Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baskets? (video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baskets? (video)
    Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 7:36pm
LOL
Louie Andersen?  I thought he was a man?

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 7:43pm
Disapprove....uh, No. Not on MY idiot box.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:44pm
Uhhh WTF!?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 6:16pm
Rant time!

I saw an ad for this a while back. I was intrigued. Less by the idea of Louie Anderson in drag than of seeing Louie Anderson on television at all. I don't think I've seen him on the tube since his Family Feud days. Anyway, I happened to stumble on a couple of episodes a night or two ago and decided to watch.

Honestly, it was so-so. There were funny moments. The self-aware quirkiness that's become so insufferable thanks to films like Rushmore, Garden State, Napoleon Dynamite, etc. was kind of infuriating, though. You know what I'm talking about. That utterly contrived kind of commercial quirkiness that drips from the effete, domesticated suburbanites who flock to allegedly "weird" cities like Austin and Portland, and then never shut up about how great it is to be living in such a "weird" city: "Oh my god, a bar that doubles as a pinball arcade?! WOW! So bohemian! We're really young at heart because we have so much fun paying $4 for Busch Lights in between games of Elvira and the Party Monsters!"

Yeah, it's fun. Calm down, though. If that is seriously the highlight of your week, you're not that freakin' weird. You're just like every other slacker who hates their job and wishes they could retire at 30, despite wanting to continue living a parent-financed, bourgeois-boheme lifestyle full of artist's lofts, Starbucks coffee and farmer's markets. You're the sort of person who uses "weird" the same way people who aren't really nerds use the word "nerd" to describe themselves:

Long story short: The show's reliance on dog-tired and contrived, insipid, granola-munching, indie music-loving, Portland-grade "quirkiness" practically ruined Baskets for me. I'm too old and jaded and cynical for this crap to be "charming".
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 3:29am
^^^Hey RT - nice rant - and you brought up 'Portlandia', which is one whacked-out show. It is the kind of place I would expect to find my brother if I didn't know where he was. He would be on the 'Nerd'-side.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
dhutch62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhutch62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 7:28am
After seeing 1st ad my thoughts are like 'desperation television'! How can you be employed as a writer if you are not talented-at least not writing comedy-if that's what Baskets was intended to be-and who the heck pays for a script so lame and unrelatable? There's not one iota of humour in the commercial where Baskets' in backseat and Mother mentions having had a date to which Baskets says "What were you doing at the dump"?...I'm sorry and maybe I'm out of the loop, but that's in no way funny. Can't make it be! I like the Hyundai/NFL commercial; Wife tells hubby in-laws coming on Sunday for boat ride and he goes to pier immediately and sets boat adrift...'Not on my Sunday"!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic