Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free web hosting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free web hosting?
    Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 5:27am
Anybody have suggestions for places to host web pages for free?
Seems that AOL is terminating it's Hometown sites soon, so I have to move my famous WKRP page to a new home.
Preferably looking for some place with an included stat counter (will even stoop to storing it in a blog someplace. Shocked)
Thanks!
Sponsored Links

shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 4:49pm
If Cox is an option, they still have their free homepage hosting.
was feeling nostalgic
Jack View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Fomerly Takeikin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 11:08am
Freewebs.com is decent. Last I checked all they have in the way of ads on your page is a narrow bar advertising themselves (and they don't even put that there if you elect to write your own raw HTML rather than using their WYSIWYG editor). If you want something really free and (largely) unrestricted, consider joining a Unix shell provider (if you're a Unix sort of person) like SDF and hosting your website there (they give you goodies like PHP and Perl, joy).
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 11:32pm
Avoid Yahoo! Geocities it seems every time I try to get a site of one, it gives me an error message.

It barely even works. 

but when it does work it's a relief.

and they have an annoying toolbar of ads on the right side.

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jack View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Fomerly Takeikin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 5:23pm
Yeah, you get an error message because more than three views in a day puts free users over their transfer limit. Geocities used to be decent. Since Yahoo acquired it it has hit rock bottom and started to dig. You can use it if you want, but hope you're the only one who knows about your site or it'll never be available.
bobwilson1977 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobwilson1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 5:50pm
I'd personally go with a low cost pay plan. I have several web sites and each one only costs $6 a month. That's chicken feed, plus you don't have to deal with all those annoying ads and stuff. I use digitalinet hosting.
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 6:36pm
Me, I've got space with my Internet service, BUT the damned program I am using to build my site worked fine till I tried posting it. Now for some damned reason I can't get the pages transfered correctly. I think it's something to do with Vista to be honest. Wrote that whole site on my laptop, and not it took a sh*t on me. all the  thumbnailing and photo galleries, and resizing, and descriptions..............OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
Jack View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Fomerly Takeikin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 11:33pm
A low-cost pay host is a good idea for some people. If you're going to go anywhere near that terabyte of disk space and transfer per month they claim to offer, it isn't for you, because they will cut you off if you actually move to take them up on the offer instead of using negligible resources like most people do.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2008 at 5:34am
Thanks for the suggestions!
I've slapped it into here

for now.  I'll probably put it into a few other places for long-term 'net "survivability" as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic