Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New music that is worth a listen!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Love the guitar in this; not the singing so much.

The guitar sounds straight out of one of those old Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 8:19pm
Yeah, I like that sound.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 6:10pm
Hank III's singing style makes sense, given who his dad and grandpa are, especially considering the song is an homage/tribute to the old country guys.

On the subject of new country, it's nice to hear Steve Earle doing some country stuff again. He even got Willie Nelson to guest with him on this one.

"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 1:18am

...any 'Black Keys' fans out there?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 1:20am
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Hank III's singing style makes sense, given who his dad and grandpa are, especially considering the song is an homage/tribute to the old country guys.

On the subject of new country, it's nice to hear Steve Earle doing some country stuff again. He even got Willie Nelson to guest with him on this one.

Big smileYES! I've heard most of this as an NPR friend has it and I will soon. One of Steve Earl's very best albums!
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 2:53am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Big smileYES! I've heard most of this as an NPR friend has it and I will soon. One of Steve Earl's very best albums!

Best he's done in a long time for sure. My favorites are still I Feel Alright and Copperhead Road, but this one comes in high.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 3:11am
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Best he's done in a long time for sure. My favorites are still I Feel Alright and Copperhead Road, but this one comes in high.
'Copperhead Road' is certainly one of his best. 'Guitar Town' was a great intro for him and I always liked him because he was a 'Townes Van Zandt-student'.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 12:07am
Wink...and here we have a brand new hauntingly mesmerizing album from you-know-who.

The album is quite satisfyingly depressing as it paints a dystopian picture of our world today (what's new when it comes to Waters?) - an excellent piece of work, a thinking person's album when one wants to lay back and contemplate things that don't often come to mind, if not the last things that will, should these be your final moments since you've given up and simply need that 'last little push'. Now, I'm not suicidal or anything of the sort, but for those that feel hopeless and see no way they can personally make difference? Probably not the music for the like.

I can fall into it, but then I seem to remember every negative thing I want to forget about the last 3-4 years and, if tired enough already, I feel as if a heavy lead weight has been placed on my chest to the top of my forehead and I HAVE to get out from under it. Confused

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:29am
ShockedHOLY COW!
I've long been a Bruce Cockburn fan, but I rarely buy any of his music.
Time for change.
I'm trying to get an early release of his forthcoming album which I caught on NPR, today.
72 and the man hasn't missed a beat. This is as good, if not better, than 'Wondering Where The Lions Are' (from 'Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws')

The new album is titled 'Bone On Bone'

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:42am
ConfusedShocked...turn 90 and release a brand-new album, then die?!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 2:26am
Disapprove...this just happened. What are friends at NPR worth, I ask you?
"PaW! PaWWWW!!! WHO is THIS?!"
Nobody said a word and I was in total ecstasy - I was positive I was listening to a long-lost Lowell George & Little Feat live recording just-released box set...I made EVERYONE shut the flock up.
The NPR recording was better than this, plus they have all the musically-cool tools!
I was SO wrong, but this cut made my whole evening!WinkBig smile

NPR was playing the new live set...and I just don't listen to Bonamassa all that often - but THIS WILL BE ON THE SHELF in hours.
Live at Carnegie Hall: An Acoustic Evening
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 11:18pm
Doesn't get much darker than this.  It's about the death of singer Johnny Ace in the 50s.  Heard it on the radio last night.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 11:43pm
Back in the early 80's, Paul Simon did a song about Johnny Ace, too.

Actually, it wasn't so much about Johnny Ace per se, it was about a lot of things related to the music scene in those days and it ended it up tying into the death of another "Johnny Ace".

Below, he performs it on SNL in 1986. Unfortunately, it's not on YouTube, but I found it on Vimeo.

If the above video thumbnail doesn't work, the link below will.

If anyone is interested in watching it, that is.

Paul Simon SNL Late Great Johnny Ace
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 2:41am
Wink...a few new that haven't been overplayed, yet...kind of posting them here 'cause I bet Maddy hasn't heard them.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:35pm
^  Wow.  Not bad.  I haven't had much use for post-70s Stones, but that's kind of interesting.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:39pm

Whoever says there's no good music out there anymore, just doesn't know where to look.  I've been liking some stuff lately by Hillbilly Moon Explosion.

Just found this one.  Their cover of "Jackson":

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 8:10pm

Whoever says there's no good music out there anymore, just doesn't know where to look.

That's the problem.

You have to look for it.

It should be on FM radio like it used to be.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Whoever says there's no good music out there anymore, just doesn't know where to look.

That's the problem.

You have to look for it.

It should be on FM radio like it used to be.
FM is free radio.
XM is where it shows up and, as we all know, no 'free lunch' here.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 6:39pm
Another song from our 'Alt' radio station.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 5:00pm
Excellent new stuff from a long-time favorite....
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 5:36pm
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:29pm
^Did you listen to that song, Jimbo?

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 5:30pm
I've never been much of a fan of the Beastie Boys, I've been hearing this on the radio for a few months now.  It's better than all of the popular auto-tune crap the young people listen to these days.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 4:20pm
I saw this when it aired on TV, I couldn't find the video back then. The young lady keeps pulling her skirt down...LOL  She should add a couple of inches to the outfit if she doesn't want guys and gals staring at her coochie.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 9:08pm
WinkThis album comes out in a few weeks...Jimmy may know of this gent, but many on this side of the pond haven't heard of him. I'd suggest picking up some of his older stuff, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic