Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo Tax- D J Khaled (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

He's one of those guys who has a big, long Wikipedia page with lotsa big, famous names, but ya still don't quite get what he does and why he's famous.

I looked at his Wikipedia page and while I don't know why exactly he's famous, it was pretty clear what he does. It stated, rather directly, that he's a rap artist, a radio show host and DJ(which was my initial assumption based on his "name" and mannerisms), a record producer, and the owner of a record label. Then apparently he gained new popularity based on internet memes though how that happened I didn't care enough to read about.

No fashion design?  No line of cologne?

He doesn't sing; he doesn't play an instrument.  He "produces" rap (whatever that entails) and enlists a lot of other rappers to prop him up and rap on his records. 

Not getting how that makes him famous.

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 9:52pm
ConfusedWould that be 'Three Dog Night' there, Thorump?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 11:04pm
Nope.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 11:12pm

OK, here's some Blood, Sweat and Tears trivia.

What famous band of the 60s sampled a Blood, Sweat and Tears song?
If you need a hint, block the next line:

The BS&T song was House in the Country

What do you mean by "sampled"?

AFAIK, sampling is a digital technique that didn't exist back in the pre-digital stone-age 60's...

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 11:13pm

Nope.

The Kinks?
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 3:10am
he continually says knawwhuti'msane? as a paragraph ender--I saw him on my 'estrogen show' The Talk and he is uniquely inarticulate..where do these assmunkies crop up from? I see no value in this human
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

AFAIK, sampling is a digital technique that didn't exist back in the pre-digital stone-age 60's...

Maybe "copied" or "used" is more correct.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 9:15am

Nope.

The Kinks?

Nope.

When I post the answer (later), it's not going to be that exciting---just a bit of music trivia.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 4:10pm
Well, The Kinks also have a song with the exact same title, and it even more or less uses the same melody, if you can call it that. Same fast tempo and jazz influenced style, etc.

The Kinks' song was covered by a band called "The Pretty Things".

However, if either of those two bands "copied" the other, at least with regard to the title of the song, it would be BS&T who copied the Kinks.

The Kinks released their song HITC in 1966 whereas BS&T released theirs two years later in 1968.

Other than that, if it's not the Kinks and I had to guess, I'd say maybe The Doors' song L.A. Woman might be good a candidate based solely on that a couple of bars in the middle of the song during Ray Manzarek's keyboard solo, sound very much like part of the melody of BS&T's HITC.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 6:58pm

"rap artist"

"I'll take 'Words That Should Never Be Used Together In A Sentence' for a thousand, Alex..."

Kinda like "compassionate conservative".

LOL
He's in the fitness game now? You should waddle up onto the huge treadmill yourself, you freaking swine of a man! AngryAngry

He rents out his crib as a Bed and C-rapfest? AngryAngry

Marble pillers? It looks more like some luxury hotel. I refuse to believe this assbag has acquired this kind of success!! AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry Did I say how much I hate this oaf monkey?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:58pm

Other than that, if it's not the Kinks and I had to guess, I'd say maybe The Doors' song L.A. Woman might be good a candidate based solely on that a couple of bars in the middle of the song during Ray Manzarek's keyboard solo, sound very much like part of the melody of BS&T's HITC.

Bingo!

I think Ray Manzarek admitted snatching that from BS&T for his own piano solo.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 9:27pm

Bingo!

I think Ray Manzarek admitted snatching that from BS&T for his own piano solo.

I are awesome!!!

the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 3:33am

I think it depends on how you define sampling. I believe it's only since the proliferation of commercial digital sampling technology in the 80's that the term "sampling" became synonymous with digital technology, but I do believe sampling (both in name and in practice) predates digital samplers. A lot of early electronic and hip-hop music involved analog "sampling" in the form of tape loops or real-time manipulation of vinyl records. I believe the later is specifically where the term originated.

But, even before that, there have been experiments with producing music from pre-recorded tape sources since at least the 1940's or 50's (John Cage, musique concrète and, later on, The Beatles being the most obvious and recognizable examples in my mind).

I'm not a cultural anthropologist or anything, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:33am
Originally posted by the raytownian the raytownian wrote:

I think it depends on how you define sampling. I believe it's only since the proliferation of commercial digital sampling technology in the 80's that the term "sampling" became synonymous with digital technology, but I do believe sampling (both in name and in practice) predates digital samplers. A lot of early electronic and hip-hop music involved analog "sampling" in the form of tape loops or real-time manipulation of vinyl records. I believe the later is specifically where the term originated.

But, even before that, there have been experiments with producing music from
pre-recorded tape sources since at least the 1940's or 50's (John Cage,
musique concrète and, later on, The Beatles being the most obvious and recognizable examples in my mind).

I'm not a cultural anthropologist or anything, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

You're probably right about all that.

But what Ray Mazarek, the Doors' keyboardist did, was just play a series of notes on his own keyboard, that were identical to those in a BS&T song. They didn't use an actual recording of the original music. So I guess for that reason, it wouldn't be sampling so much as just "borrowing" or copying.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic