Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shoe Carnival 'Turning Heads' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoe Carnival 'Turning Heads' (video)
    Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 7:38pm
SAY WHAT?
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 9:06pm
The girls win, of course.  Seems to be one of the cardinal rules in commercials these days...especially in male-dominated fields.

Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 3:20am
Horrid.

And doesn't even remotely pass the sniff-test  (can I say that about a shoe commercial?).

Why?
1 - during the dancing, no knives, guns, marajuana, or condoms fall out of anyone's pockets.
2 - nobody is wearing a "Hollister" shirt.
3 - no self-respecting young adult these days would engage in that wiggy-whack sign language thing, or whatever they are doing with their fingers and (crudely overdone) upper body gesticulation.
4 - nobody is playing Pokemon-Go

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 9:04am
^  Back in the 80s, the media was reporting how break-dancing was going to be the way gangs would, from there on in, settle disputes---so no guns or knives would be necessary.  I dunno how many people bought into that ridiculosity.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

Horrid.

And doesn't even remotely pass the sniff-test  (can I say that about a shoe commercial?).

Why?
1 - during the dancing, no knives, guns, marajuana, or condoms fall out of anyone's pockets.
2 - nobody is wearing a "Hollister" shirt.
3 - no self-respecting young adult these days would engage in that wiggy-whack sign language thing, or whatever they are doing with their fingers and (crudely overdone) upper body gesticulation.
4 - nobody is playing Pokemon-Go

5 - There was no crude, foul-mouthed "dissing" being hurled back and forth.

6 - No actual physical violence broke out and the police didn't have to get involved.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 4:26pm
^  Were there any tattoos?  I can't remember.  :)

ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  Back in the 80s, the media was reporting how break-dancing was going to be the way gangs would, from there on in, settle disputes---so no guns or knives would be necessary.  I dunno how many people bought into that ridiculosity.

First thing that popped into my head with this ad, those classic 80s "battles"
Comical in hindsight, I recall these in 8th grade, few kids from one school, vs another at a school dance at the Y, don't recall fist fights. Maybe in some areas, these were "respectful fights" No idea if the Bloods and Crips in S. Central LA did these before the late 80s...whos knows?

This clip from Beat Street comes to mind though. (As for those lame "Breakin'" movies, those were almost silly comedies to me. Only cool clip from that first movie in '84 was a cameo by Ice T LOL

*** Ok, now looking at this clip again for the first time in maybe 3 decades, yeah this seems a bit over the top, comical also.  This would NEVER happen today!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 8:33pm
LOL

Yeah, just a bit.

Of course, there we see the white oppressors from the police state beating on the poor black youth.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 8:52pm
That Beat Street clip was certainly over the top, but for just plain gay, you can't beat West Side Story...

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 9:17pm

^  Well, it was a Broadway play.  So, by definition...  LOL

Broadway could probably take a play about ISIS, do a little choreography, and make them seem "fabulous".

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 9:47pm
OMG!!!! Is that a gang of slender, effeminate, homosexual male dancers sashaying and twirling down the street, snapping their fingers in unison????

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 12:01am
^LOL

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

I didn't get cable TV in my own home until 1986.
I loved this video, back when MTV played music videos.

Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 2:36am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

OMG!!!! Is that a gang of slender, effeminate, homosexual male dancers sashaying and twirling down the street, snapping their fingers in unison????

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!

What's wrong with snapping your fingers?  Embarrassed
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 2:40am
Originally posted by ThatNerdInPhilly ThatNerdInPhilly wrote:

Comical in hindsight, I recall these in 8th grade, few kids from one school, vs another at a school dance at the Y, don't recall fist fights. Maybe in some areas, these were "respectful fights" No idea if the Bloods and Crips in S. Central LA did these before the late 80s...whos knows?

This clip from Beat Street comes to mind though. (As for those lame "Breakin'" movies, those were almost silly comedies to me. Only cool clip from that first movie in '84 was a cameo by Ice T LOL

*** Ok, now looking at this clip again for the first time in maybe 3 decades, yeah this seems a bit over the top, comical also.  This would NEVER happen today!

If I recall correctly, this would also have been about the time that the TV show "Cop Rock" came out.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 5:44am

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!

Snapping fingers is perceived as a threatening micro-aggression by some, as the act resembles forming a "finger gun" that makes noise.  No, really, people actually believe that Censored...  LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 2:11pm

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!

Back in the late 50's/early - mid 60's, an innocuous little thing like rhythmically and deliberately snapping one's fingers was depicted on TV and in the movies as one of the characteristics of "dangerous" people.

Being "cool" was still a relatively new thing and as such, was feared by reg'lar folk.

Yes, it was simpler times back then.

C'mon, man!
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 3:45pm

Originally posted by ThatNerdInPhilly ThatNerdInPhilly wrote:

If I recall correctly, this would also have been about the time that the TV show "Cop Rock" came out.

My God, I forgot about that mess of a show! LOLLOL I saw it once..couldn't even watch the entire thing, it was extremely awkward...never saw it again. Basically "Hill Street Blues: The Musical"

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 5:05pm
Cop Rock was the worst idea for a TV show in history.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic