Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corona Beer 'A Corona Gets Its Lime' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corona Beer 'A Corona Gets Its Lime' (video)
    Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 5:22am
Confused"Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings" ?
~~~no~~~
Let them stinkin' bells ring because
"Every time <insert.deviant.situation> a Corona gets its Lime"
Sacrilege, I say! The good baby Jeezus will be sending all the Corona ad execs straight to hell (without a lime) for making a mockery of the end of 'It's a Wonderful Life'.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:29am
From the book "The Drunken Botanist", by Amy Stewart:

"So why are some beers sold in clear bottles?  First, it's cheaper.  Second, some mass produced beers are made with a chemically altered hop compound that doesn't break down.  But if you see clear-bottled beers sold in a closed box, chances are it's because the brewer knows the taste will degrade quickly in light.  And the tradition of adding a wedge of lime to the beer?  That's just a marketing ploy to disguise the skunky flavor.Sick

the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 12:20pm
Something about this ad gets on my nerves, but I can't really place it. It might be that, while I'm not an alcoholic, I am a hardcore drinker when I do drink. I don't see alcohol as a reward for when I've been "good" so much as a kind of cheap, nasty medication to help me cope (or not cope) with bad situations.

I guess part of me doesn't like the romanticization of booze, because I can't seem to view it in such a care-free, casual light as all the smiling people in these commercials. It's not that I resent people who can drink casually, and who don't drink purely to get drunk. I just resent what feels like cynical encouragement by alcohol companies to consume their products because it's profitable for them. At least be honest that your mediocre macrobrew swill only exists to get people buzzed. I realize it's my own weird hang-ups coloring my perception, but I still find advertising booze as a reward for cool, bohemian types off-putting.

I feel the same way about pot culture. I'm totally fine with people using it recreationally in moderation. But the way certain people treat it like it's a panacea to cure all of life's problems really, really bothers me. Smoking pot is not supposed to be a "lifestyle choice" that completely defines you as a person and turns you into a complete and utter bore. Being perpetually stoned is not a badge of honor, it's just depressing. I resent the way some people oversell the "greatness" of pot while completely glossing over the negative effect it's had on a sizeable portion of users who treat it as an alternative to living.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

"So why are some beers sold in clear bottles?  First, it's cheaper.  Second, some mass produced beers are made with a chemically altered hop compound that doesn't break down.  But if you see clear-bottled beers sold in a closed box, chances are it's because the brewer knows the taste will degrade quickly in light.  And the tradition of adding a wedge of lime to the beer?  That's just a marketing ploy to disguise the skunky flavor.Sick

Approve(Wink)
Aso, Grasshopper!
*I* could write a much better book as *I* am a certified expert, because *I* have been drunk.
Adding ANYTHING to beer? Only because the beer sucks.
This includes tomato juice, chocolate syrup, shots of whiskey, lemon or lime wedges.
Just like the superior class of men (of which *I* am a 'Leader'Approve), a fine beer will age gracefully and remain stored in dark bottles. I age gracefully while storing myself in beautiful dark women.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 6:31pm
I always thought you 'put the lime in the coconut'...wait a minute, nevermind. Embarrassed

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 7:18pm
^ROFL!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 3:42am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

Approve(Wink)
Aso, Grasshopper!
*I* could write a much better book as *I* am a certified expert, because *I* have been drunk.
Adding ANYTHING to beer? Only because the beer sucks.
This includes tomato juice, chocolate syrup, shots of whiskey, lemon or lime wedges.
Just like the superior class of men (of which *I* am a 'Leader'Approve), a fine beer will age gracefully and remain stored in dark bottles. I age gracefully while storing myself in beautiful dark women.

Well, I haven't quite reached the page on chocolate syrup yet (sounds tasty), but I have learned that (when the need arises), one can make a drinkable beer (if only barely) out of just about ANYTHING:

bugs
tree bark
pine sap
artichokes
bay leaves
basil
lawn clippings
various ferns and assorted shubbery
cannabis (this would seem to have possibilities?)
cyanide  (if ever a candidate for added limes!)
curry
fungus
dandelion?!   No!  Make it stop!  Confused

Well... anything that ferments.
You get the idea.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 3:52am
Dandelion pale ale is bitter, but tasty. 
Then we have Ghost Pepper Beer, which my youngest daughter sprung on me. You could have told me it was really anything after one good swallow which gave a clear vision of the next life.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 5:25am
Kind of stupid, yes. I miss when Corona ads were quiet, with the ocean waves and seagulls making noise.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 4:11pm
Tongue Homey wants one of THESE beers:
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 5:57am
Been gone from CIH for quite a while, but this one brought me back. I generally find Corona ads annoying, but this one takes the lime!

I prefer my limes in Key Lime Pie.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

Been gone from CIH for quite a while, but this one brought me back. I generally find Corona ads annoying, but this one takes the lime!

I prefer my limes in Key Lime Pie.

Understood.  (And welcome back!)
BTW:  I prefer my limes in a Tanqueray and Tonic!  Big smile

And occasionally in my homemade Mexico-style Chicken Soup.
Buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:44am
I can’t stand this commercial. The “Corona gets its lime” is annoying, too cute, and is an outright theft from a great movie. Will be glad when it ends.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic