Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I may boycott Chick-fil-A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I may boycott Chick-fil-A
    Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 11:11pm
Not because of their Christian views on everything (I'm Lutheran AKA-Diet Catholic)...
Not because of their food (It is good no matter what)...
Not because of what they say about the Cleveland Clowns (but it IS true, look)!...

It's because of their new commercials, like this one...

Look...I know this chain is owned by a Christian, but... don't do what Kirk Cameron does and make subpar entertainment!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Sponsored Links

Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 1:54am
^ If it's any consolation, Alexander Graham Bell would not even be able to get a job at the present-day AT&T.  That's how screwed up they are.

Although the commerical qualifies Chick-Fil-A for boycott status, one should also consider:

1) Chick-Fil-A is not gay-friendly.
2) Discriminates against women
3) Is a corporate bully when it comes to litigating even REMOTE infringment on their "Eat Mor Chik N" campaign.
4) Allegedly, Michele Bachmann likes them.  Reason enough right there!!
5) Food is pricey.
6) Drive-in lines are ridiculous.
7) The food is not that healthy for you anyway.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 3:13am
Sounds like they are religious as we all know they are...aaaaand, well, for the boycotters and morally-righteous...fine. More for ME (yum!).
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 2:02pm
I have a (sorta) funny Chick-Fil-A story.

Back in the mid 80's I was working a temp job at a small company that rented office furniture and cubicle dividers. Real basic stuff. Grey metal. Anyway, I met this kid there named Brian, who I became friends with though he was a few years younger than me. He was a metal head with a warped, eff'd up sense of humor like mine, but a decent kid. Big Monty Python fan. Real smart. Played in a locally known heavy metal band.

Anyway, we used to go out to lunch every day, then go into stores and f**k with people. One day, we went to the mall that was right around the corner from where we worked. I forget where we ate that day, but there was a Chick-Fil-A right inside the main entrance to the mall.

We had finished eating and were killing some time sitting on one those rest area things you often see in the middle of the concourses in malls, put there so weary shoppers can rest up before spending more money, or so husbands can rest and make themselves comfortable while their wives are in the women's clothing stores spending more money.

This particular seating was just up the way a bit from the aforementioned Chick-Fil-A. As it was the lunch hour, they were giving away little samples of their chicken as they used to frequently do. They'd take a couple of breast pieces, cut them up into cubes, put a toothpick in each and have one of their people stand in front of the store holding up the tray.

So, as we're sitting there, this young kid comes out to the little table they had set up, sets down a tray with two uncut, freshly cooked whole breasts on a plate, but notices he forgot to bring a knife to cut them up with. He turns around and goes back to get one. I just couldn't resist the impulse. I got up, walked over, snatched both breasts and brought them back over to where Brian was. Handed him one and we both sat right there and chowed down, about to choke from laughing so hard and eating at the same time while trying not to be conspicuous.

It was especially funny to see the "WTF???" look of utter bewilderment on the Chick-Fil-A kid's face when he came back with his knife and found the chicken gone.

Right about here is where you'd think the story ends, but there's more.

So the kid goes back into the kitchen (probably regaling his fellow Chick-Fil-A'ers with his fantastic tale about the disappearing chicken) returning a couple of minutes later, with two more fresh chicken breasts. Having a knife with him this time, and having learned his lesson, there's no way he's leaving the stuff unguarded again. So he does his thing and cuts the two breasts up into cubes, then puts the toothpicks into each, takes the tray, now full of chicken samples, and walks out into the middle of the mall concourse, holding it high, offering up its contents to anyone who passed by.

Being as it was time to be getting back to work anyway, we both stood up and headed towards the exit the kid was standing just inside of. "Are those free samples?" I ask him as innocently and politely as I could manage. "Yes they are!!" he replies enthusiastically. "Go ahead!!!"

So with my right hand, I reached up and snagged about half the toothpicks between my fingers all at once, taking about half the chicken cubes in one fell swoop. Brian, having seen what I did, swoops in right behind me and scoops up the rest, leaving the poor, bewildered kid standing there with a completely empty tray in his hand and a perplexed look on his face, as we pushed our way through the exit and headed outside, stumbling through the parking lot towards the car stuffing chicken cubes in our faces and laughing our asses off.

Fun times.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 2:56pm
^LOL

Where are those mall cops when you need them?

I used to say to my friends (while at the mall) "walk this way".

Then do my best 'Palsy' walk with the distorted face and everything. Evil Smile
the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 5:49pm
Chik-Fil-A have commercials? Weird. I mean, they're all around where I live, but I've never actually seen a CFA ad on TV before. Maybe they just don't air them in my segment of the country? Anyway, corny commercial, yeah. Also, it feels like an ad from 1997. I think it's the vibe of commodified, phony "attitude" and cynicism dripping from it. It has "Grunge-era" written all over it. Meh.

Don't care about the politics surrounding them. TBH, I quit eating most meat (except fish and bugs) for personal reasons anyway. But I did like their (overpriced) food. I even liked the weirdly sweet breading they use on their chicken. The commercial is still dumb. I guess it still beats what KFC have been churning out the last few years, though... *shudder*
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by the raytownian the raytownian wrote:

Chik-Fil-A have commercials? Weird. I mean, they're all around where I live, but I've never actually seen a CFA ad on TV before. Maybe they just don't air them in my segment of the country? Anyway, corny commercial, yeah. Also, it feels like an ad from 1997. I think it's the vibe of commodified, phony "attitude" and cynicism dripping from it. It has "Grunge-era" written all over it. Meh.

Don't care about the politics surrounding them. TBH, I quit eating most meat (except fish and bugs) for personal reasons anyway. But I did like their (overpriced) food. I even liked the weirdly sweet breading they use on their chicken. The commercial is still dumb. I guess it still beats what KFC have been churning out the last few years, though... *shudder*

Like I said...I have nothing against their views on the world, as a matter of fact...when the Orlando shootings occurred, Chick-Fil-A provided food for people giving blood.

The owner is Southern Baptist, I have nothing against the Baptists unless they're from Westboro...they just have different opinions than Lutherans.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:54pm
We don't have Chik-Fil-A around here and I don't see their commercials.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 8:29pm
PaWTrump Sez:
A Chik-Fil-A sammie is a good way to tenderize your meat in the passenger's seat, if you hurt her feelings, or if she's pissed at you. Just make sure she has room left for 'dessert'. 

Cry
I'm a victim! This board is rigged!
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Theoted View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 11:09pm
Right on! For those very reasons, you will never see me at a Chick-fil-a restaurant. I cannot ignore their corporate sh*t.
The past does not influence me; I influence the past!
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 5:19am
This is the one I hate... took me a while to understand what she was saying.

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 8:01am
If you watch any football, you see the commercials.  But there is no Chick-Fil-A in my area.
the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

Like I said...I have nothing against their views on the world

I didn't mean to insinuate that you did, really. FWIW, I wasn't responding to anyone's post with my own. I was just speaking generally of my own opinion, given that I know there's all kinds of noise surrounding the chain's religiosity.
Cranedy Pouth View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cranedy Pouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 12:21am
A true business is supposed to be about the bottom line, not be concerned if a gay couple Tom and Samuel want to buy a chicken meal. The restaurant is being ridiculous.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Cranedy Pouth Cranedy Pouth wrote:

A true business is supposed to be about the bottom line, not be concerned if a gay couple Tom and Samuel want to buy a chicken meal. The restaurant is being ridiculous.
I'll agree with you as long as your 'true business' for 'the fruit of the month club' is selling hot dogs
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:59am
Originally posted by the raytownian the raytownian wrote:

Originally posted by MrCleveland MrCleveland wrote:

Like I said...I have nothing against their views on the world

I didn't mean to insinuate that you did, really. FWIW, I wasn't responding to anyone's post with my own. I was just speaking generally of my own opinion, given that I know there's all kinds of noise surrounding the chain's religiosity.

Don't worry...the Baptists (which I am not) say Catholics won't be going to Heaven, but since I'm Lutheran... I think many Catholics will be talking to my mom as we speak.

I wonder if my mom told a corny joke to Phil Hartman and Robin Williams as we speak?

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 4:53am
I'm not boycotting Chick-fil-a, but I'm not going, because it's a half hour drive to get to the nearest one.  And if I really wanted a chicken sandwich from them, it would probably be on a Sunday, when they're closed...  LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:39pm

I don't think that's the issue.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I'll agree with you as long as your 'true business' for 'the fruit of the month club' is selling hot dogs
LOLLOL
Adznem View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adznem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 3:52am
Chick-fil-A is actually a disappointment.....Their chicken tastes rather blah.....Dead
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:09am
^This is pretty much true, but it has nice macros, so I buy some now and then when we're in the one town that sells it.

Honestly, though, there's a half-dozen local restaurants there that have way better chicken.

Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:12am
Their chicken is never dry. Had a Spicy Chicken w/cheddar jack, yesterday - was perfect.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:16am
I love Chick-Fil-A sandwiches.

I don't eat there because they are expensive.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:24am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I love Chick-Fil-A sandwiches.

I don't eat there because they are expensive.
They often have great coupons, which makes it even easier to justify the trip.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 9:07am
Never lived near a Chick-fil-a, so I never tried it.  Probably wouldn't, though.  I eat a lotta chicken at home.  When I want chicken from a restaurant, I want it fried and greasy, KFC-style.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic