Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Volvo 'Wedding' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Volvo 'Wedding' (video)
    Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 2:29am

Disapprove"Wedding"?!!!

I see the elder gentleman in the back seat flipping a wedding ring around in his hand and 'wedding' was the LAST thing I was thinking - in fact, I was certain was about a 'Funeral'. Even the background tune drags me down...
I do not like this one - depresses me to no end.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 12:14pm
What the bell is this commercial about? From the looks of these four dad sacks it's like the guy with the wedding ringgit left at the altar. Seriously can anyone explain? What am I missing?
The artist formerly known as Madawee

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 12:32pm
Good God - I can't type on my tablet. SAD SACKS. I don't even want to think about dad sacks!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 2:51pm
The commercial is supposed to sell you on the luxury of the Volvo XC90, one hell of a fancy dandy auto, but I think 'dad in the back' looks like an all-new widower.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 10:46pm
^ Is that what this is all about? But he's holding a man's ring and the guy up front flips to a woman bride. Sigh... Maybe they just planted her prior to the nuptials so it was a wedding/funeral.

Could they be on a more desolate stretch of road?

The whole thing screams "Cry me a river."

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 12:34am
The old guy's daughter just got married, and he's in the car with his other kids on the way back from the wedding.  He's reminiscing about his own marriage.

That's my take.  It's like one of those depressing pop songs from the 70s.

In a little while from now
If I'm not feeling any less sour
I promise myself to treat myself
And visit a nearby tower
And climbing to the top
Will throw myself off
In an effort to
Make it clear to whoever
Wants to know what it's like When you're shattered

All my sorrow, sad tomorrow
Take me back to my old home
All my cryin', feel I'm dyin', dyin'
Take me back, to my old home

I'm changin', arrangin', I'm changin'
I'm changin' everything, ah everything around me
The world is a bad place, a bad place
A terrible place to live, oh but I don't wanna die

Goodbye Michelle it's hard to die
When all the birds are singing in the sky
Now that the spring is in the air
With the flowers everywhere
I wish that we could both be there

We had joy, we had fun
We had seasons in the sun
But the stars we could reach
Were just starfish on the beach

Mama tries hard to pretend
Things will get better again
Somehow she's keeping it all inside her
But finally the tears fill our eyes
And I know that somewhere tonight
She knows how much we really miss her

Shannon is gone, I hope she's drifting out to sea
She always loved to swim away
Maybe she'll find an island with a shaded tree
Just like the one in our backyard
Just like the one in our backyard

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 1:17am
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

^ Is that what this is all about? But he's holding a man's ring and the guy up front flips to a woman bride. Sigh... Maybe they just planted her prior to the nuptials so it was a wedding/funeral.

Could they be on a more desolate stretch of road?

The whole thing screams "Cry me a river."
WinkTHAT spells out my feelings on the ad - thank you, Maddy.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 11:51pm
WinkBig smileOne must feel as if our friends at Volvo actually caught this thread. I *just* saw the below commercial, which really explains not only my concerns, but may clear the air for Maddy, too...what a classy little response to explain it all.
a.) It is indeed his daughter's wedding
b.) lives in a 'remote' area? well, yea.
c.) I really like Volvos...

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 5:01am
Maybe he's sad because his hand told him "Sorry pops, no masturbating until you put a ring on it."  And he's stuck in the car...
 LOL
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 12:29pm
As if I don't have enough worries and bullsh*t in my life I now have to have a sequence of commercials to watch out for to understand what is going on in Volvo world? I could barely stomach the first commercial let alone the whole shebang.

CapeCat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapeCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

As if I don't have enough worries and bullsh*t in my life I now have to have a sequence of commercials to watch out for to understand what is going on in Volvo world? I could barely stomach the first commercial let alone the whole shebang.
  It's like those ads that stop abruptly in the middle of a scene and then the message comes on:  "Find out what happens next at (insert corporate commercial website address here)".  They've already interrupted your day with a commercial - who wants to be told to go visit a website to "find out what happens next" in their silly little mini-drama?   It's just not that important.  The utter arrogance of these people  is so transparent, it's almost funny.
CapeCat
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 4:34pm
So true about the ads but Volvos are such nice cars outside of the repair shop! 
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

So true about the ads but Volvos are such nice cars outside of the repair shop! 
Thanks for reminding me of the 1970s commercial. "9 out of 10 Volvos are still on the road". The popular response from auto mechanics was: "Well... Technically the shoulders are part of the road".Wink 
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 6:27pm
My brother had a Volvo that only died from rust - it was one of the first box-ish ones. He tried to keep it on the road by stocking extra body parts and a few parts cars, but gave up somewhere around 450,000 miles - the ride became too bumpy for him.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 7:06pm

My brother had a Volvo that only died from rust - it was one of the first box-ish ones. He tried to keep it on the road by stocking extra body parts and a few parts cars, but gave up somewhere around 450,000 miles - the ride became too bumpy for him.
My Brother bought a new 1971 P1800e. It was the first electronic fuel injection car I had driven and was quite fast. The 4 wheel disc brakes were also a first. He only had it for about 5 years but I have a friend who sold his 1980s 740 wagon (that he had sinced new) last year. I know it was 400,000+ miles and was still in nice shape. There are no rust problems here and he is one of those guys who is way over the top concerning car care. Of course I have known others who purchased new Volvos that were reliability nightmares.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 7:11pm
My younger sister and her husband have ALWAYS driven Volvos, 25 plus years now.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 8:44pm
Yea, we had family friends who bought an S70 and took us out to dinner, back in the late '90's. We may have been the ONLY people in that car as it turned out to be a genuine 'lemon' for them, which was a real shame as the car was pure luxury, comfort-wise.
Picture of 1999 Volvo S70, exterior
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 4:51pm

Yea, we had family friends who bought an S70 and took us out to dinner, back in the late '90's. We may have been the ONLY people in that car as it turned out to be a genuine 'lemon' for them, which was a real shame as the car was pure luxury, comfort-wise.
Picture of 1999 Volvo S70, exterior
Thanks Pa. 1990s S70s are the problem Volvos I was trying to remember.
ALE515 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALE515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 1:24am
So he lives in a lighthouse? If I saw any of these commercials on their own, I'd have no clue what was going on.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 2:43am
Both commercials: umm WTF!?

The only nice thing I could say is Volvos come a long way from the boxiness days of the 1970s and 1980s.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Joe Minx View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Minx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 6:50am
This commercial causes you to to work far too hard to understand what is going on.

Also one of the lines from the song playing is "I wash your dishes but I sh*t in your bathroom." WTF?

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 10:49pm
I have to have a little fun with this just to put my mind at ease.

Cleary, the Swedes are a decent lot of folks, albeit an emotional, sad bunch of people.

Being of Irish and Italian New York descent, this is how the commercial would play out...

First off, nobody in the immediate family would be in any condition to be driving AFTER the wedding. Unless you were pregnant or took "the pledge" and even that wouldn't be a guarantee anyone would be in a sober condition behind the wheel.

Tears? Oh hell, there would be tears. But thst would be because the best man said something "smart" about a bridesmaid, causing a brawl that resulted in a black eye and split lip combo.

Someone would be looking fondly at the passing Burger King/Wendys/ and Burger King neon, begging to stop.

A car would be sideways in an attempt to park in front of a place called McGuire's Pub.

Puke stains on the wedding dress. Hers or a relative's. Definitely.

Duct tape would be a major part of the car.

When someone pressed the CD button, you know damn well it would be Bono or Dean Martin emanating from the speakers.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 12:21am
LOL

The part that makes me wanna gag is when he's sitting at the lighthouse writing something (presumably, his deepest feelings) in some sorta journal.  Not something any of my Italian or Polak (well, Slovak---but that's just a line on a map) would ever come close to doing.

That, and his hipster beard, tell me he's a douche.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 2:15am
Maaaaaaaaaaady...no Irish/Italian/Chicaga-New Yawka would be caught dead in a Volvo.
Even in the trunk.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 8:58pm
[QUOTE=PaWolf] Maaaaaaaaaaady...no Irish/Italian/Chicaga-New Yawka would be caught dead in a Volvo.
Even in the trunk.

[/QUOTE

Crown vic, camaro,town car or caddy. Anything with a big trunk for uh.... luggage. Yeah that's it... luggage. I

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic