Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chuckie B. Dead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chuckie B. Dead
    Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 11:11pm
Chuck Berry, dead at 90.

Lotsa hits:

Johnny B. Good
Maybelline
Sweet Little 16
Ring, Ring Goes the Bell

And who can forget:

RIP to a true pioneer.

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 11:24pm
Guess his ding-a-ling ain't ding-a-lingin no more.

RIP Johnny B. Goode.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 11:58pm
What a legend in rock and roll. May he rest in forever peace.
I rarely hear Chuck Berry on radio anymore. Just "Run Rudolph Run" during the holidays when the oldies/soft rock stations go to All-Christmas. A shame, but it's that same ole' excuse that radio executives don't care about the 55+ crowd. 
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 1:51am
R.I.P Chuck. Cry
Poiuyt Power!!!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 3:23am
Oh boy first of all RIP Mr. Berry. It must have been the late 1980s when I saw an ad that Chuck was playing at some small club in Atlantic city. My cousin ,her husband and I got tick e t-shirt and went. Incredibly enjoyable show. At the end, in a rare gesture of generosity, Mr. Berry invited any and all audience members to come up ON STAGE and dance with him. Well, naturally I make a bee line down the aisle, stop, look back and my cousin is still sitting there. She couldn't move. So, in a what the f**k was I thinking moment, I back track and never went up. Yeah, it's a moment that still haunts me. I just tested my cousin about it today. I'll never let her live that down.

Sigh, RIP Mr. Berry.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 4:07am
Damn.  Cry  

Chuck Berry was a pioneer in rock n roll, and he influenced many of the best artists who followed him, like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, to name just a couple.

Speaking of cousins, I have a cousin-Chuck Berry story.  Not much to tell:  One of my first cousins on my father's side of the family, who was very pretty, blonde, blue-eyed, lovely and sweet, had gone to a county or state fair of some sort in Northern California.  Chuck was one of the performers there and somehow my cousin got close enough to the stage or wherever he was, and was propositioned by Johnny B. Goode Himself.  This was many years ago when she was underage, still a teenager!  So I guess the rumors of him liking young girls was more than just a rumor.  (My cousin declined any offers made and was pretty furious at the time.  What she really wanted was for her dad to beat him up!)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 2:16pm
^  I think that's just what those guys did back then (him, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and probably many others).  And that kinda stuff continued well on into the 70s with the newer artists.  I was reading about Laurel Canyon, CA where all the movers and shakers in rock and folk music lived in the 60s and 70s.  These guys used to gather at the Laurel Canyon financial institutions in the mornings to meet up with their drug dealers and teenage groupies, and get the party started.

The Mamas and Papas had a song (Twelve-thirty) about it.  It was simultaneously upbeat and dark:

Young girls are coming to the canyon
And in the mornings I can see them walking
I can no longer keep my blinds drawn
And I can't keep myself from talking

Cloudy waters cast no reflection
Images of beauty lie there stagnant
Vibrations bounce in no direction
And lie there shattered into fragments

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  I think that's just what those guys did back then (him, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and probably many others).  And that kinda stuff continued well on into the 70s with the newer artists.  I was reading about Laurel Canyon, CA where all the movers and shakers in rock and folk music lived in the 60s and 70s.  These guys used to gather at the Laurel Canyon financial institutions in the mornings to meet up with their drug dealers and teenage groupies, and get the party started.

The Mamas and Papas had a song (Twelve-thirty) about it.  It was simultaneously upbeat and dark:

Young girls are coming to the canyon
And in the mornings I can see them walking
I can no longer keep my blinds drawn
And I can't keep myself from talking

Cloudy waters cast no reflection
Images of beauty lie there stagnant
Vibrations bounce in no direction
And lie there shattered into fragments

Ironic this ^ coming out of John Phillips, the guy who diddled his own underage daughter McKenzie.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 3:02pm
From what I understand, John wrote most of the song, extolling the beautiful life in Laurel Canyon as opposed to NYC, while Michelle insisted on adding the "Cloudy waters..." verse.  So, she was the one who noted how the young hippie girls were being used.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 6:03pm
John Phillips was banging his own daughter?
Wasn't she on One Day at a Time?

RIP, Chuck Berry.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

John Phillips was banging his own daughter?
Wasn't she on One Day at a Time?

RIP, Chuck Berry.

That's what she claims.

And yes, she was on that show.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 7:44pm
Supposedly, Mick Jagger was banging her, too.  Of course, that pales in comparison.

Not sure I believe much of what this girl says.  But what the hell...it's good legend.

DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:47am
It's nice that the RIP Chuck Berry Thread has turned into tales of hippies, druggies, groupies, underage sex, and incest.  LOL  Ouch  Confused

Be that as it may...

First of all, my cousin was not a groupie or hippie, just an average American high school girl.  I'm aware of all the sex, drugs and rock n roll tales of that era and beyond, but it was just a little secret about Chuck Berry, especially as his age advanced but his conquests (or at least taste in potential conquests) didn't.  Tongue

Yeah, MacKenzie Phillips, daughter of John Phillips, claims Mick Jagger did her once while she was underage.  And Papa was more than just fatherly.  Her claims, chronicled in her book, are sickening, given that the so-called rape of her by her father occurred on her wedding eve when she was getting married, and continued for years!  Michelle Phillips (not her mother but stepmother) denies it; Denny Doherty (the other Papa of TM&TP) is said to have realized it and stopped talking to John.  It's hard to know who to believe, as John Phillips is dead and darling daughter made the accusations/revelations after his death.  Much drug usage was involved in this whole sordid affair as well.

There are so many rock n rollers who have had and are still having relationships including marriages to women much younger than themselves.  If you have the money and fame, the girls come running!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic