Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New music that is worth a listen!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:44pm
^  Sounds right outta '62.  I kinda like it.

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:48pm
Not new, but new to me.  I heard of it while listening to an interview with rockabilly guitarist Ben Vaughn on the radio yesterday.  A 90s collaboration with Vaughn, Alan Vega (of Suicide) and Alex Chilton (of the Box Tops):

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

These folks have been around for years - a number of albums. They're all really good.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:20pm

That whole early/mid 60's retro sound is back in vogue these days.

I think maybe Amy Winehouse had something to do with that.

Not new, but new to me.  I heard of it while listening to an interview with rockabilly guitarist Ben Vaughn on the radio yesterday.  A 90s collaboration with Vaughn, Alan Vega (of Suicide) and Alex Chilton (of the Box Tops):

Started out sounding pretty cool but then it lost me about a minute in.

Got kinda repetitive.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

WinkThese are great days - I love the resurgence of the 'White Boy R&B/Blues' that we're experiencing from Brit cousins - especially that which is fresh & original. You're right about it all coming back strong around the time of the O.D.Queen making her splash.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 1:05am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

WinkThese are great days - I love the resurgence of the 'White Boy R&B/Blues' that we're experiencing from Brit cousins - especially that which is fresh & original. You're right about it all coming back strong around the time of the O.D.Queen making her splash.

Back around the mid 80's, there was this great but short-lived cops & mobsters show that was set in Las Vegas in the early 60's, and was called "Crime Story".

Might have been Dennis Farina's first TV starring role.

Anyway, great show. But what I really liked was their choice of theme music.

I started developing an interest in that era right around then, and I think this show, along with a book about Andy Warhol & Edie Sedgewick I had been reading around that same time period, had something to do with it.

And then in '87 I saw this....

Off topic, but that clip is just another example of why there was never a late night talk show or talk show host as cool as Letterman and probably never will be ever again.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 1:25am

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Back around the mid 80's, there was this great but short-lived cops & mobsters show that was set in Las Vegas in the early 60's, and was called "Crime Story".

Might have been Dennis Farina's first TV starring role...

Big smileTHAT was my favorite TV show at the time - never missed an episode, even when it got almost 'slapstick' at the end when 'Paulie' Luca finds his boss (Taglia) and himself a nice 'safe house' in the beautiful Nevada Proving GroundsLOL; Paul Dennison's (Taglia) reaction when he realizes where Luca has put him up is one for the ages. 

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 1:13am
WinkBig smile...in March, another 'old friend' & fellow devout cyclist has a new album coming out - 'American Utopia'
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 2:01am
WinkAn ooooooold friend (looks a lot older than me) has new album coming out on April 13th, which means I got my copy two weeks ago. The first release off of it gets a little too close to my heart...

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:53pm
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 6:14pm
I like this song from our Alt Rock station, and I'm pretty sure that's a C4 (84-96) Vette.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 10:01pm
Wink...for the classy, upper-crust, better than most anyone else types, or maybe just the rest of us mellowed-out boring as f**k with no desire to offend or argue nursing-home worthy people destined to become forgotten names on rocks...

'Rock & Roll!'

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 10:15pm
Big smileWink...but then again I REALLY am liking this whole album and I can't figure out why (their first album is in 'PaW's top 15 albums of all-time'). I do like a lot of the 'Brit Electro' music scene as it all seems polished and well-thought and generates energy - I like it.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 1:11am
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 7:50am
Not a fan of anime, but I like the fresh sound of this cut...

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 5:13pm
I just heard this song on my run into town, I like it!  So does the wife who is sitting across the room. Sounds a little like David Bowie...

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:46pm
Another song from our Alt Rock station, it rocks pretty good at about 1:00. Thumbs Up

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:52am
Wink...not really all that 'new', but I bet it is new to most listeners - purists and Texans may very well remember this band.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/uncle-lucius-bids-a-final-farewell/
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:06pm
I had to go to the playlist at this station's website to find the name of this song.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 11:54pm
(I know everybody has been waiting for my new suggestions - calm down, I've been saving them and you'll get a few here and there...)
I hate groups that record albums with *1* song I can listen to.
I heard this recently and thought I was listening to a 'Lost Gem' from the late Dan Hicks...but alas, no. Most of the rest of this album I can do without (but it isn't bad).
Here's ANOTHER by a good Okie who records a heck of a song, only to leave us a bag of unlike music afterwards, which spoils an album for me. Since this album, he has a new one out full of XMAS tunes called 'SOCKS' and he has been running around self-promoting it, most recently on NPR.
...but sometimes our dreams get answered and old favorites show back up with FANTASTIC albums!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 6:31pm
This song makes me question...How many other songs, that were hits in the USA, used some other language or dialect?  I can think of two other songs off the top of my head.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:38am
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 5:04pm
Another good song from this group...

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 5:30pm
...well, maybe not so new (album is 7 years old)...but easy to listen to when working late at night...bet very few have heard of it. They've been around for years - the newest album of 'dreamscape' music is titled 'In Transit' (about 90 minutes long) and is great for background music, or music to float away to...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 6:08pm
WinkI'm totally intrigued with this album which reminds me of what could be if David Lynch was crossed with Chris Issac and they put together a soundtrack for a forthcoming 'Twin Peaks' movie...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic