Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chilis - The original Hamburger Hippies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StoningtonQB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chilis - The original Hamburger Hippies
    Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 12:15am
I just witnessed the biggest bunch of horse s--t that I have ever seen in a restaurant commercial. Chili's made the claim that when they started out them were know as the "hamburger hippies" because their burgers have grass-fed beef. Nobody knows them for their burgers and nobody ever called them that. Seriously guys... stop that s--t. Complete with fake "old" video from "back in the day when people used to call us that." Nonsense.
Sponsored Links

StoningtonQB View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StoningtonQB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 12:23am
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 5:24am
Did hippies really eat meat back then?  Thought their diet consisted of tofu, mushrooms, grass (yard clippings and smokable), and banana peels.  Oh crap, maybe that's what Chili's made their 'burgers' out of.  And that burger looks too big to be believable (never saw one like that any place I ever ate.)  Maybe they have the BK tiny hands guy doing the ad...  LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 9:01am
Never heard of a "hamburger hippie".  Maybe there's hair in the meat.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 7:52pm
I know I don't want a fried egg on my burger! Angry
A Millennial View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Millennial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I know I don't want a fried egg on my burger! Angry

it's not my thing either, but i know some people who find it tasty. a lot of restaurants are doing it because it's trendy right now.

Aside from that....

eww, i would  not call those guys in that commercial "hippies".... they look more like dirty truckers.

I'm not buying the commercial either. most hippies are/were vegetarian/vegans that eat other things for protein; they wouldn't dare touch cow meat
I am part of the target audience....and I hate it.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by A Millennial A Millennial wrote:

I'm not buying the commercial either. most hippies are/were vegetarian/vegans that eat other things for protein; they wouldn't dare touch cow meat

I dunno.  Back then (60s and 70s), hippies ate meat and smoked cigarettes.  Didn't think much about recycling, either.  It was more about the war, drugs, music, etc.  Vegetarianism was just starting to gain some traction.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 2:53am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I dunno.  Back then (60s and 70s), hippies ate meat and smoked cigarettes.  Didn't think much about recycling, either.  It was more about the war, drugs, music, etc.  Vegetarianism was just starting to gain some traction.

That's true of your run of the mill "hippie types", but I think your true, dyed-in-the-wool hippies were almost exclusively vegetarian.

Well, most of the time anyway. Except for when they'd sneak a junk food fix.

Like this mid 70's one hit wonder....

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 10:22am
I think if you're a hippie, you're allowed to eat meat as long as you get it at Whole Foods.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 10:32am
One of the supes I work with is a vegetarian.  He recently joked about how one "natural flavor" used in desserts is extract of beaver bladder.  Looked it up and sho' 'nuff, it's legally considered a natural flavoring.  It's used as a substitute vanilla flavoring.

Yikes.  LOL

(Waiting for aka ron to tell us how he loves the taste of beaver.)

Theoted View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:56am
Fake video; fake bs about their burgers.
The past does not influence me; I influence the past!
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

That's true of your run of the mill "hippie types", but I think your true, dyed-in-the-wool hippies were almost exclusively vegetarian.

Well, most of the time anyway. Except for when they'd sneak a junk food fix.

Like this mid 70's one hit wonder....

I love that song..."Big Chuck and Lil'John" turned me on to that song!...

Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 2:21am
Originally posted by StoningtonQB StoningtonQB wrote:

I just witnessed the biggest bunch of horse s--t that I have ever seen in a restaurant commercial. Chili's made the claim that when they started out them were know as the "hamburger hippies" because their burgers have grass-fed beef. Nobody knows them for their burgers and nobody ever called them that. Seriously guys... stop that s--t. Complete with fake "old" video from "back in the day when people used to call us that." Nonsense.

Hippies you say? Chillis hamburgers do an injustice to the horses and other roadkill that died for becoming their burgers. Their food just plain sucks. A lot of them open but don't stay in business too long. There's too much competition with much better tasting food. Even Crappleby's does better. Especially in ghetto areas.
Appleby's is a hit in the hood.
I approve this message.
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 3:27pm
Looks like a bunch of the Eagles eating there...its a pretty retarded retro attack on who? I don't think us oldsters love the chains that much--too average
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic