for two new tires, what pisses me off is that the old ones only had 10,000 miles on them.

If fairness was an actual factor in the equation, they'd charge me 1/4 of the price for the two tires & 1/4 the price of everything else associated with them because the last crap they sold me only lasted 1/4 of the milagae they were supposed to.

Anyway, what I was really pissed off about was my own failure to get them down another 10 bucks.

Meh..... water under the bridge.

Well, at $30 a tire, you didn't expect Michelins, did ya?Wink
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 3:11am
This tire thread made me think of a recent piece on 20/20 about "old" tires being sold as "new" tires.  You need to check the dates on your "new" tires and be sure they are not more than a couple years old.   The longer the "new" tire sits on the shelf, the more it ages.  Doesn't matter if the tire has never hit the road!     Many accidents are caused by old tires being sold as new tires.   

Also I don't drive much at all and have replaced ALL of my 3 year old car's tires!  I pay about $80.00 per tire.  
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic