Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

" Ok everyone ! 30 minutes left !!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizardofozone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: " Ok everyone ! 30 minutes left !!!
    Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:31pm
Wow, wouldn't shows like 'Face Off', the sword and blade forgers, the new Cosplay series, and all other reality skill shows be wonderful to watch if the members were allowed to do what they do in real time  for a change ... they can compress the building of the item so we can actually see for once what a monster or sword builder ,ice carver, tattoo artist, or whoever can really do with the full allotted time they usually use ...  I don't think I'd enjoy being seen on tv trying to build a career when I'm given 3 days to construct a movie ready creature for example that would normally allow at the minimum ... 2 weeks in real life ... and I'm betting six month lead times are probably even the more frequent building allowances ...
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:39pm
....Okay....Confused
wizardofozone View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizardofozone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:43pm
lol ... sorry Aka, did not mean to bore you ...Ouch
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:09pm
Not bored...well kinda bored with this site right now, not your post.
Sleepy  = Bored

Confused  = Confused
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by wizardofozone wizardofozone wrote:

Wow, wouldn't shows like 'Face Off', the sword and blade forgers, the new Cosplay series, and all other reality skill shows be wonderful to watch if the members were allowed to do what they do in real time  for a change ... they can compress the building of the item so we can actually see for once what a monster or sword builder ,ice carver, tattoo artist, or whoever can really do with the full allotted time they usually use ...  I don't think I'd enjoy being seen on tv trying to build a career when I'm given 3 days to construct a movie ready creature for example that would normally allow at the minimum ... 2 weeks in real life ... and I'm betting six month lead times are probably even the more frequent building allowances ...

I can see your point woo, but the truth of the matter is that not many people here are big fans of those kinds of shows, so most of us don't really know enough about them to respond.

I've worked in designing custom fabricated, one of a kind specialty items before myself and I know that a lot of planning goes into it not to mention the lead time required to purchase certain materials that you wouldn't be likely to have just lying around.

So your point is taken.

There is usually very little reality involved with reality TV.

And welcome to the forum, btw.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 12:10am
I watch a few of those classic car restoration reality shows once in a while.  I like Bitchin' Rides.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 12:28am
I used to watch that chopper show with the loud mouthed guy who was always yelling at his son, then the other one with the tattooed guy who married the cute movie star chick, but those were the only ones.

I do enjoy watching people fabricate cool crap out metal and wood.

I also watch This Old House, Ask This Old House, and the best one for me, The Woodwright's Shop. Roy Underhill is a hoot.

But those are all PBS shows, so they've got plenty of nerd factor which I like. The cable crap is all too hip for me.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 12:38am
I used to watch This Old House regularly.  But his workshop was so incredible that it made the things he did seem completely unrealistic for the average home improvement guy. 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I used to watch This Old House regularly.  But his workshop was so incredible that it made the things he did seem completely unrealistic for the average home improvement guy.

Your use of the words "his workshop" makes me think you're talking about a different show. The reason I say that is because This Old House is not one guy, it's a team of three, four and often times, more guys. And nowadays, gals too, of course.

One of the TOH guys had his own show though. Norm Abram, one of the carpentry, wood expert guys had a show called New Yankee Workshop and his shop was, as you described, incredible. Like a commercial building with enough room to open up a disco and top of the line tools, etc.

Maybe he is the guy you watched...

He's part of TOH now.

Of course, you may also have been talking about the old show that was hosted by Bob Villa. I never watched it back then, so I don't know, but I don't think he had a workshop either.

The most entertaining woodshop show AFAIC, is The Woodwright's Shop. The host is a kook named Roy Underhill. Longest running show in the history of PBS. Does everything with 19th century hand and foot powered tools.

I wanted to post a goofy picture of him, but there are so many goofy pictures of him, I just couldn't decide.

So I narrowed it down to these three.

Great show even if you're not into woodworking.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:36am
I used to watch This Old House, but it became more like "Contractor Showcase", showing off all the expensive stuff they were going to install instead of actual DIY work...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic